Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Lighting for beginners

FrogTastic 5 52 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2013 1:06PM
Not sure if this guy has been mentioned on the forum, but I found his videos really helpful.

YouTube Channel

Website

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

puertouk 3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2013 5:08PM
Also, try Sekonic site.
wheresjp 7 102 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2013 11:55PM
Here are in my opinion the best resources for lighting!

Smile Adorama TV Especially the Mark Wallace 1 on 1 videos. But loads of Great stuff! Hours spent watching!

Smile FrogTastics links above for Smoking Strobes!

Wink David Hobby the Guru of speedlights! His blog is worth trawling through especially the Lighting 101 section!

Smile B&H Photography Store in NY. Great in depth videos of over an hour with Pro Photogs on all subject especially Lighting. B&H

Smile Gavin Hoey has loads of useful videos that are easy to follow and fun! You may recognize him from articles/cover disc Photo Mags . His youtube channel and Website .

This should keep anyone going for quite a while! Since I got into portraiture last march I have read/watched all these sources religiously!

Hope this helps
lemontart 2 55 United Kingdom
1 Apr 2013 4:20PM
I have read through the forum and others, spent weeks of my life (at least it would appear so to my family) watching videos etc and trawling ebay/amazon/wex and more.

Like many my budget is small to start with having already spent what is to me a fortune on accessories and a few one day courses witch have sent by bank card into hiding as I learn more and want to do more.

I have seen lots of kits starting at 100 and up that give some of what I believe I need but not all

Can any one take a look and tell me what is essential what is not and recommend budget minded sources for such

So far I have on my list for kit

Soft box with honey comb grid (detachable) possible 2 750w
Umbrella reflector with removable back cover - seen one at 25
Backdrop support with black, white and chroma muslin not vinyl back drops
hot shoe or hot shoes for flash
and seen some triggers on eBay that look like old fashion flash cubes that have been recommended by a photographer at goingdigital
folding 5 way reflector around 10 -25 pounds

Many thanks for your comments and input folk
Chrism8 8 752 14 England
23 May 2013 8:02PM
I'd go for :-

Quote:Soft box with honey comb grid (detachable) possible 2 x 250w or 300w forget the grid
Umbrella reflector with removable back cover - seen one at 25 - forget the removable cover
Backdrop support with black, white and chroma muslin not vinyl back drops - forget the chroma
hot shoe or hot shoes for flash - go for 3 x studio triggers, flea bay ones are OK
and seen some triggers on eBay that look like old fashion flash cubes that have been recommended by a photographer at goingdigital
folding 5 way reflector around 10 -25 pounds - Poss Smile

Done quite a bit of studio portrait work, use lights from china here very pleased with units and overall service.

HTH

Chris
gobby 10 55 United Kingdom
25 Jul 2013 4:25AM
I have been looking at Flash shoe holders for light stands and there are many on the market that will probably be suitable. I have though come across both type B and type D but no explanations as to what the type refers to.
Any ideas folks, I have tried google with no avail.
Dave
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
25 Jul 2013 8:10PM
Hi Dave, put up a link to display the 2 types (B and D).
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
25 Jul 2013 10:28PM

Quote:Backdrop support with black, white and chroma muslin not vinyl back drops

If your on a tight budget you would be better of using string and bulldog clips Smile Smile
gobby 10 55 United Kingdom
26 Jul 2013 12:35AM
Andrew
Here are the links.

Type b = http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=flash+shoe+holder+for+nikon&tag=googhydr-21&index=electronics&hvadid=33015200510&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=706310&hvnetw=g&hvrand=231542680366083905&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_22rnlb5c47_b

Type D =http://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Flashlight-Umbrella-Speedlite-Compatible/dp/B00DBVKHJO/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1374795203&sr=1-3&keywords=flash+shoe+holder+for+nikon+type+d
juliathomas123 Junior Member 1 3 United Kingdom
22 Oct 2013 6:50PM

Quote:I have been looking at Flash shoe holders for light stands and there are many on the market that will probably be suitable. I have though come across both type B and type D but no explanations as to what the type refers to.
Any ideas folks, I have tried google with no avail.
Dave

You can visit clarolighting . this site may be helpful to you.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.