Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

LibreOffice anyone?

janeez e2
6 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
2 Nov 2013 12:54PM
Does anyone use this or any other free Microsoft Office compatible software. In the good old days Word used to come preloaded with Windows. My latest computer has Wordpad and now that doesn't automatically open Word files anymore (bl***y updates!) without me jumping through hoops to find a way round it. Damned annoying when all I want to do is print an invoice or as my hubby found this morning, fill out an emailed document. I am getting really fed up with being asked to shell out money for Word every month or year when I rarely use it and have found out LibreOffice is being used widely as an alternative.

Thoughts anyone? Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gaucho e2
12 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
2 Nov 2013 1:06PM
Have a try with Open Office . I find it's pretty good and will recognise any Word docs you have.
LesJD 2 151 Wales
2 Nov 2013 1:06PM
I've used Open Office which is essentially the same as Libreoffice ,both great. Don't pays your money and take your choice Wink
franken e2
12 3.2k 4 Wales
2 Nov 2013 1:18PM
Open office works really well.

Ken
arhb e2
7 2.4k 68 United Kingdom
2 Nov 2013 1:21PM

Quote:Open office works really well.

Ken

+1
Nick_w e2
7 3.9k 99 England
2 Nov 2013 1:23PM
I've used both Libre and open office. Libre seems a little slicker and quicker to open. When we bought a Laptop for my daughter, I installed Libre. But both work really well and are good alternatives to MS Office.
gvet 4 42 2 United Kingdom
2 Nov 2013 1:43PM
I've been using Libre for a while, full compatibility with office, for example you can save written documents as a .docx if you're worried about transfer etc. There's no way that I'd pay for MS Office now, Libre does everything that it does.
Now if only someone was to produce a freeware LR/PS competitor...
lobsterboy e2
10 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
2 Nov 2013 1:59PM

Quote:Now if only someone was to produce a freeware LR/PS competitor...

Here is the lightroom alternative: http://www.lightzoneproject.org/
AlanTW 11 343
2 Nov 2013 2:41PM
Use LibreOffice on both Windoze and Ubuntu Linux. Never had any problems with MS Office users being able to open or further edit files created in LO. Go on give it a try it's free after all!

Alan
janeez e2
6 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
2 Nov 2013 4:44PM
Fantastic info everyone. I think I might install Libre on my computer and Open Office on the laptop. Will either open Excel as this is the programme hubby uses for his accounts?
Gaucho e2
12 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
2 Nov 2013 5:07PM
They have their own version of Excel which should open any existing excel files.
AlanTW 11 343
2 Nov 2013 6:01PM
Both will open Excel files in Calc, just remember to do a "Save as" a xls file for it to be read in Excel

Alan
779HOB 2 1.0k United Kingdom
4 Nov 2013 6:57PM
I only use Google docs now - ditched Office.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.