Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Life is too short?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2010 - 9:02 AM

I like to see as many things as I can whenever I go traveling; not really rushing, but not sitting around either.
My friend like to stop and stare and do nothing.
So, it makes me wonder.

Do you think:
Life is too short, why rush?
or
Life is too short, why stop and stare?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Apr 2010 - 9:02 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Geraint
Geraint  8715 forum posts Wales34 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2010 - 9:11 AM

Personally I think life is too short so we must fill our time with as much as possible. The way I see it is when I'm old I want to be able to look back and enjoy loads of memories. We are very lucky as photographers to be able to record a lot of our experiences and thoughts. I hope my photographs will be a treasure trove for my mind when I'm old and decrepid!

Metalhead
Metalhead  61866 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2010 - 9:25 AM

Well said, Geraint. I can't add much more to that statement.Smile

User_Removed
15 Apr 2010 - 9:42 AM

Geraint is right in many ways I think, but I also think we seem to have lost the ability to sit and think. To let the mind wander and contemplate the complexities of our lives. We feel guilty if we are sitting "doing nothing."

I had last week off work and "did nothing" - back at work this week and all people ask is what did you do? Where did you go? Well, I sat at home and read, I walked and thought, I didn't "do" anything.

Doing "nothing" is important, it allows the mind to settle and sort everything out.

User_Removed
15 Apr 2010 - 9:46 AM

Like Geraint said, live for today, memories are just memories.

Most people dont realize how little time we have on this earth as mortals until its too late. Some do something about it, some dont. Its easy to get stuck in a rut but ultimately only yourself your break those chains that hold you down.

Live for the moment ahead, not the moments behind us.

Artois
Artois  8405 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2010 - 11:36 AM

I like doing nothing but can only enjoy it if I should be doing something! I took early retirement 3 years ago from a stressful career as a trainer and I have never regretted retiring at 52 years young. I took a long time to adjust to relaxing and accepting that "Life is too short, why rush?"

"Stressy Stella" is nowadays a relatively stress free happy person.

Stella

miptog
miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2010 - 11:54 AM

Quote: Do you think:
Life is too short, why rush?
or
Life is too short, why stop and stare?

Its a balance, as are most things.

Someone once said:

"Remember as you are in 5th gear in the fast lane, to occasionally stop and look at the daises"

or

"When you are on holiday, why try and see everything, just focus on a few things that you will enjoy"

So for me its appreciation, and sometimes we are all too busy going from A to B, trying to get ahead, or having to work to pay the Mortgage etc., to actually enjoy life.

And yes, Life is too short.

Sus
Sus  93183 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2010 - 12:09 PM

There is no point in rushing to the next thing, if you do not take time to stop and appreciate where you are now.

Rushing is the modern malaise - made worse by choice. Too much choice means we agonise over which options to choose, or try to cram in all the options without appreciating them each individually.

Of course I never claimed I wasn't a hypocrite!

Jalapeno
Jalapeno  4127 forum posts Iceland2 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2010 - 12:14 PM

Life is short...mix it up....stuff your days with as much as you can...but then...have just as many days that are relaxing, doing few things....its just about balance! Too much rush means too much stress = early death!

Appreciate the things as they come, for what they are......
On holidays, if I have only a few days...I pick the things I want to see...stuff it in a day but make sure i take a day or 2 to just BE Smile

User_Removed
15 Apr 2010 - 12:16 PM

Life is too short is an interesting phrase. Life is too short. Too short for what? And, how long should it be? What would the ideal length of time to live? If we all lived to be 200 would life be very different? Maybe it would be slower? Maybe we would all get to 120 and be saying life is too long!

Anyway, must rush.....

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2010 - 12:20 PM

Thanks to medical science life is getting longer and longer (on average).

But there are questions over whether the 'extra length' includes a decent quality of life... e.g. dementia is apparently on the increase as are other ailments associated with old age.

Have we already got to the stage where life is actually too long?

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82318 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2010 - 2:25 PM

Quote: Live for the moment ahead, not the moments behind us

And what about the present?

Balance is what its about for me: the ying and yang of quality versus quantity. I move from one side of a scale to the other, and getting the balance right is a problem (I spend too much time on the quantity side).

Rgds,

Adam

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2010 - 3:17 PM

Quote: Life is too short is an interesting phrase. Life is too short. Too short for what?

Indeed. About 50+ years ago life probably didn't seem too short. It's just that since the '60s there's been a massive explosion in the choices available to us - places to go, things to see and do, etc.

So yes, life is short to do everything. So why not just do the things you want to do and forget the rest? Living is about being happy and we all have our own ideas about what that means. Life is simply as long as it is. Why make it seem shorter by worrying that there are things you will never experience?

Last Modified By joolsb at 15 Apr 2010 - 3:18 PM
brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110247 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2010 - 3:28 PM

Quote: Life is too short, why rush?

If I'm lucky (and avoid the "olds" in their "Go Buggies" , a real hazard down here in Christchurch) I can expect another 15 - 20 years before my clogs expire.

Although time is definitely going much faster since I retired 13 years ago I plan to enjoy every moment of it (and screw every penny I can out of my company pension scheme Smile )

montechoro
montechoro  112340 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2010 - 3:57 PM

Don't we all as photographers take time to stand and stare at our images and what we want to record and capture to give us pleasure?

W. H. Davies 1871 - 1940

Leisure

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?

No time to stand beneath the boughs,
And stare as long as sheep and cows:

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass:

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night:

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance:

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began?

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

Some of us do rush around travelling great distances at a great pace packing our day full of things do. I know I have had days which seem to be one 14 hour blur of fast paced activity and cramming things in.

Others take in what is around them and find beauty in the smallest thing, the most fleeting moment in time - something that might only last for a few seconds - something that those in such a focused rush would never know existed and would miss in their rush to fit it all in.

"A poor life this if full of care, we have no time to stand and stare"

Life is never too short - it's what you do with it that counts.

Good thread Cole - very thought provoking

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.