Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

LensBaby

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
pascalg
pascalg e2 Member 737 forum postspascalg vcard France
31 Aug 2010 - 9:49 AM

Seems to be a real interest in this lens amongst the reality? group members...
let's start a topic about it in the forum...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Aug 2010 - 9:49 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014812 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2010 - 9:56 AM

I have 2 and they're ace

V2 and the Composer

frz67
frz67  4 Italy32 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2010 - 10:09 AM

OK, let's start showing off our weapons!
I have the composer with double optic, plastic optic, pinhole/zone plate and single glass.
Never used the pinhole/zoneplate and I will ask you some advice on its "properties"
francesco

pascalg
31 Aug 2010 - 10:18 AM

some samples of zone-plate can be viewed in my pf :
for example : lac de Longemer

I stopped using it, because; usually, people don't like blur Grin
but will use it again...

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014812 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2010 - 10:27 AM

I like the zone plate and pinhole, but alas, being such small apertures, you see every single spot of dust and scratch and gremlin on your sensor - can be an ordeal cloning them out so I rarely use or edit anything with them. My cameras a very well used 4.6 year old thing Sad

bless

I've got the 3 screw on optics, but they're not ideal for FF cameras, you bend a little bit and they vignette straight away. The 21mm adaptor is virtually useless, the chromatic abberations are awful.

The creative apertures are my favourite things - especially shooting at night in cities, all the backdrop turns to stars or hearts or.... whatever you cut out Smile

ade_mcfade
31 Aug 2010 - 10:33 AM

Here's a lensbaby shot of my mate Chris, extreme bending to the right on this one

18097-1259949650.jpg

pascalg
31 Aug 2010 - 10:53 AM

excellent shot (& selenium toning! )

woolybill1
woolybill1 e2 Member 7woolybill1 vcard United Kingdom65 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2010 - 10:59 AM

Composer - double glass - single glass - plastic optic - zone plate/pinhole - 0.42x super-wide attachment - fisheye. Those in bold form my usual LB kit, with the Composer attached to my old D70 (no real need for 12MP when I'm deliberately messing with the definition).

The pinhole is not really usable without a tripod, not my preferred companion for general photography. At f144 it is particularly difficult to focus through the viewfinder; it's simplest to focus in zone-plate mode before moving the slider across, though care must be taken to hold the focusing ring with the other hand.

I received the following comment on this LB pinhole attempt from MickS, who has experimented with most photographic media:

Quote: Pin-hole? whatever they call it on the box, it ain't pin-hole; I think Lensbaby has a lot of work to do to get the pin-hole effect. One of the main qualities of PH is that the tiny apperture gives almost unlimited D of F and pin sharpness at the central area, it then falls off to the edges, just about every PH pic I've seen, and taken, follows that formula, although it ain't carved in stone

Since then I have not used the optic in question, simply because I can't fit more in the bag! When I have a suitable subject I'll go back to it.
By contrast, the Zone Plate gives a rather dreamy, soft effect (but not unsharp); I am not totally convinced that I need the Soft Focus optic when I already have this, except that it's undoubtedly faster; I don't shoot many portraits!

While I am a great fan of the LB I am also the first to admit that it's an acquired taste. By and large this Group appreciates the LB, which I applaud. But it is a means to an end, not an end in itself: a fast 50mm lens is a cheaper option. I have both, but then I'm nuts Smile

pascalg
31 Aug 2010 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for your contribution, Bill Smile

totally agree about the PH : not the right effect yet

Last Modified By pascalg at 31 Aug 2010 - 11:14 AM
ade_mcfade
31 Aug 2010 - 11:17 AM

I've just been to the site and seen that they have added a fisheye optic.

After the disappointment with the ultra wide (on full frame) I'm a little relucant to shell out the 100 for one... has anyone had experiece of usin this on a FF camera yet?

Be good to see some results... be even better if it's actually good Wink

woolybill1
woolybill1 e2 Member 7woolybill1 vcard United Kingdom65 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2010 - 12:52 PM

Not having a full-frame camera I can't comment on LB effects with one, though I understand the LB was originally conceived for full-frame. The ultra wide at least gives cropped-sensor users something wider than a telephoto to use (I discount the 'normal' LB 'wide' optic) but you can't bend it very much without vignetting.

The fisheye is a lot of fun on APS-C but no substitute for a real circular fisheye, not that I have one. It does give the opportunity to get really close and inclusive. But it requires f11 for acceptable sharpness across the frame: compare f4 and f11. The vignetting is far from total on APS-C, though it can be encouraged in software.

AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 6612 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States42 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2010 - 7:13 PM

Composer, plastic optic, double glass optic, soft focus optic, wide angle optic, macro attachments, and I'm just about to get the extra wide angle, although I notice Ade isn't too pleased with it? Care to expound a bit more on what you essentially were unhappy with Ade?

Love using this, I'm finding myself thinking more creatively. Will I use it all the time, probably not, but for now, while I'm learning, it's the only lens on my camera.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2010 - 7:31 PM

Still using the 2.0 and 3g and not yet used any of the optic swap system, can`t see the point unless my two brake. If I want a plastic effect i just drape plastic over the lens, for soft focus the wife looses her tights Smile

The 2.0 is my main walk about lens, the 3g does`nt see a great deal of use, once in a while I might get a tripod out and do a bit of focus stacking.

More people should get out and give them ago, there easy to get the hang of, bellow a few taken of me by my youngest daughter.

1-p5232704sophie.jpg

1-p5301145.jpg

1-p5301133sophie.jpg

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 31 Aug 2010 - 7:36 PM
Strobe
Strobe  71254 forum posts United States
31 Aug 2010 - 8:08 PM

I recently bought the Muse, I like the raw grit of it

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2010 - 8:41 PM

Quote: I recently bought the Muse, I like the raw grit of it

Pretty much identical to the old 2.0 and I love mine Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.