Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lens for wildlife

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

alynch
alynch  3 Northern Ireland
11 Apr 2012 - 6:36 PM

Hi i have a Canon dslr and i am looking to start photographing wildlife and was wondering what lens and range would be best for this

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Apr 2012 - 6:36 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
11 Apr 2012 - 6:54 PM

Without wishing this to sound 'flippant'... The longer the focal length - and preferably - the faster the lens is... the better.

That said, as the focal length and the speed increases, the price goes higher - and on an exponential curve. Sad

It may be that your first purchase need to be something like a S/H 300mm f4 from a reputable dealer to get you started..?? There are those better able to make actual suggestions as to specific lenses but... for me, I would consider starting somewhere about here. Smile

HTH's...

Last Modified By User_Removed at 11 Apr 2012 - 6:56 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315630 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2012 - 7:05 PM

All depends how close you want to be.

Dave_E
Dave_E  6125 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Apr 2012 - 7:14 PM

Quote: All depends how close you want to be.

or in many locations (Nature Reserves etc.) in the U.K. on how close you are allowed to get.

As to a suggestion the Canon 100-400 is used by plenty of people as a walk round lens.

AndyLeslie
11 Apr 2012 - 7:33 PM

I happily use a 70-200mm f/4L with a 1.4x teleconverter. It's half the weight of the f/2.8 version and, IMHO, faster to focus, at least on my 7D.

If you have a full frame camera, the 300mm f/4L w 1.4x is an excellent starting place.

Be aware, wildlife photography cannot be done easily on the cheap.

Last Modified By AndyLeslie at 11 Apr 2012 - 7:34 PM
stretch123
11 Apr 2012 - 7:40 PM

if you look at my portfolio of my birds they were all taken with a sigma 150-500 zoom , ive found this to be an excellent lens .approx price for it is 850
hope this helps

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
11 Apr 2012 - 7:46 PM

Also depends on what type of wildlife. Bugs are a lot cheaper than birds as you only really need a macro lens (100mm or 150mm will do).

Overread
Overread  63806 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2012 - 8:33 PM

The "best" range is normally 100mm more than you have currently when walking around and 100mm less than you have when you setup a really good hide.

That said longer is generally better - most advise that wildlife starts at 300mm with longer lenses being preferable; but also rising the cost significantly from there (esp if you want quality and long reach).

An idea of how much money you have/feel like spending/saving for would be a good starting point; as well as any idea what kind of subjects; situations and conditions you hope to shoot in.

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41108 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2012 - 9:13 PM

Most very good telephoto lenses will cost a mortgage, however there is one if your like me and want value for money.

look at this lens and test it out and see what you think it's the sigma 120-300mm f2.8 os apo dg hsm lens with a 2x converter on it it maintains all functions including auto focus and is very very good indeed.
I personally after using this lens myself have got used to it and know how well it performs, I am honestly stunned at the quality of this lens and the images you get from it.
It is a highly rated lens on the net and at a price that is comfortable compared to the inequivalent canon 300mm f2.8 prime.

canon 300mm f2.8 5500.00
sigma 120-300mm f2.8 2000.00

do your self a favour and save yourself 3500 on a lens equal to canons 300mm f2.8 lens.

Have a look at my portfolio on birds and you'll see the quality you get from this lens.

You won't buy any cheaper than this lens at this quality.

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8998 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2012 - 10:12 PM

the 120-300mm 2.8 is a stunning lens built like a tank and heavy, stellar images produced, works well with the sigma 1.4 tc, the 2x tc works great iq wise but the af is slow so either manual focus are shoot static objects.

http://www.ephotozine.com/user/garethrobinson-47135/gallery/photo/singing-starli... little sample and it printed to a3+ and is sharp sharp em sharp.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 11 Apr 2012 - 10:21 PM
Overread
Overread  63806 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2012 - 10:13 PM

Wo wo wo wo - lets not get carried away here - its still a 2K lens and that is still a big investment for many. Let's let the OP get back to give some clarification before we scare them off with big numbers.

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8998 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2012 - 10:16 PM

The look on my wifes face is scary every time i mention the sigma 800mm, im not sure why...lol but she assured me a divorce will follow if that lens ever turns up..

NEWDIGIT
NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Apr 2012 - 12:46 PM

Gareth look on the bright side once you have the sigma 800 there will not be anyone around to stop your next purchaseWink

AndyLeslie
12 Apr 2012 - 2:32 PM

Quote: Gareth look on the bright side once you have the sigma 800 there will not be anyone around to stop your next purchaseWink

....and no testes, I'd wager.

If "alynch" is just starting out, I really do heartily recommend the 70-200 f/4L. It's far cheaper than the longer lenses and take a look at my gallery to see how useful it is.

alynch
alynch  3 Northern Ireland
12 Apr 2012 - 4:12 PM

Hey thanks for all the comments i am just starting out and looking for a reasonable priced lens that will do the job to get me started.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.