Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Light Meters

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    strokebloke
    21 Feb 2012 - 1:07 PM

Is it possible for analogue Light Meters, Leningrad4/Weston Master II for example, to lose their light measuring capability? Either ambient or incident light. In other words to provide defective readings. I have one of each and they sometimes seem to contradict one another. And often the camera (D300) meter too. I use one or the other of them with the F5

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 Feb 2012 - 1:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
    mikehit  46148 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Feb 2012 - 1:44 PM

How different are the readings?

BillyGoatGruff
    BillyGoatGruff e2 Member 7191 forum postsBillyGoatGruff vcard England199 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Feb 2012 - 2:03 PM

I had two Weston V's tested three years ago by a camera repairman guru and one was found to be about half a stop under optimum but still usable and the other had lost its calibration completely and was useless and unrepairable.
    Both are about 35+ years old, so it would seem that they can (and do) lose their sensitivity over time. I would guess that the light sensitive element just wears out and/or loses its ability to generate a current.
    Or, perhaps, the physical, moving parts lose their accuracy or fail due to material fatigue.
    As your D300 is significantly more recent, chances are that it'll be more accurate.

strokebloke
    21 Feb 2012 - 4:09 PM

Thank you. I must admit that I bought both S/H off eBay some time ago & payed relatively little for them.
    I shall look at a quality digital meter instead.
    Your advice is much appreciated Smile

Gaucho
    Gaucho e2 Member 122198 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Feb 2012 - 8:44 PM

I believe you can calibrate the Weston Master via a little hole on the back. You might test it against the D300 and re-align the needle.

Snapper
    Snapper  93702 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Feb 2012 - 8:59 PM

The selenium cell goes on the Weston and they won't give any meaningful reading. Repair is still an option though, and then you'll have a battery-free meter that will last for years. Cell replacement seems to cost about 70 according to this site that Google found.

strokebloke
    21 Feb 2012 - 11:41 PM

Malcolm & Peter. Thank you both for the info provided. Much appreciated.
    Some research/testing to do tomorrow Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.