Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

licensing

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    funkeldink
    funkeldink  101592 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Aug 2010 - 9:34 AM

its probably been asked before but hard to find .. i got this email below and not thought about how much to charge for an image as i only do commission work //
    any help or advice will be most welcome,

I've recently set up a business, and would like to enquire about licensing a hi-res version of the 'punk kid' pointing for use on our marketing collateral - I'm sure you know the one. It's a great image.

I'd be looking to use it on printed and digital literature (1 x trade press advert, 1 x Powerpoint presentation, that sort of thing), pretty low volume/low frequency stuff. A 1-year license would be ideal. And if you could give me an indication of how much it might cost to extend this to web usage I'd appreciate it.

We're a start-up business so cash is tight but it would be great to be able to reach some sort of arrangement if you're open to it.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Keep up the good work by the way - some brilliant photography on your site.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Aug 2010 - 9:34 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

John_Frid
    John_Frid  8514 forum posts United Kingdom56 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Aug 2010 - 1:18 PM

Let me start by saying I have no experience in this area, but am happy to share some thoughts. Hopefully someone who knows better will be along shortly.

I'll assume that you have any model releases that are needed (if they are indeed needed).

My sugestion would be to have a sensible chat with the people who want to use your image and agree specifics about just how they will use it. This will enable you to structure an agreed usage licence and should make agreeing a price easier. Also establish whether they want an exclusive licence (meaning you will not sell the usage rights to anyone else for the period of the licence), or whether a non-exclusive licence will suffice. Obviously exclusive rights should carry a premium price.

At the end of the day only you can determine what price you are prepared to accept - and the buyer will have a limit on what they are prepared to spend. If the two expectations meet you have a deal. My advice is not to get too worried about "market rates" - the most important thing is that you are happy with what you charge.

You say you onlly do commission work - if the image requested was originally a commission image just check that you have retained rights to licence the image. In the dim distant past I did sometimes commission pictures for work purposes. One of the terms of that commission was that the photographer gave up all commercial rights to the image. They could use the image for promotional purposes, but could not sell it (we obviously paid a slight premium for that).

I hope this is of some help - but again want to be clear that this is not an area of expertise for me and just my initial thoughts.

Good luck

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.