Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Lenses for puffins

joolsb e2
10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
10 Jun 2009 7:57AM

Quote:Lenses for puffins

Why? Surely they can see perfectly well already...?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rowarrior e2
7 4.4k 9 Scotland
10 Jun 2009 9:07AM

Quote:Quote:Lenses for puffins

Why? Surely they can see perfectly well already...?

Well now, how do you know there aren't some poor short-sighted puffins out there?!
Debs_Rocker e2
6 303 2 United Kingdom
10 Jun 2009 9:40AM

Quote:Quote:Quote:Lenses for puffins

Why? Surely they can see perfectly well already...?Well now, how do you know there aren't some poor short-sighted puffins out there?!

It'll be the glare from that beak that's the problem!
joolsb e2
10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
10 Jun 2009 10:23AM

Quote:Well now, how do you know there aren't some poor short-sighted puffins out there?!

Natural selection. Wink
cambirder e2
11 7.2k England
10 Jun 2009 1:04PM
I visited Mull many years ago, I can recommend getting a trip to the Treshnish Isles. You can get real close to the Puffins so you can get away without a long lens.
rvanr e2
11 36 United Kingdom
10 Jun 2009 1:25PM

Quote:I visited Mull many years ago, I can recommend getting a trip to the Treshnish Isles. You can get real close to the Puffins so you can get away without a long lens.

I was there in May this year: The Three Musketeers
Hundreds of them around. Because they are not used to humans you can get really close (take care not to damage their burrows!) This was taken with a 24-205 zoom.
rowarrior e2
7 4.4k 9 Scotland
10 Jun 2009 2:35PM
Hi guys, thanks for the advice, and to Cheryl for answering my pm too. I think I'm going to go with the 300 F4 and a converter, and if any of them do wander closer I have my 28-135 too (plus the Tamron from hell lol)

I have a beanbag, is a monopod vital, or will handholding work?
justin c e2
11 4.6k 36 England
10 Jun 2009 3:15PM
I probably wouldn't buy a monopod specifically but if you already have one there would be no harm in taking it. Personally I'd much rather a tripod.

Handholding should certainly be possible. It's quite likely that you'll be shooting the puffins at eye level, in which case, you should be able to keep the camera nice and steady by keeping your elbows firmly on the ground.

The choice of lenses sounds like a good one and you should have most oppurtunities covered with that combination.

Have a good trip.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
10 Jun 2009 4:01PM
I much prefer handholding.
300 F4 is light enough to be able to do that. and it has IS as well (if it is an IS version)
I took my tripod to Skomer for the last few years, never used it. So, I won't be taking it this year.
joolsb e2
10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
10 Jun 2009 5:18PM

Quote:I much prefer handholding.

Don't you find they're too greasy to hold in the hand for long? Plus they smell of rotten fish.
10 Jun 2009 5:48PM
jools rushes in where angels fear to tread......! Wink
joolsb e2
10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
10 Jun 2009 6:01PM
Angels are wusses, Jas. Wink
10 Jun 2009 6:04PM
Wassis a wusses, jools?
10 Jun 2009 6:17PM
Hi Katy, only just found your thread and I see you've decided on a lens.
I use the Sigma 70-300 for Puffins, "couldn't afford one of those fancy ones" but get reasonable results with the tripod attached.
I Have also used shorter lenses ,I find they are very trusting birds, and here in Shetland I can get access to them very easily, they have let me get as close as 10ft, so its not all about long lenses for this bird and if the terrain is right you will get in close.
Wear dull colours and try not to stare directly at them, move slowly and don't approach in a group, on your own is best.
My sigma 70-300 gives me about 480 at the long end with the cropped sensor.
There are some images with this lens in my pf
hope any of that helps?
Adrian
rowarrior e2
7 4.4k 9 Scotland
10 Jun 2009 7:43PM
Thanks Justin, Col and Adrian (Jools and Jas, you can drag my thread down again later Wink )

I'll be on my own, so shouldn't have a problem with being in a group scaring people off, and all outdoors kit seems to be miserable colours (though maybe better leave the red raincoat behind that day and dig out the navy pac-a-mac!)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.