Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Less Expensive IR Filters

Taxboy e2
12 199
2 Aug 2012 8:06PM
I'm looking to venture into the world of IR photography but don't feel inclined to splash out for a B&W or Hoya IR filter. Is anyone using cheaper brands and obtaining good results. My internet search suggested that Haida offers an alternative at a reasonable price for ND. Just wondered if the same might apply for IR filters ?

TIA

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
3 Aug 2012 7:48AM
Have you done a bit of search first to see if the camera/lens combo you will be experimenting with is IR compatible? It would be a shame to splurge out any cash to then find the camera you are using has a very effective hot filter and you can't easily use it for IR (I lesson I learned many moons ago with my Canon 300D - a typical IR exposure need to be 15 - 20 minutes in bright sunlight). Similarly, you may find the lens has a tendency for IR hot spotting.

A.
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
3 Aug 2012 10:28AM
The IR block filter on most dSLRs works too well these days. I tried it before having a camera converted, and the results were very disappointing, and that was with Hoya. You will find you will need an exposure of several minutes, even upping ISO, there is little contrast too.

This is a blog I did on it
Taxboy e2
12 199
3 Aug 2012 5:58PM

Quote:Have you done a bit of search first to see if the camera/lens combo you will be experimenting with is IR compatible? It would be a shame to splurge out any cash to then find the camera you are using has a very effective hot filter and you can't easily use it for IR (I lesson I learned many moons ago with my Canon 300D - a typical IR exposure need to be 15 - 20 minutes in bright sunlight). Similarly, you may find the lens has a tendency for IR hot spotting.

A.

Thanks for that from what i can make out I should be fine with my EOS 40D and lenses

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.