Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lenses for Nikon for sports and portraits

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    andrewwhite
    19 Sep 2012 - 9:03 PM

I am looking to shoot hockey and I am not sure what would be the best lens for this purpose ... I currently have a 50mm 2.8 - a 24-85mm and a 70-300mm lens ... what should I look at add to my three I own already.

Also I am wondering on on thing about portrait photos indoors - I have been using my 24-85mm lens for indoor shoots with a exteral flash - but I have been having a lot of shadow in behind the people. sugguestions on what I should do to help correct this. I have tried different angles for the lens and that just darkens the photos - and I had them move away from the walls and that didn't really help either,.

Thanks in advance ...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    19 Sep 2012 - 9:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314903 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Sep 2012 - 9:28 PM

An 85mm

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41176 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Sep 2012 - 9:34 PM

How far are you looking to be from the action?

I have shot rugby, football and kids football from the touchline and from behind the goal line, with a nikon 24-120. using a 24-85 should be fine for a lot of the action, and your longer zoom for picking out action further away. A faster lens rather than a different range might help....if you can get a f/2.8 zoom it will give you faster shutter speeds, but it isn't essential as you can use a higher ISO. Better a grainy sharp shot than a blurred one!

But it all depends on how and what you want to shoot. I wouldn't rush into spending money, which might not improve the photography anyway. What you have should be fine for starting until you identify where your kit is deficient.

As far as the flash question, a diffuser will help, as will a reflector to bounce light back into the shadows. With one flash you are always going to have directional light, and where you move the light will determine the look of the shot. Two flashes will even the light, and having one on lower power will add modelling to the subject, but that is a whole different subject.
    A diffuser such as a Sto-fen will help. You can also bounce the light from the ceiling or nearby wall, just be careful of the colours which might affect the shot! You can use a bit of white card for a reflector to start with, and crumple some tin foil then flatten it out to stick to the back of the card for a stronger effect (straight foil is too strong and will give hotspots).

Ingenuity is better than spending loads of cash!

Nick

Stuart463
    Stuart463 e2 Member 6555 forum postsStuart463 vcard United Kingdom
    19 Sep 2012 - 9:39 PM

Your 70-300 (I assume f4-5.6) should be ideal for hockey photography. I recommend using a monopod for stability and upping ISO in gloomy conditions. VR also comes in handy.

Regarding your question on indoor flash - have you tried bouncing the flash off walls or ceilings to reduce shadows?

Regards, Stuart

nickthompson
    19 Sep 2012 - 10:39 PM

Agree with Stuart463, the 70-300mm should be o.k. I shot alot of my son's rugby using that lens.Keep the aperture at 3.5 for 70mm and 5.6 for 300mm, this should blur the background. I also kept the ISO on Auto and used aperture priority. As for the flash, it does sound like you need to bounce it. If you can't try and defuse it somehow.
    Nick

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62431 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    20 Sep 2012 - 9:41 AM

You have not said whether you are DX or FX - and whether you have loads of money Smile
    For sports like hockey f2.8 zooms like a 70-200 and 300 and 400 f2.8 primes are what a full time pro would aim to buy - but combined cost more than quite a few cars bought new.
    They are preferred because of faster AF and better ability to be used in low light than a 70-300 working at f5.6.
    For portraits ideally you need more than one light and things like softboxes and reflectors to avoid unwanted shadows.
    For indoor portraiture controlling the light is usually a lot more important than the equipment used.
    For DX a 50mm f1.8 is a good choice. For FX there is a good case for an 85mm portrait lens for head and shoulder individual portraits.

User_Removed
    20 Sep 2012 - 10:09 AM

As you are in Canada, Andrew, I am guessing that when you say "hockey", you mean ice hockey rather than normal hockey. That being so, I would go with Len's suggestion of a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens.

As Len also says, for indoor portraits really are best taken with at least two light sources - even better with three unless you have natural backlighting. Softboxes and reflectors give different results and you need to experiment to get the type of rendition you are seeking.

On a DX camera, your 50mm lens should be fine. On FX, your 24-85mm at the top end should be OK.

This one was taken with one flashgun refected from an umbrella at about 45-degrees 4 feet away from the baby on the RH side, a silver reflector at a similar distance and angle on the LH side and a second flashgun with a snoot behind the girl slightly to the left of centre:

grace-3.jpg

Last Modified By User_Removed at 20 Sep 2012 - 10:13 AM
    puertouk
    puertouk  21053 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Sep 2012 - 11:19 AM

Try using bounce flash, that should remove dark areas. Portrait lens 70-200mm.
    Stephen

andrewwhite
    20 Sep 2012 - 1:39 PM

Re: Regarding your question on indoor flash - have you tried bouncing the flash off walls or ceilings to reduce shadows?

I have tried to bounce the light - the client seems to complain about how bright the image is after the shot is taken.

andrewwhite
    20 Sep 2012 - 1:44 PM

Re: You have not said whether you are DX or FX - and whether you have loads of money

Who really has lots of money these days ... I don't at this point in time.

the 70-300mm is a Nikon AF Nikkor 4-5.6G

I have gotten some good shots so far using it for hockey this season ... what would be good settings to start with when shooting indoors at a hockey rink??

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62431 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    20 Sep 2012 - 3:48 PM

Quote: I have gotten some good shots so far using it for hockey this season ... what would be good settings to start with when shooting indoors at a hockey rink??

In days of old when photographers had no more than 2 shots per game they concentrated on peak action - perhaps the start of play.
    With something like a D300 or D7000 set 1600 ISO or higher - and accept some noise with images bigger than typical web size.
    Also accept focus tracking may not keep up with players moving very fast with a lens at f5.6.
    You can get far more good shots than in days of old - but not as many as a pro with pro equipment.

NikUser
    NikUser  1 United Kingdom
    28 Sep 2012 - 12:30 PM

Moving away from the wall will def help, you could also consider using flash compensation to reduce the power so you don't 'nuke' your subjects.

Using Manaul will give greater control.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.