Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Leveson - the aftermath

gcarth e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
15 Mar 2013 5:59PM

Quote:I think the most accurate description of the beeb i have heard is a right-leaning establishment organisation overseeing a left-leaning programming staff.

Yes, I think there's an element of truth in that...but only an element.Wink I think there are a fair number of programming staff who are slightly left-leaning - as in the Guardian and the Independent newspapers - but they make compromises all the time. I take a firm stance on this and similar matters because we are not debating about an equally powerful left - right influence in the BBC, or indeed in our society generally. It is definitely not a 'level playing field'. The right wing of our society is clearly by far the most dominant, and therefore it seems to me that we need to re-distribute power, wealth and influence throughout the rest of society before we can change this situation.

Up the Workers! Wink

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jondf 8 2.7k
16 Mar 2013 12:11PM
[Quote] With a voluntary PCC people will know instinctively what is right and wrong and people will accept a bit of give and take to reach a 'reasonable' decision

But isn't that the way the PPC's been working for a long time, as an incestual, back-slapping, in-house, toothless fudge run by the press for the press? I expect folk like the digger of dirt couldn't believe their luck when that was set up.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
16 Mar 2013 12:45PM

Quote:Up the Workers!

There aren't any! Smile
jondf 8 2.7k
18 Mar 2013 11:39PM
Ever mindful of an embarrassing commons defeat, it seems David ISN'T going to let his friends off the hook .....oh well, we live and learn.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
19 Mar 2013 9:59AM

Quote:David ISN'T going to let his friends off the hook

And they are furious! Grin
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
19 Mar 2013 10:00AM

Quote:Ever mindful of an embarrassing commons defeat, it seems David ISN'T going to let his friends off the hook .....oh well, we live and learn.

its called "Politics" (and is a constant source of irritation to me - I loath the lot of them)
jondf 8 2.7k
20 Mar 2013 4:00PM

Quote:I loath the lot of them....

Yes, I know what you mean. It's the red tops in particular that get me Wink

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/03/20/uk-britain-newscorp-hacking-idUKBRE92J0SQ20130320
gcarth e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2013 4:22PM

Quote:
Yes, I know what you mean. It's the red tops in particular that get me Wink

I think the 'serious' media are the most annoying because they pretend to be informative, neutral, sensible and so on and I feel that many of us are taken in by this - anyone with an ounce of common sense doesn't take the Sun, Mirror, Star or Mail seriously...Tongue
I don't take the Times or the Telegraph seriously either...Sad The Independent, Guardian and New Statesman have a limited amount of decent reporting and editorial comment within their pages.
I believe the 'serious' papers like the Times; Telegraph; Guardian; Independent are often the more damaging to democracy because people often associate them with reliability, accuracy, neutrality when in reality, they spread disinformation and propaganda much of the time - sometimes wittingly often unwittingly...
Obviously I'm not talking in absolutes and there are also many good and neutral articles among their more dubious reports (as with the BBC).
jondf 8 2.7k
20 Mar 2013 10:18PM
[Quote]I think the 'serious' media are the most annoying....

That may be so but apart from it being a play on the words of a previous poster, my point related to the link which takes you to a Reuters article about the arrest this week of yet more News Corporation staff. I mean, how many of the bug*ers do they have to charge before the top man gets it?
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2013 10:58PM
What is he (or could he be) guilty of?
jondf 8 2.7k
22 Mar 2013 6:06PM
Isn't the head of a company ultimately responsible? If only from a moral aspect, he should walk...
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
22 Mar 2013 6:58PM
If by the 'top man' you mean Murdoch junior as the top man of NoW then I would agree - his appearance at the parliamentary investigation was bordering on embarassing and lacked only the smoking gun. I am not sure Murdoch senior can be held to account unless it was clear the same culture was prevalent in parts of News International, or if it was clear he knew what was going on (or suffered 'wilful blindness'). But this idea that the CEO walks because of something he was not aware of (and in many cases could not be aware of) is getting out of hand to the point of being ludicrous. The logical extension of this is that whenever any employee does something stupid/immoral/illegal his manager is also culpable, and by extension his manager, and his manager all the way up the chain.
jondf 8 2.7k
23 Mar 2013 8:25AM

Quote:The logical extension of this is that whenever any employee does something stupid/immoral/illegal his manager is also culpable, and by extension his manager, and his manager all the way up the chain

Quite so. Many are the cases where chairmen and CEOs have gone for less, the BBC being one example.
Canonshots e2
4 106 13 United Kingdom
23 Mar 2013 8:38AM
Years ago it became apparent to me that whenever the press ran a story that I happened to know something about at first hand, the newspaper reports contained errors. There were no exceptions - even the obituary columns contain errors of fact. For this reason I never believe that they get ANYTHING right. Viewed in that light, regulation is futile. It will not improve the factual accuracy of newspaper reports - that requires a far more rigorous approach to reporting on the part of newspaper staff, and somehow I don't think that is ever going to happen.
thewilliam 6 4.9k
23 Mar 2013 10:50AM
I thought the cardinal rule had always been, "never let the truth spoil a good story".

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.