Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Letter to the Editor - Recognising Achievements through EPZ

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2006 - 3:08 PM

Cheryl posted about that only yesterday, and Pete has more than once mentioned the abuse and accusations he gets over ECs.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Sep 2006 - 3:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nike55
Nike55  8956 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Sep 2006 - 3:09 PM

Quote: (believe me it'll all end in tears.. Wink

...now where did I hear that before?

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022892 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna30 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2006 - 3:11 PM

Trust me.......I have to set up a seperate mailbox for the 'comments' I receive when I 'get one'......and more than a few when I don't.

and my children have answered some very 'interesting' telephone calls too.
Wink

ZenTog
ZenTog  127875 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2006 - 3:11 PM

CB letters after your name do count for the hard work put in to get them, those that moan about them the most, in general dont have any, those that do have them rarely use them , they dont have to they have proved them selves!!!!!

never had anything but well wishing when I have received the ECs , but then I dont get as many as old Keith

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2006 - 3:16 PM

Do letters after your name get you highly-paid work in the photo industry? I've never seen anything which suggests they do.

Other than a 'feel good' factor for those obtaining them it's hard - for me anyway - to see why people bother.

But I'll let the likes of Keith comment on that! Wink

Nike55
Nike55  8956 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Sep 2006 - 3:17 PM

...try getting work at the BBC without a degree.

Westers
Westers  93905 forum posts Burkina Faso1 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2006 - 3:18 PM

Got a bit of a groupie thang going on there Keith? Emails of congratulations and comiserations (sp), eh?

It'll be knickers sent to you next.....

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022892 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna30 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2006 - 3:24 PM

If I do they'll be full of skid marks, Ian

I've never taken a photographic exam...not officially anyway...I have seen them and the course work involved...most people with a modicum of knowledge and common sense could pass them and unless you are entering a very technical area of the industry not worth a squit....perhaps if they were the powers that be would make them a more testing experience.

ZenTog
28 Sep 2006 - 3:25 PM

didnt say it leads to highly paid work for certain, but if you look at the top end fashion togs a lot of them have degrees in art in one form or another, didnt say you cant do it with out formal training but it does help in the long run.
for me the networking I did in my final year paid off and I went into event photography, finally a type of photography that actually paid for once, the surf stuff never really makes any money

the top end people making a lot of money from photography are very few probally only a handfull of true creative genius

stevekhart
28 Sep 2006 - 3:26 PM

Thanks to those who have taken the topic seriously - it was intended. Actually I have joined the SWPP and have found the "mentor me" program very useful and wish I had more time to devote to it. Having completed my MBA last year (which I felt was great education for starting a business, including a photography business) I'm reluctant to start another formal education program such as C&G or HND, etc. However it strikes me that EPZ could support such a structured training program (only simple, but along the lines of having a portfolio critiqued by the newly established critique team, perhaps with representation in each of the categories, etc.)
What I was getting at though, was more of some kind of alliance between bodies, say if EPZ partnered with SWPP, for example. What do you think?
Steve.

keithh
28 Sep 2006 - 3:28 PM

Actually many of the fashion togs 'fell' into photography out of art school, design college etc.

So, Steve.....how much critique of your work have you gained from this website that has helped your work progress?

Westers
28 Sep 2006 - 3:30 PM

But most people post here for fun...at least I think they do. So would there be many takers? Probably not compared to the number of members.

Sure, some would want to do it for various reasons, but isn't photography a game of who you know and the proof of your capability is in the results?

PatrickSmith
28 Sep 2006 - 3:31 PM

Quote: You're making the grave error of taking the original post seriously.

LOL - I guess I am too then Keith. It seems serious to me.

I'm surprized that people complain about EC's. And even call your house? What do they say?

Every time an image is given an EC or an HC, I can see exactly why. There is a definite correlation between quality and awards on EPZ. Just pick 100 random EC and non-EC shots and anybody would be able to tell which ones got the EC's.

As far as school degrees in Photography go, it depends on where you want to work. I am a self-taught programmer, my degree is in Economics. In the software programming industry raw brainpower and skill is everything. If you can show somebody a complex program that you wrote, you are instantly recognized and someone with skill. But some companies want to see degrees in Computer Science. So I could not work in thos companies. But I've always had plenty of work, but as a independent programmer and in corporations.

Patrick

Patrick

ZenTog
28 Sep 2006 - 3:33 PM

I think Steves on the right lines, ePZ needs to be taken a little more serious than it is at the present, Fun is fine in the right place but now this site is getting so big, probally has many more members than Bipp or such and could support a learning system or a panel to judge prints with a submission etc

Westers
28 Sep 2006 - 3:35 PM

I guess it'd be a money maker, so in business terms then why not.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.