Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Leveson - the aftermath

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

jondf
jondf  82475 forum posts
29 Nov 2012 - 6:35 PM

It seems that David's going to let his friends off the hook ......disgraceful!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Nov 2012 - 6:35 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit  56685 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2012 - 6:50 PM

Hold on, the discussion has only just started. The only arguemnt so far is whether it should be backed by legal powers and there are plenty of Tories who disagree with Cameron. Equally there are plenty of labour MPs who agree with Cameron so this is far from a party/class/whatever issue.
Personally, I think there has to be legal recourse to any actions ut let's give them time to expand on their ideas.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110366 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2012 - 7:07 PM

Quote: It seems that David's going to let his friends off the hook ......disgraceful!

A well researched unbiased reaction Wink

Snapster
Snapster e2 Member 2121 forum postsSnapster vcard England
29 Nov 2012 - 7:14 PM

BBC news made a good point that we have protested to Russia in the past about their press restrictions, when potentially we are about to do the same. At the end of the day will any UK government upset the press?

jondf
jondf  82475 forum posts
29 Nov 2012 - 7:45 PM

My opening comment was biased, particularly insofar as the victims of hacking were concerned, especially Milly Dowler's family. But perhaps it is time for a bit of emotion in all this. Leveson's done his work and damned certain sections of the media over their antics performed in the name of 'freedom'. But there's no escaping the fact that the mark was continually over stepped to the point where anything went in pursuit of what? The truth? No, not the truth in a just and proper way, more in terms of copies sold I should think. So it comes down to a question of profit, money made, shareholders .......at the expense of what in many cases were innocent victims. Like I said, disgraceful.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110366 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2012 - 8:07 PM

Quote: No, not the truth in a just and proper way, more in terms of copies sold I should think. So it comes down to a question of profit, money made, shareholders .......at the expense of what in many cases were innocent victims. Like I said, disgraceful

Now there I have no argument, the case is well and truly proven (and is no suprise to anyone I would imagine)

It just seemed a bit premature slag off Cameron before he has actually done any more that make a brief statement to the Commons

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122305 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2012 - 8:25 PM

Brian it may seem premature, but it's a fair sure bet he'll get his way with the press behind him. I think it's disgraceful as well. Leveson must be spitting blood. Oh, and does anyone seriously believe that Brooks and Co will get what they are due?

brian1208
29 Nov 2012 - 8:45 PM

I guess I'm just a bit old fashioned, I wait for the facts before jumping to conclusions, then think about things a bit before getting emotional (drives my wife mad - she gets emotional, draws her conclusion then tries to ignore the facts Tongue )

Last Modified By brian1208 at 29 Nov 2012 - 8:45 PM
thewilliam
29 Nov 2012 - 10:45 PM

I can't imagine that the press barons will let a bunch of pipsqueak politicians in a third-world country tell then what they can or can't do.

It's the press that puts a political party into power by telling the populace which way they should vote!

Last Modified By thewilliam at 29 Nov 2012 - 10:51 PM
mikehit
29 Nov 2012 - 11:05 PM

Quote: My opening comment was biased, particularly insofar as the victims of hacking were concerned, especially Milly Dowler's family.

That's strange because I have heard several hacking victims on the radio and all of them have been against legal control of the press.

Quote: Oh, and does anyone seriously believe that Brooks and Co will get what they are due?

Several people (including on this forum) were saying they would never stand trial so that has already been proven to be incorrect. But why let the facts get in the way of a good rant, eh?

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122305 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2012 - 11:38 PM

Nous verrons....Smile

llareggub
llareggub  4727 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Nov 2012 - 11:50 PM

Pretty much ost of what Leveson passed Judgement on was already illegal... Will someone please explain why we need more laws?

mikehit
30 Nov 2012 - 1:32 AM

Partly because politicians want to be seen to be doing something.
But beyond the phone hacking and bribing police, there is also the issue of the press behaviour in general such as libelling someone in a headline then printing an apology on page 26, inventing stories to sell papers and others: not illegal but beyond the pale in their actions. The PCC is largely toothless, is run by the 'old boys network of editors and ex-editors, and relies too much on funds from the newspapers for its very exitence.

Newdevonian
30 Nov 2012 - 9:26 AM

Quote: Pretty much ost of what Leveson passed Judgement on was already illegal... Will someone please explain why we need more laws?

Unfortunately it doesn't matter how many laws we have, if the politicians, the press AND THE POLICE are in bed together.

thewilliam
30 Nov 2012 - 9:50 AM

I can't help thinking that successive governments are engaged in "velvet facism" where they slacken the reigns of regulation and allow all sorts of misdeeds so thatl the population demands that something be done. This is how Hitler gained public support when he set up the concentration camps.

We do indeed have laws in place to control the press just as existing laws could be used to control excessive drinking in our city centres. Rather than have the police round up all the drunks and keep them in the cells until the Monday morning Court session where they can be given a stiff fine, Cameron would rather punish us all by increasing the cost of alcohol. Just like the incompetent teacher who finds it easier to punish the whole class rather than single out and deal with the offender.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.