Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

lifespan of NIKON D3100

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    pasanroxbci
    6 Jun 2012 - 7:49 AM

Anyone have any idea of how many shots a NIKON D3100 ????i.e the lifespan of its shutter...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    6 Jun 2012 - 7:49 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GarethRobinson
    GarethRobinson e2 Member 8998 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Jun 2012 - 9:45 AM

120,000 is the expected lifetime.

pasanroxbci
    6 Jun 2012 - 11:11 AM

thanks mate

strawman
    strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Jun 2012 - 11:23 AM

Hi its like the life of your car, lower cost ones being designed for 10 years, 100,000 miles, but its based on a life for a percentage of them. So you have one person with a 20 year old 200,000 mile still rattling along and another at 50,000 miles where the cam belt snaps and the engine lunches itself.

Shutters can be replaced, and some will go for many many shots. also for many of them the life is not till failure but rather for calibration, so it still may be functional but some timing aspects may go out of cal. Depending what you do, this may or may not impact you. so I expect you will find some older entry level Nikon's rattling around with well over 100,000 shots and some unlucky sod's who's shutter gave up a couple of months outside the warranty.

pasanroxbci
    7 Jun 2012 - 8:23 AM

any more comments from the members?

thewilliam
    7 Jun 2012 - 10:16 AM

I'd have thought that other factors limit the life of an entry-level Nikon. 120k is a lot of pictures for an amateur, or indeed a studio-based photographer like me, so I doubt many will get "worn out".

The sealing of a D3100 is nowhere near that of its pro-level brethren so moisture, dust, sand etc will get in. Regular use at the seaside would certainly shorten its life.

thewilliam
    7 Jun 2012 - 10:29 AM

I should have added that the structure of a D3100 is nowhere near as tough as a pro-level body which is why it weighs a lot less. It won't take the rough and tumble, so if this is the life you give cameras, it will fall apart long before the shutter wears out.

In the good old days of film, the shutter in the original Nikon F would have had a similar lifespan!

User_Removed
    7 Jun 2012 - 3:55 PM

I regard myself as a fairly enthusiastic amateur but my shutter does not click more than 10,000 times a year.

I honestly cannot see myself keeping any camera for long enough to wear out the shutter at that rate.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.