Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Lensbaby Composer

15 Apr 2010 9:34PM
Has anyone used or got one of these?
Are they worth getting and do you have any examples you have taken using one?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
15 Apr 2010 9:41PM
Out of interest, why do you ask?

Smile
15 Apr 2010 9:51PM
Was looking for a new lens and came across one. Looks fun but have never seen one before so wondered if it was worth a punt or if they are rubbish!
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
15 Apr 2010 10:23PM
It will be either the best or worse lens you ever got, down to you.
15 Apr 2010 11:20PM
I recently went a bit mental and bought one, to compound the insanity I also got several of the 'bits' plastic lens, wide angle converter and zone plate.Only just getting to grips but I really like it!
I wanted a change from the 'uber tech' and try a completely different kind of imagery, free from 'is it spot on sharp, to 'is it intreresting' so far much appears to be. It might achieve fisheye, or ringflash status, used like crazy for a week, then put on the shelf for ever more but I think the challenge with the Lensbaby is to actually previsualise a subject in Lensbaby terms and take the photo, and this should keep it from being a doorstop.
NevP
9 853 13 Canada
16 Apr 2010 12:10AM
I would recommend checking out Ollie's pf (Bliba).

Also a few in mine.
User_Removed 8 2.1k 7 England
16 Apr 2010 6:41AM
I'm with Nev, Ollie is the master I think. I have one too and do love it, which optic are you thinking about? I have the pinhole one which is really good fun. It's a very specific thing really, you will either love it or leave it in your bag I expect.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
16 Apr 2010 8:42AM
Here's a selection that have been tagged correctly or have lensbaby in the title: Photos taken with lensbaby . They won't all be with the composer but the result is similar.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
16 Apr 2010 9:57AM
The lensbaby is a great bit of kit - very organic compared to normal lenses, manual focus, manual aperture rings etc. etc.

It is a pleasure to use - that's the main point to bear in mind when people suggest you simulate the same effect in Photoshop. The whole joy of Lensbaby is in the using it.

Get the creative aperture kit - you can get your subject surrounded by stars or love hears, or any shape you "cut" out of an aperture - I got a snowflake and a cat... amongst other thjings.

I still use it a lot, but rarely post stuff on here as it's as popular as a dose of Ebola Wink
16 Apr 2010 10:08AM

Quote:
I still use it a lot, but rarely post stuff on here as it's as popular as a dose of Ebola Wink

I had noticed that, too. Why, I wonder?
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
16 Apr 2010 10:21AM
no idea - but I think the blurriness puts people off

there's a mad dash for "sharpness at all costs" on these sites

An image which is entirely blury does not compute in many.

I think the lensbaby appeals to the more "artistic" or "creative" photographers - though I may be wrong there? who knows
16 Apr 2010 10:57AM
For sure it's not an easy thing to use. I have the Lensbaby 2 and it is quite a challenge to

get the 'sweet spot' and keep it whilst making the exposure - I reckon about 1 in 5 shots

are useable. Probably it's me - need to practice more!
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
16 Apr 2010 11:05AM
you can use Av exposure mode on canon bodies - that helps with the exposure part.

The V2 is probably the "classic" lensbaby, you literally just squeeze a springy bit of plastic to focus.

the composer offers a lot more control and has a focus ring just like a normal lens - and it stays where you put it so you can do HDR if you like.

also, using smaller apertures increases your hit rate - if you shoot at F2, the sweet spot is miniscule and virtually impossible to get right - though i do like the exteme blur effect from it.
16 Apr 2010 4:52PM
Thanks for the hints. I've found that a bulldog clip can squeeze the bellows of my lensbaby, so that it stays in position.

Focussing is generally done by moving the camera, or subject! I have found, though, that my auto macro converter allows a bit more

control. Must give it a try, this weekend for some HDR shots!
Strobe e2
7 1.3k United States
16 Apr 2010 5:25PM
It really depends what you are looking to do with the Lensbaby. I have been researching it for weeks, this week I took the plunge and went for the plastic Muse. I find it more basic and I think it will allow me to be more creative therefore creating better abstracts

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.