Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Life line thrown to Olympus 4Thirds owners.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
kodachrome
20 Aug 2012 - 1:17 PM

Olympus announced they are to make another 4thirds body available to all their loyal 4third supporters round the world. No mention as yet on design or specs [unless you know more], but rumour suggests it will have the EVF and 16mp technology from the O-MD E-M5.

Kodachrome

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Aug 2012 - 1:17 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
20 Aug 2012 - 1:42 PM

Why would it need the EVF? The only reason for buying it would be the OVF.

Stephen_w3d
20 Aug 2012 - 4:27 PM

As I understand it Olympus has issued a statement that it is working on a camera body that will work with its range of Pro lenses. At this point there is no mention that it is a 4/3rds body it could equally be a u4/3 body that works better with its top 4/3 glass.

Steve

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315219 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
20 Aug 2012 - 4:46 PM

Quote: Life line thrown to Olympus 4Thirds owners

That`s a bit drastic Smile

Quote: at this point there is no mention that it is a 4/3rds body it could equally be a u4/3 body that works better with its top 4/3 glass

It will be a replacement for the E5, not another M4/3 camera.

Stephen_w3d
20 Aug 2012 - 6:13 PM

Quote taken from Olympus facebook page

Akira Watanabe, manager of Olympus Imaging's SLR planning department, confirmed today that the company is definitely working on a body to deliver the focusing performance expe
cted by users of the Top Pro lens series like the ground breaking 90-250 f2.8 fixed aperture zoom.

Watanabe has been delighted with the success of the OM-D which has pushed the boundaries of performance for system cameras but acknowledged that it did not deliver with the legacy high end lenses from the E-System. Whilst further information wasn't forthcoming, he was keen to emphasise that Olympus is actively developing a solution and will announce more details in due course.

Says nothing about a 4/3 body

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
20 Aug 2012 - 6:21 PM

Olympus have said the E-M5 is only the first in a line of OM-D bodies. The E-M5 is not presented as a pro body, nothwithstanding it is used by a few pros.

A further M4/3 body in the OM-D line, which can take 4/3 lenses (without an adaptor), has got to be a possibility.

Olympus are "developing a solution"............ not necessarily a DSLR.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315219 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
20 Aug 2012 - 7:15 PM

Quote: Says nothing about a 4/3 body

Pro`s using the top notch 4/3 lenses are not going to want to shove them on to a M4/3 body.

Quote: A further M4/3 body in the OM-D line, which can take 4/3 lenses (without an adaptor), has got to be a possibility

Now that`s just being silly, why produce a M4/3 body that can not take M4/3 lenses.

Carabosse
20 Aug 2012 - 7:18 PM

Quote: why produce a M4/3 body that can not take M4/3 lenses

Who says it won't be able to? Wink A body that can take both 4/3 and M4/3 lenses would be a challenge but not, one assumes, an impossibility.

I doubt there are many pros using 4/3 DSLRs these days........... if indeed there ever were.

Paul Morgan
20 Aug 2012 - 7:21 PM

You can do that already CB via an adapter, but as I found, I could see little point in wanting to attach 4/3 lenses to a micro 4/3 body, defeats the reasoning for having such a small body in the first place.

Some of us have gone from 4/3 to M4/3 remember Smile

Carabosse
20 Aug 2012 - 7:25 PM

Quote: You can do that already CB via an adapter

Yes but I discern that what is being said is the 4/3 lenses, via an adaptor, do not "deliver". So why not have (e.g.) a slightly larger M4/3 body which can take 4/3 lenses without an adaptor. It can still be mirrorless.

Paul Morgan
20 Aug 2012 - 7:29 PM

Little point CB, remember I flogged my 35-100 because I was going 100% M4/3, your not being realistic.

Quote: Yes but I discern that what is being said is the 4/3 lenses, via an adaptor, do not "deliver"

Yep there`s a down side to attaching a lot of glass to a small body if your mad enough to want to do this in the first place.

Carabosse
20 Aug 2012 - 7:33 PM

I seriously doubt it will be a DSLR anyway. Oly's 4/3 DSLRs were never a raging success and I doubt they will go down that line again: they can't afford to make mistakes in their current financial position.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with. Won't be anytime soon though, I'm guessing.

Stephen_w3d
20 Aug 2012 - 7:40 PM

Watanabe has been delighted with the success of the OM-D which has pushed the boundaries of performance for system cameras but acknowledged that it did not deliver with the legacy high end lenses from the E-System. Whilst further information wasn't forthcoming, he was keen to emphasise that Olympus is actively developing a solution and will announce more details in due course.

I'm not saying there wont be a 4/3 body but I think the quote above in bold is key, why would they need to develop a solution for a 4/3 body, they already have one its called the mirror box. u4/3 on the other hand different story.

Carabosse
20 Aug 2012 - 8:00 PM

Why would a mirror box improve performance? A revised AF system might though.

Paul Morgan
20 Aug 2012 - 8:20 PM

Have you ever used an E3 or E5 CB.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.