Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lighting a product to get a pure white background

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    AdamJStilwell
    10 Jun 2009 - 2:59 PM

Hi,

I want to photograph product shots on a pure white background. Im using a small table top studio and an elinchrom d-lite 2 kit.
    Im having trouble getting a pure white background, my shots seem to come out with a grey, dull look to the background.

I place the product on the white perspex and light the product using my kit, I have tried lighting the product from underneath, which does help but im still not getting the results I require?

Can anyone give me adivce on what to do to solve this problem?

Thanks

Adam

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Jun 2009 - 2:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SimPick
    SimPick  8545 forum posts Azerbaijan2 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Jun 2009 - 3:32 PM

Hi Adam,

What camera do you have ? I am presuming that you can set a custom white balance ? Or shoot RAW and then choose the white balance later.

Simon.
    ------------------------------------------

Sorry, how lazy of me. Should have looked at your PF. I see you have a 350d, and you can set custom WB. Take a shot of the background only, taking up the whole frame. Then go to camera settings -> white balance -> custom white balance. It will ask you to choose an image stored on your card. Choose the shot of the background that you took, and viola !

Last Modified By SimPick at 10 Jun 2009 - 3:37 PM
    digicammad
    digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Jun 2009 - 3:43 PM

If you are getting a grey background your problem is more likely to be the lighting on the background rather than white balance.

Try to set up a light to shine on the background without any spill onto your product. It may take a few tries to get it right.

Once you have got your bg close to white you should be able to tweak it in PS to make it totally white.

HTH

Ian
    xx

SteveCheshire
    10 Jun 2009 - 5:38 PM

The simple answer is to set the background light 1.5 to 2 stops higher than your main light. Meter for your main light and you'll get a lovely pure white background.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.