Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lens Problem

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Mike_Smith
Mike_Smith e2 Member 699 forum postsMike_Smith vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
28 Mar 2011 - 6:53 PM

i have a sigma 120 - 400 lens its only 5 month old, just lately when i go to fire the shutter intermitently it wont fire. So i take out the battery put it back in and everythings ok, 30 shots later this happens again. At first i thought it was the cameras fault so i cleaned the contacts on both camera and lens, but same thing happens.
Last week i bought a new camera and same thing is happening with this one, so it must be the lens at fault what do you all think

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Mar 2011 - 6:53 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
28 Mar 2011 - 7:02 PM

Based on your input above Mike (and I' assuming you bought online), I would return it to the supplier and ask for a replacement. It might also be worth a call to Sigma UK also and get their input to the situation.

BarrieNeilPhotography

Hi Mike

After 5 months, a retailer isn't obliged to give you a replacement. I would send it to Sigma explain what has happened/is happening and ask them to look at it under warranty (don't send it via the retailer as they'll only forward it to Sigma and this will just take much longer with no benefit to yourself)

Best of luck Smile

Last Modified By BarrieNeilPhotography at 28 Mar 2011 - 7:06 PM
Mike_Smith
Mike_Smith e2 Member 699 forum postsMike_Smith vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
28 Mar 2011 - 7:09 PM

Well i bought it from jessops and i rang them today they said they wont replace it as its over 30 days old. So they said i had to parcel it up securely and take it into my local store, who will send it away for repair and it will be between 4 and 6 weeks repair time.
Im not that impressed

BarrieNeilPhotography

It's not their fault Mike.. that's the law. If it had been a couple of weeks outside this they may well have stretched a point but you can't expect them to replace it after 5 months, that's unreasonable.

As I said, send it to Sigma direct with details of your warranty. They are very good people to deal with (call them first to explain the situation) Smile

Last Modified By BarrieNeilPhotography at 28 Mar 2011 - 7:11 PM
ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41106 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
28 Mar 2011 - 7:16 PM

i have my sigma 24-70mm 2.8 in for repair at sigma i got a call today after sending it away yesterday and they have looked at it already and the price for repair is £109.00 not sure when ill get it back though.

davey_griffo
28 Mar 2011 - 7:31 PM

Quote: it will be between 4 and 6 weeks repair time.
Im not that impressed

I think you'll find that this is the "worst case scenario", which they are obliged to give you. You may well find it'll be back sooner.

Look at it this way. If they said a fortnight & it took 3 weeks, you'd be more than slightly dischuffed. If they say 6 weeks & it's back in 3, you're well pleased, & it looks like great service.

You can't win in the service sector. Smile

ChrisTom
ChrisTom  672 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Mar 2011 - 8:47 PM

I would suggest you go back to the retailer, and threaten them with the local trading standards office.
The retailer that supplied the product are responsible, so their problem to sort, not the manufacturer.

You will find that the trading standards office are the most amiable and helpful people to talk too.
They just love dealing with retailers, that don’t know or unwilling to trade within the sale of goods act.
If this lens has not been damaged by yourself, and has developed a fault within five months, it will be deemed not fit for purpose.

Chris R.

BarrieNeilPhotography

Quote: I would suggest you go back to the retailer, and threaten them with the local trading standards office.
The retailer that supplied the product are responsible, so their problem to sort, not the manufacturer.

Sorry Chris, but that's complete tosh Smile. The retailer has an obligation to replace if faulty within 28 days. After that, their obligation is to effect a repair which means returning it to the manufacturer. They are under absolutely no obligation to replace it. Some companies will replace but it depends on how altruistic they are feeling and how much time has passed since the purchase (5 months is a very long time to 'find' a fault) Smile

Last Modified By BarrieNeilPhotography at 28 Mar 2011 - 9:05 PM
BarrieNeilPhotography

I meant to add, as the goods were not faulty at the time they were purchased

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41106 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
29 Mar 2011 - 12:29 AM

I am a retailer myself and there has to be fair play on both sides you can't expect monies back or replacements after five months of use, i am sure most people have common decency but who's to say they are not just bored with there product and want to replace it for something else if money was to be given back.
We as a country would have no shopping left as we would all go bankrupt from people simply replacing goods all the time.
Most companies including mine will go out of there way to help the customer however just because we do that it is not law we have to do that and quite frankly threatening a company with trading standards is far from helpful and quite frankly you would get no where with that attitude if it were toward me.
I am Human and like respect as i give respect and will help anyone that has a polite manner even if it is not my fault, however i can't see myself helping someone who is impolite and threatening.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014207 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
29 Mar 2011 - 3:30 AM

Lessons are usually expensive. Next time think about buying an extended replacement warranty; they're pricey, but they can pay off in spades.

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63201 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
29 Mar 2011 - 2:32 PM

Not sure an extended warranty is appropriate here. If the goods have failed after only 5 months that should be covered by the manufacturers guarantee which would normally be for a year.
If you send it back to Sigma with an explanation, they should repair it FOC. As others have said, going direct to the m/f will be quicker than going to the store who will just forward it themselves with further delay.

Mike_Smith
29 Mar 2011 - 3:45 PM

I took the lens to my local jessops store who will package it up with a full explanation of the problem, and send it straight back to Sigma. Sigma will either repare or replace it. and they said it could be 4 weeks but its possible it could be quicker we will see, so im happy with that. Ill let you know how it goes thanks

Mike_Smith
19 Apr 2011 - 7:20 PM

Ok update on my lens, it took exactly 3 weeks i got it back today fully repaired. New AF motor and re calibrated, i have tested it out all seems great.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.