Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Letting others have a copy of your file

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Stillbase
    Stillbase  257 forum posts Wales
    20 Nov 2012 - 1:43 PM

Last week our photo club did "battle" with another fairly local camera club. As a result of this one of their members has now asked my wife if she would send him an electronic copy of one of her photos so he can "have it printed and hang it on his wall". At first sight, very flattering, but on thinking about it I feel that by letting somebody we don't know have the file - even if a modest payment is involved - she looses all control of all rights to the use of that photo.

Am I being too suspicious?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Nov 2012 - 1:43 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
    mikehit  46188 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Nov 2012 - 1:52 PM

One can of worms opened....

I would offer to have it printed and hand that over, but I can be unnecessarily paranoid.
    If they insist on the RAW file you can send over a JPEG of the relevant size (required size x pixels needed = jpeg size).

thewilliam
    20 Nov 2012 - 1:57 PM

It really depends on whether the image has significant commercial value and whether you trust the recipient.

I provide digital files to commercial clients because they've paid me to take them and I can be reasonably sure that they'll be handled by professionals such as graphic designers.

I'll give digital files of some news and PR shots to newspapers etc because the image has little value until it gets published. These are always JPEGS.

What is the very worst that could be done? Are you happy to take the risk? A dishonest recipient could sell the image!

I'd advise youir wife to provide a print.

NEWDIGIT
    NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
    20 Nov 2012 - 2:00 PM

Quick answer is NO.
    Unless you can trust him 100% then do not give the file.
    you will no doubt have seen or heard of the thousands of complaints about photos being used as "genuine" when they are actually copies of some one elses work which in some cases have been processed to look like they are originals.
    If he likes the photo so much offer to have one printed off for him at his expense of course

Last Modified By NEWDIGIT at 20 Nov 2012 - 2:01 PM
    lemmy
    lemmy  71774 forum posts United Kingdom
    20 Nov 2012 - 2:54 PM

Quote: What is the very worst that could be done? Are you happy to take the risk? A dishonest recipient could sell the image

A man in a white van came to my door today with what he said was a parcel for me. How can I know he is not a murderer just bringing the parcel so that I open the door and he can rob me and then mutilate me and my family? Wow! It was a parcel and it was for me and the bloke said goodbye and smiled and so did I.

The vast majority of people are open and honest. If you have reason to believe this person is so venal as to ask for a file so he can copy it and make money, tell him to s*d off. If not, lighten up. Be flattered. He's probably thinks that it would be easier just to send him the file and he gets it printed rather than all the faffing and hedging around to do it any other way.

No-one could accuse me of being naive but this exchange is verging on paranoia. There's nothing like believing the best of our fellow human beings.....and this thread is nothing like thinking the best of our fellow human beings Sad

paulcookphotography

I know what you are getting at Lemmy, but i think its only reasonable that if one photographer wants a picture from another photographer then they should expect and ask for a print and not the file (especially through camera clubs). While there may not be any devious plans to sell the image as his own, or enter it into their club's own competitions, i would have thought the photographer would have been a bit more conscious of the potential concerns

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41181 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Nov 2012 - 3:26 PM

If you're really that worried, ask what size they want and get a print for them. The same suspicion could be levelled at someone you sell a print to...are they going to scan it and call it their own work? Don't let paranoia get you down.

To my mind, it only really matters if a. you have a realistic chance of making a big profit from the picture (you have the only image of a once-only event), b. you have a good reason not to believe that all they want to do is hang it on the wall, or c. you're paranoid. In which case, they're going to get you whatever you do.

Nick

Jestertheclown
    20 Nov 2012 - 3:31 PM

Quote: No-one could accuse me of being naive but this exchange is verging on paranoia.

Threads like this one and another similar one that's also running almost invariably end up with posts verging on paranoia.
    Personally, lemmy, I agree with you and neither am I naive.
    I can't see any harm in giving the odd image away in exchange for no more than a 'thank you.' There just might come a time when you might want to be on the receiving end.

Bren.

Jestertheclown
    20 Nov 2012 - 3:35 PM

Just a thought but has it crossed anyone's mind to find out what this would-be thief actually said?
    Many times, people have said to me 'I'd like a copy of that,' to which I've responded 'I'll email you one.'
    If he's not expecting to see you again soon (or ever) an electronic exchange is the obvious way to go.

Newdevonian
    20 Nov 2012 - 5:32 PM

I am not paranoid! But I know you are all trying to steal my work........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... if you are daft enough!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.