Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lighting, triggers and portability

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MrGoatsmilk
20 Feb 2012 - 2:14 PM

I want to use flash outdoors in order to light mainly couples and maybe small groups such as a family of 4 or so. Currently I have 2 x Bowens Gemini 400w heads and wonder if it's worth getting a Bowens travel pak (499) to power them when outside or to power just one light and use it with daylight and a softbox attached. Or is there another way of powering outdoors other than a generator or just buy something along the lines of a Quantum Turbo and beauty dish.

I am also thinking of getting something along the lines of a 580EXII to have behind the subject, or would a Nissin or Jessops own be a better option, happy to set them up with a light meter using flash on manual.

Then I'm going to need flash triggers would like pocket wizards but wonder if I can use cheaper triggers instead then if all goes to plan upgrade the triggers in the near future to pocket wizards or similar.

Any ideas or thoughts greatly appreciated, I keep looking at various flashes and battery packs and going around in circles

In a nushell I want to light the couples so that there are no dark shadows under their eyes and want to use natural light and take in the surroundings outdoors.

Thanks for any help

Stu

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Feb 2012 - 2:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014708 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2012 - 2:46 PM

Nissin get my thumbs up, and it you look at Richard Spurden's fashion work, you can see they work nicely - he uses them and I think he's got a 580 EX2 as well.

if you're happy using manual flash and light meters, do you need pocket wizards when Pixel do reliable triggers at a fraction of the cost?

if you want ETTL, then Pocket Wizards all the way

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
FlashBangPicture

Seculine triggers are well made and reliable and cheaper than PWs ..but not ettl . They have announced the release of PW3s today which are priced at $139 not sure what UK pricing will be though

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53513 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2012 - 4:23 PM

The new PocketWizard Plus III http://www.pocketwizard.com/news_events/news/plusiii/
Transceiver features 32 channels and Selective Quad-Zone Triggering!

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2012 - 5:00 PM

Quote: if you want ETTL, then Pocket Wizards all the way

That used to be the case, But " Pixel Pro " are now doing ETTL triggers ( Tranceivers ) that are in thier second generation of development, According to some they are every bit as good as a Pocket Wizard, Just a whole lot cheaper.....Grin

Check out the whole Pixel Pro Range here.....!!!

In case your wondering the company at the end of the link are very good to deal with, I have bought loads of stuff from them, Almost always next day delivery to....Wink

jimthistle73
20 Feb 2012 - 5:04 PM

If you've got the cash, drop it on a Quantum outfit. I don't and get everything I need with a few Nikon speedlites firing in Manual mode, set off by THESE triggers - I have three of them now - one on the camera and one for each speedlite.

That's more than enough to 'lift' your subject. A few mates and I tried going down the generator route whilst messing around at uni, and found that we would need a genny the size of a transit van to get enough voltage for two flash heads.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314810 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2012 - 5:09 PM

Quote: I am also thinking of getting something along the lines of a 580EXII to have behind the subject

Plenty of units for 5 or less that can do an equally good job Smile

MrGoatsmilk
21 Feb 2012 - 7:46 AM

Thanks all, as I'm at work today I shall have a read through the links Smile

Stu

MrGoatsmilk
22 Feb 2012 - 8:42 AM

Just been looking at the Pixel TF-371 Wireless Flash & Studio Grouping Trigger x 3 Receivers for Canon System as an example. http://www.ukhighland.co.uk/lighting-studio/triggers-sync/pixel-tf371-3receivers-flashtrigger.html

Would these fire non Canon brand flashes such as Nissin or the cheap used ones I have picked up from second hand shops and would they be likely to fire my studio lights Bowens Gemini 500 heads along with what I currently use which is a Bessel trigger http://www.bessel.co.uk/info/RemoteTrigger.html

Thanks again

Last Modified By MrGoatsmilk at 22 Feb 2012 - 8:43 AM
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2012 - 6:02 PM

Good reading.
Just wish there are more responses...Smile

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
5 Mar 2012 - 9:12 PM

Right guys, I need your advice here as I am new to strobist.
I want to get into more location lighting stuff to open up another dimension on my photos.
I have a 580EXII. I am after:
2 extra speedlight (maybe YongNuo YN-560?)
wireless trigger + 3 x receivers (maybe RF-602? I don't really know)
2 softboxes
2 lightstands & whatever brackets/clamp etc I need to mount the softbox/speedlight etc.

Of course I want to keep the cost down as much as possible, but I want the 3 lights setup for a reason. I don't really care how difficult it is to do 3, I will crack it eventually.
So, any suggestions on the kits would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314810 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
5 Mar 2012 - 9:33 PM

Quote: & whatever brackets/clamp etc I need to mount the softbox/speedlight etc

I swear by these Col

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Interfit-INT326-Strobies-XS-Bracket/dp/B002X6XE0C/ref=pd...

If your not needing ttl there`s a choice of hundreds of flash units.

Coleslaw
5 Mar 2012 - 9:36 PM

manual would be fine.

Paul Morgan
5 Mar 2012 - 9:38 PM

Quote: manual would be fine

A couple of quid for each flash unit should be enough then.

Coleslaw
5 Mar 2012 - 9:39 PM

like what? needs to be powerful enough though.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.