Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Lenses for Mull

barnowl e2
9 697
23 Jan 2012 9:41PM
This may seem a daft question with an obvious answer but has anyone been on the mull charters boat Lady Jayne to photograph sea eagles? If so is a 300mm long enough or something longer required?

Many thanks

Gary

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Rev2 e2
4 240 2 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2012 10:29PM
Sea Eagles have an eight foot wingspan and they come pretty close when the fish are thrown out. A 300mm lens should be adequate just hope for fine weather!
24 Jan 2012 11:05AM
Make sure you take some seasick pills with you!

I agree, between 200 and 300 will be ideal for the eagles.
MeanGreeny e2
9 3.7k England
24 Jan 2012 2:50PM
Take 2 bodies with different lenses. The one you want will always be 'the other one'. Smile
barnowl e2
9 697
24 Jan 2012 3:31PM
Well hopefully I will have a EF 70-300 L IS lens by then so that may be the answer.
24 Jan 2012 5:19PM
It deppends how close to the boat they come! I have been on that boat a few times and used a 500mm on a 1D and found it just about right but longer would have been a bonus.

It was very windy when I went out and the sea was quite choppy and looking down a 500mm when trying not to fall over and avoid bumping into other people on board was quit a challenge in these circumstances the zoom might be a better choice!

If I was to do it again I would have a zoom on one body and a 500/600 on another.

The advantage of a longer lens for me was being able to pick up the bird further out I got some nice shots of the bird with the coast and hills in the back ground instead of just sky.

lrg-29840-1274021153.jpg

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.