Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lighting for beginners

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    FrogTastic
    25 Mar 2013 - 1:06 PM

Not sure if this guy has been mentioned on the forum, but I found his videos really helpful.

YouTube Channel

Website

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Mar 2013 - 1:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

puertouk
    puertouk  21052 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Mar 2013 - 5:08 PM

Also, try Sekonic site.

wheresjp
    wheresjp  6102 forum posts United Kingdom
    25 Mar 2013 - 11:55 PM

Here are in my opinion the best resources for lighting!

Smile Adorama TV Especially the Mark Wallace 1 on 1 videos. But loads of Great stuff! Hours spent watching!

Smile FrogTastics links above for Smoking Strobes!

Wink David Hobby the Guru of speedlights! His blog is worth trawling through especially the Lighting 101 section!

Smile B&H Photography Store in NY. Great in depth videos of over an hour with Pro Photogs on all subject especially Lighting. B&H

Smile Gavin Hoey has loads of useful videos that are easy to follow and fun! You may recognize him from articles/cover disc Photo Mags . His youtube channel and Website.

This should keep anyone going for quite a while! Since I got into portraiture last march I have read/watched all these sources religiously!

Hope this helps

lemontart
    lemontart  154 forum posts United Kingdom
    1 Apr 2013 - 4:20 PM

I have read through the forum and others, spent weeks of my life (at least it would appear so to my family) watching videos etc and trawling ebay/amazon/wex and more.

Like many my budget is small to start with having already spent what is to me a fortune on accessories and a few one day courses witch have sent by bank card into hiding as I learn more and want to do more.

I have seen lots of kits starting at 100 and up that give some of what I believe I need but not all

Can any one take a look and tell me what is essential what is not and recommend budget minded sources for such

So far I have on my list for kit

Soft box with honey comb grid (detachable) possible 2 750w
    Umbrella reflector with removable back cover - seen one at 25
    Backdrop support with black, white and chroma muslin not vinyl back drops
    hot shoe or hot shoes for flash
    and seen some triggers on eBay that look like old fashion flash cubes that have been recommended by a photographer at goingdigital
    folding 5 way reflector around 10 -25 pounds

Many thanks for your comments and input folk

Chrism8
    Chrism8  7739 forum posts England13 Constructive Critique Points
    23 May 2013 - 8:02 PM

I'd go for :-

Quote: Soft box with honey comb grid (detachable) possible 2 x 250w or 300w forget the grid
    Umbrella reflector with removable back cover - seen one at 25 - forget the removable cover
    Backdrop support with black, white and chroma muslin not vinyl back drops - forget the chroma
    hot shoe or hot shoes for flash - go for 3 x studio triggers, flea bay ones are OK
    and seen some triggers on eBay that look like old fashion flash cubes that have been recommended by a photographer at goingdigital
    folding 5 way reflector around 10 -25 pounds - Poss Smile

Done quite a bit of studio portrait work, use lights from china here very pleased with units and overall service.

HTH

Chris

Last Modified By Chrism8 at 23 May 2013 - 8:02 PM
    gobby
    gobby  1055 forum posts United Kingdom
    25 Jul 2013 - 4:25 AM

I have been looking at Flash shoe holders for light stands and there are many on the market that will probably be suitable. I have though come across both type B and type D but no explanations as to what the type refers to.
    Any ideas folks, I have tried google with no avail.
    Dave

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72117 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Jul 2013 - 8:10 PM

Hi Dave, put up a link to display the 2 types (B and D).

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314810 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Jul 2013 - 10:28 PM

Quote: Backdrop support with black, white and chroma muslin not vinyl back drops

If your on a tight budget you would be better of using string and bulldog clips Smile Smile

gobby
    gobby  1055 forum posts United Kingdom
    26 Jul 2013 - 12:35 AM

Andrew
    Here are the links.

Type b = http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=flash+shoe+holder+for+nikon&...

Type D =http://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Flashlight-Umbrella-Speedlite-Compatible/dp/B00DBVKHJO/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1374795203&sr=1-3&keywords=flash+shoe+holder+for+nikon+type+d

juliathomas123
    juliathomas123 Junior Member United Kingdom
    22 Oct 2013 - 6:50 PM

Quote: I have been looking at Flash shoe holders for light stands and there are many on the market that will probably be suitable. I have though come across both type B and type D but no explanations as to what the type refers to.
    Any ideas folks, I have tried google with no avail.
    Dave

You can visit clarolighting. this site may be helpful to you.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.