Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Lenses for wildlife photography

18 Jun 2009 10:03AM
is 2600mm lenses good for nikon d60 can anybody sugest me?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c 11 4.6k 36 England
18 Jun 2009 10:07AM
Did you mean to say 260mm.
There is no such thing as a 2600mm lens.
18 Jun 2009 10:21AM
If you mean a 600mm lens then provided it is an AF-s type it will work well.
New it will cost more than 15 times the price of a new D60 body.
If you mean a 60mm macro G it is very good for close up work as close as a subject 1 inch wide using a D60 body.
18 Jun 2009 11:46AM
no i mean to say 2600 mm tele photo lenses and i have found it through a searching on the online and if i am not wrong then i can say a 2600 mm telephoto lens exists.The brand names are rokinon or phoenix with teleconverter.
18 Jun 2009 12:32PM

Quote:The brand names are rokinon or phoenix with teleconverter.

It sounds like an 800mm mirror lens with converter, or perhaps a spotting scope to camera adapter.
It will not auto focus, the camera viewfinder is likely to be so dark as to make manual focus close to impossible, the chances of auto focus with it are remote, and you would need to spend probably more than 500 on a tripod and tripod head to support it without getting unsharp pictures due to camera shake.
If you have anything other than expert photographic knowledge it is unlikely you can get even reasonable results using it.
18 Jun 2009 12:39PM

Quote:No i mean to say 2600 mm tele photo lenses and i have found it through a searching on the online and if i am not wrong then i can say a 2600 mm telephoto lens exists.The brand names are rokinon or phoenix with teleconverter.

I'd save your money. A focal length of 2600mm would be practiclly useless for wildlife photography.

If you search through the wildlife section of the galllery, you'll get some ideas of lens choice, from what other Nikon users are using.
discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
18 Jun 2009 12:41PM
That lens you mentioned is actually a 650-1300mm zoom. It comes with a teleconvertor to push it up to 1300-2600mm.
The bad news is, it's a slow lens. f/8-f/16.
Chances are, with the doubler, that will become f/32 at the long end, which even in strong sunlight, is going to be tricky given that you need to keep your shutter speed above 1/2500s to keep it relatively sharp.
Also, you'll have to manually focus it for a D60 (although it doesn't look like an autofcus lens anyway)

Short version: I wouldn't bother. It's going to be a pain to use, and isn't likely to give satisfying results.
Wilmot 6 338 1 United Kingdom
18 Jun 2009 2:36PM
Yep its a bad lens,the shutter speed is very slow.
I have a Sigma 50-500 which i quite good for Wildlife photography,but...it is not very good for long distances,it is also very good for birds or other wild animals,that are close,But it is not good for birds in flight.
Hope this helps
Steve
dalecath 8 60 3 United Kingdom
18 Jun 2009 3:58PM
I hope it has image stabilizer.

Dale
19 Jun 2009 7:36AM
If it is not a good lens then can anybody suggest me what lenses will be best for my nikon d60 as telephoto lenses for wildlife photography and what are the features i should look for to purchase that lens?
brianquinn 7 243 1 United Kingdom
19 Jun 2009 8:34AM

Quote:If it is not a good lens then can anybody suggest me what lenses will be best for my nikon d60 as telephoto lenses for wildlife photography and what are the features i should look for to purchase that lens?

If you are wanting a long zoom lens to get close to the animal action, you need to spend a bit more cash, I'm afraid.
The problem with a long zoom is that it magnifies any camera shake and to compensate for that, you need to increase the shutter speed to suit. As a rule of thumb you should set your shutter speed to match the focal lenght - 300mm = 1/300th sec, 400mm = 1/400th sec etc. On top of that you need to take the magnification value of your crop sensor in to account as well!
To get the high shutter speeds means you need to let a lot of light into the sensor, so you need a larger aperture (F number) and this is the part which makes a good lens expensive.
Look at Sigma, Tokina - they're better priced than Nikon, though maybe not quite as good, but some may argue that point!
Hope this helps.
Brian.
stevie e2
10 1.2k 2 United Kingdom
19 Jun 2009 8:40AM
Are you photographing animals on safari?
If so, in my opinion a 70-200 zoom (for when they are fairly close) and a 400 mm (for when they are not too close) are the basic safari lenses. If this combination is too expensive, look at the Nikon 80-400 or the Sigma 50-500 which are decent single-lens solutions to your problem.
19 Jun 2009 8:43AM

Quote:If it is not a good lens then can anybody suggest me what lenses will be best for my nikon d60 as telephoto lenses for wildlife photography and what are the features i should look for to purchase that lens?

You need to say what your budget is. You can spend anything from 150 up to nearly 7000 for a lens for wildlife photography.
19 Jun 2009 11:27AM
my budget is 500USD for lenses.
Professional 7 128 United Arab Emirates
19 Jun 2009 11:32PM
i answered you on another thread, i will recommend you to see lenses at range 300mm to 600mm, those are the most used lenses for wildlife, even for next year i will travel to Africa i am planning to buy 600mm or 500mm, still that 800mm out of my budget and even until next year i can save for it but to me i feel 500 and 600 are more practical than 800mm.

The bad news that those lenses are very expensive, the cheapest lenses you can get are [i am a Canon user]:
Canon EF 400mm f5.6L
Canon EF 300mm f4L IS
Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS
Canon EF 70-200mm L [there are 4 versions of this lens, the faster is better for low light and faster focus maybe, and sometimes 200mm is limited but it can be used]

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.