Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Less Expensive IR Filters

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Taxboy
    Taxboy  12197 forum posts
    2 Aug 2012 - 8:06 PM

I'm looking to venture into the world of IR photography but don't feel inclined to splash out for a B&W or Hoya IR filter. Is anyone using cheaper brands and obtaining good results. My internet search suggested that Haida offers an alternative at a reasonable price for ND. Just wondered if the same might apply for IR filters ?

TIA

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Aug 2012 - 8:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82313 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Aug 2012 - 7:48 AM

Have you done a bit of search first to see if the camera/lens combo you will be experimenting with is IR compatible? It would be a shame to splurge out any cash to then find the camera you are using has a very effective hot filter and you can't easily use it for IR (I lesson I learned many moons ago with my Canon 300D - a typical IR exposure need to be 15 - 20 minutes in bright sunlight). Similarly, you may find the lens has a tendency for IR hot spotting.

A.

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73848 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Aug 2012 - 10:28 AM

The IR block filter on most dSLRs works too well these days. I tried it before having a camera converted, and the results were very disappointing, and that was with Hoya. You will find you will need an exposure of several minutes, even upping ISO, there is little contrast too.

This is a blog I did on it

Last Modified By Nick_w at 3 Aug 2012 - 10:32 AM
    Taxboy
    Taxboy  12197 forum posts
    3 Aug 2012 - 5:58 PM

Quote: Have you done a bit of search first to see if the camera/lens combo you will be experimenting with is IR compatible? It would be a shame to splurge out any cash to then find the camera you are using has a very effective hot filter and you can't easily use it for IR (I lesson I learned many moons ago with my Canon 300D - a typical IR exposure need to be 15 - 20 minutes in bright sunlight). Similarly, you may find the lens has a tendency for IR hot spotting.

A.

Thanks for that from what i can make out I should be fine with my EOS 40D and lenses

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.