Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lenses from America

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414.
gareth01422
6 Dec 2012 - 9:14 AM

Hi guys

Does anybody buy lenses from America?

Second Hand or new?

Gareth

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Dec 2012 - 9:14 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

teepee
teepee  11581 forum posts England
6 Dec 2012 - 9:50 AM

I have been told by MBNA visa that most online frauds are commited in the USA and would hesitate to buy online. I tried to buy an item from New Yorks biggest camera shop and they asked me to Photocopy both sides of my credit card and email it to them! When I complained I got no answer, just be very careful.........Regards tony

gareth01422
6 Dec 2012 - 9:56 AM

Thanks Tony.

I think if I am going to buy from America I would do it through Paypal, least I will have some form of protection.

Gareth

GarethRobinson
6 Dec 2012 - 10:01 AM

Before you buy check what tax you will have to pay when it arrives, you may get a surprise how much it can total to.

gareth01422
6 Dec 2012 - 10:03 AM

Hi Gareth (Great name)

I didnt think it was very from what i'd heard, maybe I should check that out for myself.

Gareth

parallax
parallax e2 Member 4106 forum postsparallax vcard United Kingdom
6 Dec 2012 - 10:13 AM

Also be careful about a US scam where the package is apparently damaged and the contents are incomplete or missing. I know a few people burned by this as the yanks make it very difficult for you to provide proof etc.

GarethRobinson
6 Dec 2012 - 10:13 AM

If you must buy imports check digital rev.

puertouk
puertouk  21012 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
6 Dec 2012 - 10:46 AM

Gareth, try panamoz They are based in Hong Kong. Well respected company. many on here have purchased from them and that´s why I placed my order. I have just ordered a light meter from them. You get a 1 year warranty from them, which is as good as manufacturers if not better!. They also pay all import taxes as well. Oh and they are far cheaper than the US.
Stephen

gareth01422
6 Dec 2012 - 10:56 AM

Cheers Stephen, I will have a look now.

WOW, They are quite cheap.

Gareth

User_Removed
6 Dec 2012 - 11:00 AM

There is a guy in Fife (Buckhaven I seem to remember) who sells grey imports from USA. I haven't bought from him myself, but some forumites on here speak very highly of him. At least buying from America via an intermediary like that removes the risk of fraud or of incurring any tax and duty liability.

gareth01422
6 Dec 2012 - 11:04 AM

Thanks Left Forum....... thats great. I will try track him down.

Gareth

thewilliam
6 Dec 2012 - 11:08 AM

Be aware that IT allows any customs officer to readily check whether duty has been paid. One colleague was caught several years after he'd evaded import duty and VAT as he returned from a holiday. He was faced with a large bill for import duty and VAT. The ultimate insult was that he paid VAT at the current rate and not the lower rate that prevailed at the time he bought the lens.

If you buy the kit within the EU, you don't have to worry.

gareth01422
6 Dec 2012 - 11:33 AM

Ah thank you.

I just looked at a 6D body from Jessops, £1800 and at Panamoz its £1350, $450 saving.

But might have a look at prices in the EU.

mickrick
mickrick  10 United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Dec 2012 - 12:21 PM

B&H in New York are awesome. I live in Miami, and have bought stuff from them both via the internet, and from their shop. Check www.bhphotovideo.com for pricing.

If you're looking for second hand gear, my pick would be Keh Camera Brokers, who are in a suburb of Atlanta. Their website is www.keh.com.
My most recent purchase was a couple of Cokin P ND-grads. One was fine, but the other was a Chinese knock-off. When I e-mailed them they just refunded the amount charged. "do you want the dodgy filter back?" "No, use it with our blessing". Nice people, and very sharp prices. Even if you do pay VAT on import, you won't go wrong.

And there's always Amazon. Customer service is second to none, and they carry everything. Although for some items they will not ship overseas.

gareth01422
6 Dec 2012 - 12:23 PM

Quote: B&H in New York are awesome. I live in Miami, and have bought stuff from them both via the internet, and from their shop. Check www.bhphotovideo.com for pricing.

If you're looking for second hand gear, my pick would be Keh Camera Brokers, who are in a suburb of Atlanta. Their website is www.keh.com.
My most recent purchase was a couple of Cokin P ND-grads. One was fine, but the other was a Chinese knock-off. When I e-mailed them they just refunded the amount charged. "do you want the dodgy filter back?" "No, use it with our blessing". Nice people, and very sharp prices. Even if you do pay VAT on import, you won't go wrong.

And there's always Amazon. Customer service is second to none, and they carry everything. Although for some items they will not ship overseas.

Thanks that's brilliant.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.