Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Lighting Advice Wanted Please.

torres99 5 119 1 United Kingdom
28 Dec 2011 11:13PM
Hi There

I was just after a bit of advice i have been asked to some portraits for a few familys and was wandering would these lights bw suitable?

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/77688/Show.html?cm_vc=PPZ1 any advice would be most welcome

Thanks in advance

Carl

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

miked70 5 225 3 South Africa
29 Dec 2011 4:36AM
these work well but as the power is very low compared to studio strobes you need to use low f-stop or high iso to get the same result,good part is you can see the light to set it up,found the light very kind to skin tone,so if you dont mind the limits they will work just fine
29 Dec 2011 9:53AM
I dont know about those ones in particular, im not really well versed on continuous lights.
However..... check out the lencarta website, a smartflash 200 costs about 100, throw in a cheap s-fit softbox from ebay (about 30) and a decent stand (again, lencarta have some great stands for 20 or so) and you've got good starter.
If you need a second light then either go for a second smartflash when you have funds, use a reflector to start with or (shock horror) one of the cheapo ebay kits (neewer 500w kit, two 250w strobes, softboxes, stands, reflectors, etc all for about 150) the neewer ebay kits are actually pretty good (i have one) obviously not as good quality wise as the lencarta strobes, but for starting out or as a kit to use at home or messing about then they are fine (the strobes arent fan cooled so dont leave them on for hours at a time though).
miptog 9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
29 Dec 2011 10:22AM
Is there a reason that you are looking at continious lighting as opposed to strobe?

Is there anything else that you wish to use the lights for, other than portraits?
MeanGreeny 9 3.7k England
29 Dec 2011 12:10PM
Advanced Photographer magazine did a review of continuous lighting a couple of months ago. IIRC only one kit was considered adequate - the rest were somewhat underpowered for general use.
PhilScot 8 303 United Kingdom
29 Dec 2011 1:00PM
If you want a starter flash kit look at this. I know it is Jessops but it is the best deal for these lights and not a bad kit to learn on.
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/74367/show.html
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
29 Dec 2011 4:55PM
On there own there going to be limiting, especially with soft boxes attached.

These are better suited to product or still life photography.
torres99 5 119 1 United Kingdom
29 Dec 2011 7:34PM
Thanks guys for all you replys,

i think i may look at more, Miptog have you any ideas for strobe kits i could look at.

Thanks again

Carl
cattyal e2
9 6.1k 6 England
29 Dec 2011 7:40PM
I've been using the older version of this kit by Elemental HERE for the last couple of years and it's proved to be an excellent buy. Ok, mine is 250w and I've been adding extras as money allows ie. barn doors, beauty dishes etc.
miptog 9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
29 Dec 2011 8:33PM

Quote:Miptog have you any ideas for strobe kits i could look at

Elemental is a popular suggestion on these forums. Cattyal has provided a link in her post (above). Go for the best within your budget. Althought twin head kits are popular, several suggest just start with one light, and learn how to use it, before buying other heads. Also bear in mind that the introductry kits are not designed for heavy professional use, but for the "hobbyist / home user".

I am sure that other memebers who have used and purchased strobe kits will also comment.
MeanGreeny 9 3.7k England
30 Dec 2011 11:24AM
Merlin Hobo range available through CotswoldPhoto on eBay. Lotsa bang for your buck with a reputable UK seller. IIRC it's made by the same company in China that makes the Elemental strobes.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.