Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lens for wildlife

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

tonyguitar
3 May 2012 - 4:50 PM

I agree with Brian 1208. This is only to add that the Tamron or Kenko 1.4X TC gives you extra reach with AF still functional while images remain crisp. TG

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 May 2012 - 4:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

phil1963
phil1963 e2 Member 2264 forum postsphil1963 vcard United Kingdom
6 Jun 2012 - 12:37 PM

Quote: Phil1963 and Alych, I hope you both come back to this thread and let us know how you are doing with your new lenses.
I sure like mine, although it didn't make an instant ace out of me. Maybe I should learn to use a tripod more often. TG

Well having had the lens (canon ef 75-300 f4-5.6) a little while and used it in the field so to speak, i agree with you that you really do need to use a tripod more oftenTongue the lens is not as sharp as i would have hoped,but what do i expect from a budget lens. When its a bright day the A/F is fast enough but when in the shade it can hunt around,not always but it always seems to do it when i am trying to focus on a bird i have not seen beforeTongue the problem is i have now found myself wanting to get a bit closer but cannot afford a 400/500 mm lens, so i have now ordered a 1.4x converter so when i have used it i will let you know the outcome.

tonyguitar
9 Jun 2012 - 5:17 AM

I am in the same stage as you are. Sent a us$187 money order to B&H for a Tamron 1.4X teleconverter. Should arrive this week. Looking forward to that extra reach, yet I am aware the AF will not be as reliable. We'll see how this works out. Looking to learn if this saves the purchase of a 500mm lens. TG

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014406 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jun 2012 - 8:43 PM

I don't want to rain on the parade, but using a TC on those lenses will not give you what you are looking for. To start with, you are going to lose a full stop of light that you can't afford, and you will gain another measure of frustration that you don't want.

I spent 5 or 6 years trying to put together a combination for wildlife photography after I sold my Nikon kit, and I was met by the frustrations you're getting. However, I recently got the Olympus OM-D E-M5 and the Panasonic 100-300mm lens which gives me 200-600mm at f4.0-f5.6 with no loss of light, and after taking over 2000 bird shots I'm satisfied that I finally have a combination that does the job for me. The camera is the best I've ever used, has extremely fast and accurate auto-focus and has a continuous drive of 9 fps. It has arguably the best image stabilisation system in the business with 5-axis being corrected. It's small and light and easy to use. I bought the camera at Adorama.com for $1100.00 including off-camera flash and 14-42mm lens. I got the Panasonic at Henrys.ca for $485.00. Bhphoto and Adorama sell them for $499.00. That's a great wildlife combi for a total of $1600.00. With Nikon I paid $2000.00 for the lens itself.

tonyguitar
9 Jun 2012 - 9:17 PM

That's a very interesting and constructive addition to this thread. I will admit that I have thought about the Sony mirrorless A[somthing] camera as it would allow me to use my Minolta [film] lenses. I wondered if the Sony would be quicker and more quiet without the mirror flipping up and down.
Olympus OM-D E-M5...eh? Worth looking into. TG

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314810 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jun 2012 - 9:32 PM

Quote: I will admit that I have thought about the Sony mirrorless A[somthing] camera as it would allow me to use my Minolta [film] lenses. I wondered if the Sony would be quicker and more quiet without the mirror flipping up and down

You can slap a legacy lens on pretty much anything, even a dslr.

tonyguitar
10 Jun 2012 - 3:08 AM

AAAH, With an adapter you mean...I suppose. Not sure how well that works. Thanks for the slap up the side of the head...as they say. That could be a great idea ...I'll look into it. Great way to use good and well made lenses. I like that Minolta. If only it didn't have an expensive Kodak film habit. TG

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314810 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jun 2012 - 6:13 PM

Quote: AAAH, With an adapter you mean

Yes, in the same way as a Sony nex or M4/3, even these need an adapter.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014406 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jun 2012 - 8:03 PM

Tony, you can find lots of first hand info and a few image examples in this thread.

tonyguitar
10 Jun 2012 - 8:29 PM

I'm chewing through that thread. Thanks! It's very good and enjoyable stuff. TG

tonyguitar
8 Jul 2012 - 3:23 PM

OK...Tamron 1.4X TC...First Impressions after two weeks of daily use.

[1] Macro. A clear jump in macro use....[ Its worth the $187 from B&H photo N.Y.]

[2] Long end? Not so clear. There must be more reach, yet I do not see much more advantage. Shots through the Tamron 1.4X seem to hold quality ok.

Guess I will continue to leave the TC in place with the EF 70-300mm f4 is L lens for now. There seems to be little or no penalty in AF and who knows, that bit of extra reach may save a photo or two yet. So far though, seems like nothing has changed much at the long end. Funny, I thought it would be more noticeable. TG

mikehit
mikehit  46104 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jul 2012 - 4:50 PM

70-300L is not f4, it is f4 to 5.6. If you are not using a 1D body, with the Tamron tc AF will only really work at 300mm in very good light (I have used the one on the non-L zoom) .
Tamron tcs are excellent and very close to the Canon tc in image quality.

tonyguitar
8 Jul 2012 - 7:31 PM

I think you are right. Seems there are no easy to detect difference in images with the 1.4X Tamron TC. Pixel peeping may show some however.

The jump in macro size was noticed on the first catapillar. Differences on the long end..[ what I got it for ], I don't really notice yet. Odd thing. TG

tonyguitar
24 Aug 2012 - 4:55 AM

Update:: The 1.4 Tamron TC is reached for when small stuff [macro] is in front of me. For some reason, I seem not to use the TC for bird or loong shots as much as I thought I would. Need more time with it I guess. TG

mohikan22
mohikan22  102185 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2012 - 1:00 PM

just in case, i have a Ef300 F4 IS USM L in the classifieds area.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.