Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lighting Advice Wanted Please.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    torres99
    torres99  5119 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Dec 2011 - 11:13 PM

Hi There

I was just after a bit of advice i have been asked to some portraits for a few familys and was wandering would these lights bw suitable?

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/77688/Show.html?cm_vc=PPZ1 any advice would be most welcome

Thanks in advance

Carl

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 Dec 2011 - 11:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

miked70
    miked70  5225 forum posts South Africa3 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Dec 2011 - 4:36 AM

these work well but as the power is very low compared to studio strobes you need to use low f-stop or high iso to get the same result,good part is you can see the light to set it up,found the light very kind to skin tone,so if you dont mind the limits they will work just fine

stratocaster72
    29 Dec 2011 - 9:53 AM

I dont know about those ones in particular, im not really well versed on continuous lights.
    However..... check out the lencarta website, a smartflash 200 costs about 100, throw in a cheap s-fit softbox from ebay (about 30) and a decent stand (again, lencarta have some great stands for 20 or so) and you've got good starter.
    If you need a second light then either go for a second smartflash when you have funds, use a reflector to start with or (shock horror) one of the cheapo ebay kits (neewer 500w kit, two 250w strobes, softboxes, stands, reflectors, etc all for about 150) the neewer ebay kits are actually pretty good (i have one) obviously not as good quality wise as the lencarta strobes, but for starting out or as a kit to use at home or messing about then they are fine (the strobes arent fan cooled so dont leave them on for hours at a time though).

miptog
    miptog  83529 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Dec 2011 - 10:22 AM

Is there a reason that you are looking at continious lighting as opposed to strobe?

Is there anything else that you wish to use the lights for, other than portraits?

MeanGreeny
    29 Dec 2011 - 12:10 PM

Advanced Photographer magazine did a review of continuous lighting a couple of months ago. IIRC only one kit was considered adequate - the rest were somewhat underpowered for general use.

PhilScot
    PhilScot  7212 forum posts United Kingdom
    29 Dec 2011 - 1:00 PM

If you want a starter flash kit look at this. I know it is Jessops but it is the best deal for these lights and not a bad kit to learn on.
    http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/74367/show.html

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214395 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Dec 2011 - 4:55 PM

On there own there going to be limiting, especially with soft boxes attached.

These are better suited to product or still life photography.

torres99
    torres99  5119 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Dec 2011 - 7:34 PM

Thanks guys for all you replys,

i think i may look at more, Miptog have you any ideas for strobe kits i could look at.

Thanks again

Carl

cattyal
    cattyal e2 Member 85793 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Dec 2011 - 7:40 PM

I've been using the older version of this kit by Elemental HERE for the last couple of years and it's proved to be an excellent buy. Ok, mine is 250w and I've been adding extras as money allows ie. barn doors, beauty dishes etc.

miptog
    miptog  83529 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Dec 2011 - 8:33 PM

Quote: Miptog have you any ideas for strobe kits i could look at

Elemental is a popular suggestion on these forums. Cattyal has provided a link in her post (above). Go for the best within your budget. Althought twin head kits are popular, several suggest just start with one light, and learn how to use it, before buying other heads. Also bear in mind that the introductry kits are not designed for heavy professional use, but for the "hobbyist / home user".

I am sure that other memebers who have used and purchased strobe kits will also comment.

MeanGreeny
    30 Dec 2011 - 11:24 AM

Merlin Hobo range available through CotswoldPhoto on eBay. Lotsa bang for your buck with a reputable UK seller. IIRC it's made by the same company in China that makes the Elemental strobes.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.