Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lens upgrades without making me homeless!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    IFIMAGE
    IFIMAGE  6143 forum posts Wales
    7 Nov 2012 - 11:02 AM

Hi I own a Sony A580 and for my budget I'm happy with it as a Camera, not that bothered with the other whistle and bells. What I need advice on is lenses, I have a Tamron 90mm macro lens I'm happy with that one I have used it for sports and wildlife if lighting is poor . A second-hand minolta 75-300mm ok at 200mm and F8 again in good light, Minolta 28-100mm , 18-70mm Sony kit and a 18-55 sony kit. I have come to the point now when the glass is letting me down so I'm after a lot of advice please, 18-70 F2.8 and 75-300mm or 75-400mm f2.8 I know it's a huge opened question budget Is the least amount possibly 2nd hand, I like the 90mm Tamron the feel quiailty of image. It's all down to you guys who do this for a living or have been photographers for years. If there are good ones to chase 2 nd hand fine but if you think I'm wasting my time that's the advice I'm after

Cheers Ian

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Nov 2012 - 11:02 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

CTee
    CTee  746 forum posts United Kingdom
    7 Nov 2012 - 1:29 PM

Hello,
    You say your glass is letting you, but in what areas? What is it that you are trying to achieve that you currently can't with what you have?

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53469 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Nov 2012 - 1:39 PM

You point out that primes (the 90mm) are better than zooms - and your quite right, a prime is often sharper and cheaper than a zoom so that's a starting point.

Do you need IS on your lenses? if you think so what about a good tripod and mirror lock up instead?

Like you I feel the next lens spend will be many hundreds or even over a 1000 for a worthwhile step up - frustrating.

Renting a lens can be a good way of evaluating what works for you. Or look at the exif data of people who do waht you like well and see what they use.
    Sorry as a canon user i can't advise on specific Sony fit lenses.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Nov 2012 - 1:47 PM

Quote: I have come to the point now when the glass is letting me down

Can you point us in the direction of some of your photos where you feel the lens is at fault? Smile

llareggub
    llareggub  3638 forum posts United Kingdom
    7 Nov 2012 - 5:05 PM

I think the best way to get a good answer is to define which focal length you want to work in t start off with, I have never shot with a Sony so cannot comment on current lens selection but the Tamron 17-50mm (non VC) is a darling of a lens, I used to have the Canon 17-85 but never found myself shooting beyond 50mm very often so happily sacrificed the reach. But without knowing what focal lengths are your most comon it is really difficult to recommend anything specific.

We would all love a 17-500mm lens with a fixed apperture of f2.8 with amazing image quality at about 1000GBP but it does not and never will exist, but if you narrow down where you shhot now and where you want to shoot then there are sme amazingly good lenses on the market at a "reasonable" price Grin

IFIMAGE
    7 Nov 2012 - 5:38 PM

Thanks for the comments

The camara has anti-shake in the body and works quit well I can shoot hand held low shutter speeds low iso etc.
    Main lens problem on the Minolta 75-300mm is purple fringing and very poor autofocus @ 200mm and above I use manual focus for football (sons) if I step to F8 400iso they shots are to me of a sharp well ballanced image little to no edditing needed, i could use higher Iso but then to crop bla bla! Smile The same could be said about the Sony 18-55mm Sony kit 18mm is wide enough for me,70mm rather than 55mm is what I'm looking at. The Tamron I love the mages are a world apart at the speed and quality I need. It's an open ended question I know but the realflife info is priceless.

Cheers Ian.

thewilliam
    7 Nov 2012 - 6:26 PM

Open some of your favourite shots and look at the lens data - focal length and aperture. This will help you to choose the focal length of your next upgrade purchase.

If a lot of pix were taken with the lens wide open, it's worth getting the wide aperture version. lf they were all taken at f8 or f11, save some money by getting the entry model.

IFIMAGE
    7 Nov 2012 - 6:57 PM

Tamron SP 17-50mm F2.8 Di II LD Zoom lens for Sony This is the one I have been looking at and the reviews are favourable, and llareggub you have used on and liked it. I'm self-taught and ended up with Sony because my second Camera was a Minolta Bridge A200, wish I had keep it cracking little camera, and Then the Sony A300 and now Sony A580, I find cameras are like Mobile Phones who ever gets to buy the latest all singing and dancing one it has to be the best! With Cameras it's Nikon v Canon etc I take Photos because I don't know? I enjoy it and it takes me away from it all and I have an end result Smile
    Thanks for the info so far

Cheers ian..

GlennH
    GlennH e2 Member 81820 forum postsGlennH vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Nov 2012 - 7:29 PM

This seems quite interesting for anyone doing a bit of shopping. A Flickr-fed page that collates photos with access to full-sized files and indexes them. Only found it today.

llareggub
    llareggub  3638 forum posts United Kingdom
    8 Nov 2012 - 8:41 AM

I have no complaints about the 17-50, very sharp even wide open it is pretty sharp, although the edges can be soft wide open at 17mm but I get the feeling that is a common trait and certainly does not have an impact on the way I shoot. AF is a little noisey but it is accurate and to my mind relatively fast although your body has a part to play here, AF on my Canon 50D is much more accurate and responsive than with my 450D but again that is always going to be the case Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.