Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Lightroom 3

7 Feb 2013 5:16PM
My main computer - her upstairs - is an iMac on which I have downloaded and installed Lightroom 3. As you know I have just won the rather fine Dell laptop in o competition on here and intend making it my "photo" computer. With that in mind, anyone know if I can "transfer" the LR onto it from the Mac or has anyone got LR for sale? I'm just going to look in the "classifieds".

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
7 Feb 2013 5:35PM
I believe Dell Computers use the Microsoft Operating System so you will not be able to use the Mac ( using Apple's Operating System ) version of LR on the Dell.
mlewis 10 1.5k United Kingdom
7 Feb 2013 7:09PM
Your licence for Lightroom is valid for Windows and Apple computers. Download the Windows version of Lightroom and put in your licence key and you are all set. All you need to do then is copy the catalogue and images from the Mac to your new computer.
7 Feb 2013 7:50PM
Many thanks mlewis - that's just what I needed!
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
7 Feb 2013 9:40PM
Can you use the same licence on two machines?
Hugo 9 647 United Kingdom
7 Feb 2013 11:16PM
On Windows - yes the key will work on more than one machine - so I have it on my desktop and laptop too. Lightroom 4 is there same there is no 'activation ' just based upon you entering the key and trust, unlike say Photoshop where there is an 'activation' system that knows what you have where. Since there is only one of me, and thus I can never use the desktop and laptop at the same time, two installs from one key seems fair.
mlewis 10 1.5k United Kingdom
7 Feb 2013 11:37PM

Quote:Can you use the same licence on two machines?

Yes, as long as both aren't used at the same time.
8 Feb 2013 7:43AM
So will I have to uninstall from the Mac before I can install on the new Windows? Can't see how the "key" knows it's unlocking??
Philh04 9 57
8 Feb 2013 8:03AM
Adobes licence is for two machines so you should not have to uninstall, you may have to get in touch with Adobe as I believe the serials for Mac and Windows is different....
8 Feb 2013 9:36AM
OK, just had a good rummage around and have found my original LR CD so theoretically I can now install it on my new (won on here) Dell Laptop! Grin

Thanks for the help gents (ladies?).

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.