Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lightroom: where is the history?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    thatmanbrian
    12 Jan 2012 - 7:36 PM

I have installed the new Beta for Lightroom 4. It is unable to use or import from the existing LR3 catalog so I've had to create a new one.

I find that, as I've previously commented on forums, although the most recent adjustments have been applied, I've lost the history of adjustments and also attributes such as flags and ratings.

No one seems to understand what I mean but I can't explain it any more clearly!

I would like to find a way to restore the history or record of adjustments for each image. They must be saved somewhere as LR3 had them. Could anyone advise please?

Here is the history I'm referring to:

history.jpg

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Jan 2012 - 7:36 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 63723 forum postsNick_w vcard England98 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jan 2012 - 7:58 PM

You won't be able to do it until the proper version is launched. You should then be able to import catalogues etc ( that includes flags, history etc)

Betas are designed for evaluation not to replace the existing version.

I haven't had chance to download yet - can you use existing presets ( would be good so you can do a quick side by side comparison).

cameracat
    cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jan 2012 - 8:01 PM

Quote: It is unable to use or import from the existing LR3

I think you may have answered your own question here.....!!!

Might just be a " Beta " thing, One of the reasons I stopped being an unpaid software tester for many companies, Heck! You don't even get a discounted copy of the PR version....Sad

thatmanbrian
    12 Jan 2012 - 8:07 PM

No it's not a beta thing. I've had the same issue when reinstalling LR3 and importing from a saved catalog to a new one. The adjustment history is always lost. I posted about this on several forums at the time but no one appeared to grasp what I meant hence my image to clarify!

Presets and all my settings and configuration was imported into LR4 OK.

Knickeronian
    12 Jan 2012 - 8:16 PM

It is a Beta thing. You have to form new catalogs and histories in the Beta vesion. It would make absolutely no sense for the beta to take over from your LR3 as you would then be snookered if you did not upgrade. It was exactly the same with the previous Beta.

Don't ry to use LR4 Beta as your serious worktool. It is purely for experimental evaluation and bug reporting.

If you do decide to upgrade in March, then LR4 will take over seamlessly from LR3.

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 63723 forum postsNick_w vcard England98 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jan 2012 - 8:16 PM

Tbh Brian I've never used the history function ( other than basic undo) I tend to work on a copy if I'm trying something, it's easy then to see them side by side. I just assumed it would be same as catalogue, but I guess the info is kept in a different location for each version.

Thanks for answer on presets.

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96104 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jan 2012 - 8:27 PM

Quote: Presets and all my settings and configuration was imported into LR4 OK.

Presumably those presets were based on LR 3 ?

In which case you are likely to see a difference in effect of those presets as the Process Version has been updated to 2012 from 2010.

thatmanbrian
    12 Jan 2012 - 8:50 PM

LR will ask if you want to update the process for each image won't it?

Re the history problem, that's sorted. It seems that whilst the develop history panel doesn't list all the steps I'd taken previously, the adjustment tools do remember and are set accordingly. Thus if I thought I'd over-sharped an image, I could adjust the sharpen slider still and retrieve the situation. This still means you can't step back to an even earlier sharpening adjustment as you can in the CS5 history but isn't the problem I thought it would be.

McBrian
    McBrian  9101 forum posts Scotland
    12 Jan 2012 - 10:37 PM

It pains me to say it but there is a nice little write up on LR4 Beta over on the site that used to be British.

(mods please delete if I've broke the rulesSad

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96104 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jan 2012 - 10:57 PM

Quote: LR will ask if you want to update the process for each image won't it?

Correct, but my understanding is that it will not update the presets.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.