Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Leveson - the aftermath

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102263 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2013 - 5:59 PM

Quote: I think the most accurate description of the beeb i have heard is a right-leaning establishment organisation overseeing a left-leaning programming staff.

Yes, I think there's an element of truth in that...but only an element.Wink I think there are a fair number of programming staff who are slightly left-leaning - as in the Guardian and the Independent newspapers - but they make compromises all the time. I take a firm stance on this and similar matters because we are not debating about an equally powerful left - right influence in the BBC, or indeed in our society generally. It is definitely not a 'level playing field'. The right wing of our society is clearly by far the most dominant, and therefore it seems to me that we need to re-distribute power, wealth and influence throughout the rest of society before we can change this situation.

Up the Workers! Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Mar 2013 - 5:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jondf
jondf  82474 forum posts
16 Mar 2013 - 12:11 PM

Quote: With a voluntary PCC people will know instinctively what is right and wrong and people will accept a bit of give and take to reach a 'reasonable' decision

But isn't that the way the PPC's been working for a long time, as an incestual, back-slapping, in-house, toothless fudge run by the press for the press? I expect folk like the digger of dirt couldn't believe their luck when that was set up.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2013 - 12:45 PM

Quote: Up the Workers!

There aren't any! Smile

jondf
jondf  82474 forum posts
18 Mar 2013 - 11:39 PM

Ever mindful of an embarrassing commons defeat, it seems David ISN'T going to let his friends off the hook .....oh well, we live and learn.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2013 - 9:59 AM

Quote: David ISN'T going to let his friends off the hook

And they are furious! Grin

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110188 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2013 - 10:00 AM

Quote: Ever mindful of an embarrassing commons defeat, it seems David ISN'T going to let his friends off the hook .....oh well, we live and learn.

its called "Politics" (and is a constant source of irritation to me - I loath the lot of them)

jondf
jondf  82474 forum posts
20 Mar 2013 - 4:00 PM

Quote: I loath the lot of them....

Yes, I know what you mean. It's the red tops in particular that get me Wink

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/03/20/uk-britain-newscorp-hacking-idUKBRE92J0...

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102263 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2013 - 4:22 PM

Quote:
Yes, I know what you mean. It's the red tops in particular that get me Wink

I think the 'serious' media are the most annoying because they pretend to be informative, neutral, sensible and so on and I feel that many of us are taken in by this - anyone with an ounce of common sense doesn't take the Sun, Mirror, Star or Mail seriously...Tongue
I don't take the Times or the Telegraph seriously either...Sad The Independent, Guardian and New Statesman have a limited amount of decent reporting and editorial comment within their pages.
I believe the 'serious' papers like the Times; Telegraph; Guardian; Independent are often the more damaging to democracy because people often associate them with reliability, accuracy, neutrality when in reality, they spread disinformation and propaganda much of the time - sometimes wittingly often unwittingly...
Obviously I'm not talking in absolutes and there are also many good and neutral articles among their more dubious reports (as with the BBC).

jondf
jondf  82474 forum posts
20 Mar 2013 - 10:18 PM

Quote: I think the 'serious' media are the most annoying....

That may be so but apart from it being a play on the words of a previous poster, my point related to the link which takes you to a Reuters article about the arrest this week of yet more News Corporation staff. I mean, how many of the bug*ers do they have to charge before the top man gets it?

mikehit
mikehit  46194 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2013 - 10:58 PM

What is he (or could he be) guilty of?

Last Modified By mikehit at 20 Mar 2013 - 10:58 PM
jondf
jondf  82474 forum posts
22 Mar 2013 - 6:06 PM

Isn't the head of a company ultimately responsible? If only from a moral aspect, he should walk...

mikehit
mikehit  46194 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
22 Mar 2013 - 6:58 PM

If by the 'top man' you mean Murdoch junior as the top man of NoW then I would agree - his appearance at the parliamentary investigation was bordering on embarassing and lacked only the smoking gun. I am not sure Murdoch senior can be held to account unless it was clear the same culture was prevalent in parts of News International, or if it was clear he knew what was going on (or suffered 'wilful blindness'). But this idea that the CEO walks because of something he was not aware of (and in many cases could not be aware of) is getting out of hand to the point of being ludicrous. The logical extension of this is that whenever any employee does something stupid/immoral/illegal his manager is also culpable, and by extension his manager, and his manager all the way up the chain.

jondf
jondf  82474 forum posts
23 Mar 2013 - 8:25 AM

Quote: The logical extension of this is that whenever any employee does something stupid/immoral/illegal his manager is also culpable, and by extension his manager, and his manager all the way up the chain

Quite so. Many are the cases where chairmen and CEOs have gone for less, the BBC being one example.

Canonshots
23 Mar 2013 - 8:38 AM

Years ago it became apparent to me that whenever the press ran a story that I happened to know something about at first hand, the newspaper reports contained errors. There were no exceptions - even the obituary columns contain errors of fact. For this reason I never believe that they get ANYTHING right. Viewed in that light, regulation is futile. It will not improve the factual accuracy of newspaper reports - that requires a far more rigorous approach to reporting on the part of newspaper staff, and somehow I don't think that is ever going to happen.

thewilliam
23 Mar 2013 - 10:50 AM

I thought the cardinal rule had always been, "never let the truth spoil a good story".

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.