Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lightbulb advice

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ade123
    ade123 e2 Member 1140 forum postsade123 vcard United Kingdom
    12 Feb 2013 - 1:34 PM

Hi,
    I have just obtained 2 bayco clamp lights from America and would like to know which
    Light bulbs to use,I will be using them with a light tent for photographing small items etc.
    The fitting is a screw in type and the on the label it states maximum 150w (type R,PAR-38 or BR)
    Or 200w type A) I will obviously have to buy an adapter for the plug but for $6 dollars each I thought
    It was a good purchase and a relative posted them for free.
    I just wondered if anyone could give me some pointers on purchasing the right light bulbs.
    Regards Adrian

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Feb 2013 - 1:34 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jat_Riski
    Jat_Riski  559 forum posts United Kingdom
    12 Feb 2013 - 2:01 PM

Have a look @ cpc.co.uk website Adrian you may find helpful.

Last Modified By Jat_Riski at 12 Feb 2013 - 2:03 PM
    GlennH
    GlennH e2 Member 81820 forum postsGlennH vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Feb 2013 - 2:24 PM

There's a useful PDF here that defines those bulb-types if you scroll down. You can still buy high-wattage incandescent GLS bulbs (type-A) in the UK because they slipped through a loophole in the EU phase-out if I remember correctly. With a PAR light you may be able to fit an LED alternative, albeit at a cost. The main advantage would be no discernible heat, plus vastly longer lifespan and less fragility.

ade123
    13 Feb 2013 - 7:04 AM

Thanks for the advice i now have the problem of sorting out the wiring as they are 120v
    So need an adapter or does anyone know if the lights can be re wired to uk standard

GlennH
    GlennH e2 Member 81820 forum postsGlennH vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Feb 2013 - 8:00 AM

The adapters are just a few quid on Amazon so don't know if it's worth rewiring? Also, flicking around on the internet suggests you don't need to switch the cable on a straightforward lighting fixture - just the plug and bulb.

Reminds me of the brief period I spent testing CRT monitors from America - a mind-numbing job, but I was occasionally woken up if I forgot to switch the voltage!

thewilliam
    13 Feb 2013 - 10:10 AM

Be very careful when checking the supply voltage needed for your lights because US mains supply is about half the voltage of ours.

Plugging any US appliance directly into our supply is very likely to result in some fireworks or worse unless you use the correct step-down transformer.

If you're able to get bulbs rated for European mains voltage, you'll need to check the voltage rating of the cable and connectors. If it's less than 230V, don't use it with UK mains. You could cause injury and you'll invalidate your fire insurance.

ade123
    13 Feb 2013 - 6:39 PM

Hi,
    I have been to maplins and they have the transformer for 29.99 and this will enable me to use
    The light safely
    Regards Adrian

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.