Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Lighting Silver Products

rhowbust 4 13 United Kingdom
3 Mar 2012 12:22AM
Hi Guys

I am due to shoot silver cuff links for a website. Reading up on how to best light such a difficult material it seems that daylight lamps are required with the use of a tent or by using a daylight photobox.
Is that correct, can you only shoot silver with daylight lamps? Or can I use my normal flash lighting?

Appreciate the help and any tips.

Thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
3 Mar 2012 7:18AM
normal lights are fine, it's all about placement. Read up on controlling specular highlights, and you should be fine. A light tent is the lazy way, in that you don't have to think too hard, but there are plenty of other ways. Check out jewellery websites for ideas.
whipspeed e2
10 4.1k 22 United Kingdom
3 Mar 2012 7:32AM
Not sure I'd describe the light tent as a lazy way of not having to think Smile What it does do is stop unwanted reflections if your are shooting for a catalogue or website or magazine. You can still arrange the lighting where you want to around it.
All very high end, but for inspiration, look here or here
BigRick 9 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
3 Mar 2012 8:58AM
not forgetting that you want SOME reflections in the items otherwise they will just be flat and boring.Smile
whipspeed e2
10 4.1k 22 United Kingdom
3 Mar 2012 9:27AM
Yes, just need to control where they come from Smile Bits of black or grey card in the light tent can help as well. I found that when shooting jewellery, pearls could be the worst as you get the same reflection in each one. Jeweller wanted to watch with light tent open at front, whilst I shot one necklace. He left when he saw his reflected shape in each one Smile But then I didn't have the luxury of a studio for the shoots, I had to shoot on the premises in a dingy store room/kitchen.
rhowbust 4 13 United Kingdom
4 Mar 2012 2:57PM
Thanks for your tips everyone.
Glad I don't need to go out a buy more kit! I'll put some practise in before the shoot.
Cheers.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.