Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lenses from America

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mlewis
mlewis  101476 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Dec 2012 - 12:37 PM

Once you add in the 20% VAT & duty you'll have to pay on import it's not usually worth buying camera gear from the USA as the cost approaches the UK price.

The guy Ian mentioned runs the Flash Camera webshop. If you buy from him (I have in the past) you don't pay import duty etc so the price you see is what you pay.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Dec 2012 - 12:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

gareth01422
6 Dec 2012 - 1:03 PM

Quote: Once you add in the 20% VAT & duty you'll have to pay on import it's not usually worth buying camera gear from the USA as the cost approaches the UK price.

The guy Ian mentioned runs the Flash Camera webshop. If you buy from him (I have in the past) you don't pay import duty etc so the price you see is what you pay.

Hay, thanks for the link.

Some good prices.

Gareth

Caisiel
Caisiel  2 Wales
6 Dec 2012 - 1:26 PM

I bought my sony A850, and a few lenses and flashes from BandH - New york, excellent to deal with very freindly, even with duties they have been upto 40% cheaper (I actually paid 1250 for my camera body - all in when it was selling for an average of 1600).

I've also used panamoz and digital rev and never had a problem. BUT....check warranties first as with most grey imports warranties and after sales care may be totally non-existent

gareth01422
6 Dec 2012 - 1:37 PM

Ah thank you.

teepee
teepee  11720 forum posts England
6 Dec 2012 - 4:02 PM

B and H New Yofk are the company that wanted my credit card photocopied...........

jembo
jembo  10104 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Dec 2012 - 7:10 PM

You need to refer to TARIC codes to see the level of Excise Duty due.
Photographic equipmebt comes under Section 18 - then drill down to the particular category the item purchased falls into.
(Lenses attract a fee of 6.7% of the purchase price)

See here

After adding the rate add VAT to this total and this will be the total cost.

I've purchased from America, but from areputable store, for something that was hard to get hold of in (at the time) the UK.

Get the calculator out - and good luck.

annettep38
annettep38 e2 Member 3188 forum postsannettep38 vcard France32 Constructive Critique Points
9 Dec 2012 - 12:30 AM

Hi I have often found that import tax + transport make it not worth while . Unlike goods you buy in the eu with your vat number, you always have to pay vat on goods from outside the eu.

I have compared British and US prices to others and found my source for new lenses etc in Italy . No vat, no fuzz, send them you number and after checking you never have to supply it again. Very much u like the uk where half the companies swear blind they can't deduce vat on eu exports to a business . Totally illegal but annoying if they just don't want to.

But even if you count the slightly higher transport from Italy and vat does not concern you, it was still the best price in Europe . They are fast and helpful, too. Oh yes, and you pay less if you generate less bank fees.. By transfer. Futek.it is the web site.

Hugo
Hugo  9640 forum posts United Kingdom
9 Dec 2012 - 1:40 AM

Is there VAT etc on second hand goods from the USA????
Not really camera related but something else electronic on ebay. Worth 40

chris.maddock
9 Dec 2012 - 9:26 AM

Quote: Is there VAT etc on second hand goods from the USA????
Not really camera related but something else electronic on ebay. Worth 40

Yep, if the price paid for the item only is over 18 then VAT is due on the value of the goods AND the post/packing cost.
Depending on the item classification there could also be import duty. Can't recall if that is also included in the VAT calculation.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.