Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Licentiateship of The Royal Photographic Society

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
ChrisNikon
25 Sep 2007 - 11:15 AM

I’m thinking about appyling for the Licentiateship membership of The Royal Photographic Society. www.rps.org/licentiateship

This is the first level of Distinction and is awarded either for competence in practical photography, or by passing of an appropriate examination in photography recognised by The Society. Since I don’t have the latter, I would have to apply by submitting 10 images on CD-ROM.

My questions:
Have others applied and been successful?
Are there members of the RPS contributing on this forum / website
From my portfilio on this site and on my website at www.newsarum.co.uk do you think my work is approaching the standard needed?

Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Sep 2007 - 11:15 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2007 - 11:27 AM

I think if you do a search the RPS has been discussed a few times.

Personally I don't understand the desire to pay £80+ a year just to keep using the letters after your name.

If you are into club photography it may be a benefit, and there was a time when it seemed to help in competitions in mags as a disproportionate number of "winners" had one or other set of letters. This no longer seems to be the case, and any assumption that L, A or FRPS was an indication of overall ability seems to have disappeared.

You used to be able to earn the LRPS by doing 5 of the C&G modules and getting distinctions in 3 I think. This seems to me a more educational way of achieving the goal as you are likely to learn more than just how to please a set of judges with a panel of images.

There used to be a technique/tutorial on the site by someone who had submitted for the LRPS and then ARPS.

So, do you really want to spend this money each and every year? What is it going to tell you about your photography and what are you going to gain from the experience?

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014554 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2007 - 11:32 AM

let yer photos do the talking

Smile

User_Removed
25 Sep 2007 - 12:50 PM

Totally agree - both with Cheryl's comments and your Ade... 'A picture paints a thousand words' springs to mind. Wink

Last Modified By User_Removed at 25 Sep 2007 - 12:50 PM
debster
debster  9693 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2007 - 1:15 PM

I successfully presented a panel of ten images for my Licentiateship in May this year - was it worth it? For me it was as it gave me something to work towards, to keep me focused. It isn't as easy as some think - someone in my college class failed and yet we all thought he was well above standard!

The cost? I'm pretty awful with spending (a girl thing!) but I figure it's less than I spend on a magazine each week Smile

For anyone thinking of applying, there is a forum on the RPS website where you can upload images for other successful candidates and judges to give feedback on....this is really helpful.

Or you can PM me if you'd prefer.

HTH,
Debbie

PS I also passed all those City and Guild courses with distinctions and could have been exempt if I had preferred but I actually wanted a panel to be submitted to see what they thought.

mikeweeks
mikeweeks  9952 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2007 - 1:26 PM

Chris,

the real question I would ask is why do you think you want or need them. Pre Internet days they were a good way of getting a measure of your photography. You can get some really good feedback on sites such as this to help you improve but do not worry about the clicks as this is often due to a 'you click mine, I will click yours culture' which I do not prescribe to. Value the positive feedback from those whose work you admire.
I have seen some on the camera club circuit that collect qualifications and after having to sit through a few presentations of higher level work I doubt their value. There is a difference compared to the professional qualifications such as LMPA or LBIPP in that it is actual money generating work that is being assessed, which then gives you access to other things such as professional discounts.
If you do decide to go down this route there are often assessment days where your work will be critiqued but not assessed, but I am not sure if they will do this from CD yet.

Mike

agoreira
agoreira  106001 forum posts Wales
25 Sep 2007 - 1:44 PM

Quote: Totally agree - both with Cheryl's comments and your Ade... 'A picture paints a thousand words' springs to mind.

Similar thoughts here, it´s never been something that would interest me in the slightest. Similarly, if I was buying, I would want to see a person´s previous work, and make my decision based on what I had seen, not based on the fact that someone has a few letters after their name. Some people are good at passing exams, doesn´t follow that they are necessarily good photographers.
However, there are people that seem to like collecting letters after their name, and dropping it into conversation as often as they can, and if it makes them happy, fine, but if you are good enough, with or without letters, you´ll sell. In some lines of business, it´s possible that qualifications will help you, or indeed be required to advance your career, but photography is not one of those.

User_Removed
25 Sep 2007 - 1:51 PM

I think Mike nailed it Frank when he says -

Quote: Pre Internet days they were a good way of getting a measure of your photography.

Back that up with your input -

Quote: but if you are good enough, with or without letters, you´ll sell.

-

and all bases are covered IMO.

With the Internet now so heavily intertwined into today's photography, the ability to share and market one's work is just so easy - and very effective.

danbrann
danbrann e2 Member 9462 forum postsdanbrann vcard 15 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2007 - 2:00 PM

Quote: Quote:Totally agree - both with Cheryl's comments and your Ade... 'A picture paints a thousand words' springs to mind.Similar thoughts here, it´s never been something that would interest me in the slightest. Similarly, if I was buying, I would want to see a person´s previous work, and make my decision based on what I had seen, not based on the fact that someone has a few letters after their name. Some people are good at passing exams, doesn´t follow that they are necessarily good photographers.
However, there are people that seem to like collecting letters after their name, and dropping it into conversation as often as they can, and if it makes them happy, fine, but if you are good enough, with or without letters, you´ll sell. In some lines of business, it´s possible that qualifications will help you, or indeed be required to advance your career, but photography is not one of those.

Not everyone wants to advance their career in photography and are happy with their club photography. One of the benefits of joining the RPS is gaining access to their literature and discounts to the many fine talks and lectures.
I am not a member of the RPS but applaud the people who can discipline themselves sufficiently to make the effort to get a panel together. The cost of joining.... less than a pint per week. Go for it if this is what you want.

JohnHorne
JohnHorne  91023 forum posts
25 Sep 2007 - 2:05 PM

Quite a number of RPS members are also members of ePhotozine - eg: Duncan (LRPS), John Tisbury (ARPS), me (ARPS), Steven LePrevost (FRPS), Rikki O'Neill (FRPS) - and doubtless many others.

As has been said, there are several forum threads on this topic. If you are thinking of pursuing your LRPS or ARPS then it is well worth attending one of the distinctions workshops run by the RPS in order to get some advice on what the assessors look for and some feedback on your work.

Last Modified By JohnHorne at 25 Sep 2007 - 2:09 PM
csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2007 - 2:11 PM

Quote: Quite a number of RPS members are also members of ePhotozine - eg: Duncan (LRPS), me (ARPS), Steven LePrevost (FRPS), Rikki O'Neill (FRPS) - and doubtless many others.

Look they're all coming out of the woodwork now!

Smile

joolsb
joolsb e2 Member 927107 forum postsjoolsb vcard Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2007 - 2:13 PM

Quote: but if you are good enough, with or without letters, you´ll sell.

Not quite true. You have to be good enough and shoot the sort of thing people want to buy and you have to market yourself effectively and then, with a bit of luck, with or without letters, you´ll sell.

debster
debster  9693 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2007 - 2:49 PM

Perhaps I'm unusual (it's often been said!) but getting those letters after my name was NOT what it was all about for me. Infact the only time I've ever used those letters is once on my website when I reported my success.

For me, it was a personal journey......I started on this site three years hardly knowing which way up the camera went.....to be able to successfully take, mount and present a portfolio of photographs that were approved for an "award" gave me a great sense of personal satisfaction.

And....more importantly, as I previously mentioned, it gave me a goal to work towards. I'm now working towards my Associateship - and now I have to select a theme and work 15 photographs around that idea.....I'm doing a study of the Jurassic Coast in black and white - again, this gives me a "purpose" and something to work towards.

But I've always thought I was odd Smile

Debbie

joolsb
joolsb e2 Member 927107 forum postsjoolsb vcard Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2007 - 2:54 PM

Quote: present a portfolio of photographs that were approved for an "award" gave me a great sense of personal satisfaction.

Absolutely, Debbie. A lot of people knock these sort of things but, in the end, it's what you personally get out of it that counts. A lot of people seem to forget that and instead see having an award as a sort of one-upmanship. It's rather sad, really.

mikeweeks
mikeweeks  9952 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2007 - 3:00 PM

Debbie,

I applaud your efforts. I obtained my LBIPP just over 4 years ago, I did not need it, but wanted the confidence of being assessed and meeting the required standard of a professional photographic organisation. I usually do not mention the qualification as there is little need for its use.
This is an individual matter to decide on, its just that I feel that there are many that go down the route, not because of the challenge, but the badge at the end.

Mike

Last Modified By mikeweeks at 25 Sep 2007 - 3:02 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.