Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Light Meters

strokebloke e2
6 481 16 England
21 Feb 2012 1:07PM
Is it possible for analogue Light Meters, Leningrad4/Weston Master II for example, to lose their light measuring capability? Either ambient or incident light. In other words to provide defective readings. I have one of each and they sometimes seem to contradict one another. And often the camera (D300) meter too. I use one or the other of them with the F5

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
21 Feb 2012 1:44PM
How different are the readings?
BillyGoatGruff e2
7 191 199 England
21 Feb 2012 2:03PM
I had two Weston V's tested three years ago by a camera repairman guru and one was found to be about half a stop under optimum but still usable and the other had lost its calibration completely and was useless and unrepairable.
Both are about 35+ years old, so it would seem that they can (and do) lose their sensitivity over time. I would guess that the light sensitive element just wears out and/or loses its ability to generate a current.
Or, perhaps, the physical, moving parts lose their accuracy or fail due to material fatigue.
As your D300 is significantly more recent, chances are that it'll be more accurate.
strokebloke e2
6 481 16 England
21 Feb 2012 4:09PM
Thank you. I must admit that I bought both S/H off eBay some time ago & payed relatively little for them.
I shall look at a quality digital meter instead.
Your advice is much appreciated Smile
Gaucho e2
13 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
21 Feb 2012 8:44PM
I believe you can calibrate the Weston Master via a little hole on the back. You might test it against the D300 and re-align the needle.
Snapper e2
9 3.8k 3 United States Outlying Islands
21 Feb 2012 8:59PM
The selenium cell goes on the Weston and they won't give any meaningful reading. Repair is still an option though, and then you'll have a battery-free meter that will last for years. Cell replacement seems to cost about 70 according to this site that Google found.
strokebloke e2
6 481 16 England
21 Feb 2012 11:41PM
Malcolm & Peter. Thank you both for the info provided. Much appreciated.
Some research/testing to do tomorrow Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.