Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Lenses

triumph 5 18 United Kingdom
20 May 2009 11:50AM
AHi I have been talking to someone today who has an film style olympus slr his late fathers . Would it be possibleto use ie flashguns and lenseson my Olympus 400 body and how wouldthey work thanks olwendd a topic!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

kenlister 7 6 United Kingdom
21 May 2009 6:31PM

Quote:AHi I have been talking to someone today who has an film style olympus slr his late fathers . Would it be possibleto use ie flashguns and lenseson my Olympus 400 body and how wouldthey work thanks olwendd a topic!

Flashguns are a big no! Trigger voltages for old flashguns are so high, they would fry the electronics in a modern camera.
OM Zuiko lenses are fine with an OM to 4/3 adaptor subject to several limitations: Manual focus only. Manual aperture setting. Infinity focus is likely to be before or after that indicated on the lens. Trial and error to find the best exposure compensation amount and metering method for each lens. Due to small viewfinder, telephotos are easier to use. Live view cameras are easier to use. Once you have sorted out the best settings, though, results can be excellent. The best lenses, unfortunately command a premium price, despite their age. Other makes of lens can be used with the appropriate adaptor.
zach1 5 15 United Kingdom
21 May 2009 6:45PM
Actually the flash voltages vary considerably between models. I use an old T20 flash off camera and on. I used a multi-meter and the trigger voltage came out at 5.7V or there abouts. I also have an old Sunpak flash that has a trigger voltage of about 60V, diffinately unsafe. My advice is test the voltage and if in any doubt just don't do it.
As for OM lenses you can get 3rd party adaptors with AF confirm. Check that it works with your model and Firmware. Some vary, especially with older models. Another option is seeing if you can get a 3rd party split circle, old style, focus screen. I have heard mixed reports about the accuracy of these, possibly because you have to fit them yourself and you have to fit them right.

Zach
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
21 May 2009 9:12PM
There`s an Olympus 4/3 lens compatibly chart available, can`t find it on any site now, so added the pdf to the download section, could be a day or so before it appears.

Quote:As for OM lenses you can get 3rd party adaptors with AF confirm. Check that it works with your model and Firmware. Some vary, especially with older models. Another option is seeing if you can get a 3rd party split circle, old style, focus screen

Focusing screens, and focus conformation chips are a waste of time, just use your eyes.

Get the Olympus adapter, more expensive but worth it and prime lenses will give the best performance.

Metering and ttl flash should work fine in centre weighted metering setting.

I`ve used the T20 with no problems be it just basic in auto or manual.
triumph 5 18 United Kingdom
21 May 2009 10:16PM
[bthankyou I needto find exactly what he has and I will keep you posted been to acamera club tonight I must admit older generation BUT friendly feel good about meeting up inSeptember][olwen triumph/b]
22 May 2009 10:48AM
Paul, I'm interested in why you feel the Olympus adaptor is worth it. It is hard to find for less the 60. This is x10 the price of some of the 3rd party ones. It doesn't seem to offer any benefit over the others accept that it has Olympus stamped on it. Also manual focusing on an e-5xx is not that easy if you are using it for anything except macro work in my experience, all be it limited.

Zach
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
22 May 2009 8:09PM

Quote:Paul, I'm interested in why you feel the Olympus adaptor is worth it. It is hard to find for less the 60. This is x10 the price of some of the 3rd party ones

Why, because you pretty much get what you pay for.

I`ve seen some terrible third party adapter`s, from one`s made of brass with the plating falling off to very cheap brittle alloy.

Quote:Also manual focusing on an e-5xx is not that easy if you are using it for anything except macro work in my experience, all be it limited

My own eyes are not that brilliant, focusing has never given me a great deal of problems on any 4/3 body that I have used, any kind of auto focus can be easily fooled.

If your having problem`s focusing manually, then you need to get out and practice.
22 May 2009 9:46PM
I agree that you get what you pay for but Warehouse Express are taking the mick. 151.79 . The lowest I've seen it is 86 and I just don't feel that this can be worth it for what is effectively only a spacer. I have never had any trouble with my 3rd party one but it wasn't the cheapest of the cheap and isn't AF chipped.

Zach
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
22 May 2009 9:55PM
That is expensive, Amazon have some for about 90 quid and still not cheap I know.

But they do come in a beautiful presentation box Smile Smile

I think its still possible to get the Dandy lion chip and fit it yourself.

The compatibility chart is now up, a PDF file.

They recommend that you don`t use any lenses wide open, can`t say I`ve had any problems myself.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.