Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lightroom 3 crawling along (Windows 7)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

jimthistle73
31 May 2011 - 2:50 PM

As the title really.... For some reason, my 64 bit copy of LR3 has started crawling along - newish computer with plenty free disc space and decent amount of RAM. It's been a gradual decline - I used to be able to pour in a wedding's worth of raw files and work away - the computer always kept up. Now I often find I have to wait for up to 30 seconds for the next image preview to appear. It's very frustrating and is killihng my workflow.

In PS, I can set the amount of disc space I want the program to use - can I do something similar in LR? Can't see it under Edit - Preferences....

Any advice gratefully taken on board!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 May 2011 - 2:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
31 May 2011 - 2:55 PM

Presumably you've run anti-virus and anti-malware software to check all is well?

Then do a disk cleanup and then a defrag - I have found the Auslogics defrag works better than built-in versions.

jimthistle73
31 May 2011 - 2:58 PM

Yup - done the basic stuff and got the all clear. HP Diagnostics ran itself this morning too and gave all the hardware a clean bill of health. I had also wondered about dedicating an external HD to LR but understand it's likely to kill the HD - is that right?

Andy_Cundell
31 May 2011 - 3:02 PM

Sounds like a RAM problem to me. You may have a decent amount but what programs are running in the background?

Hit start=>run and type msconfig.

Click the startup tab.

Check here to see how many programs are eating up your RAM. You can unclick loads and free up RAM/ Processor usage. If you post the list on here, I will have a gander and see if thats the problem!

Andy

jimthistle73
31 May 2011 - 3:11 PM

Cheers Andy - there were a few unnecessary bits and pieces in there - I recently re-installed my old scanner and all the bloatware was ticked in the startup menu so got rid of all that.... Other than that, there are four Intel progs running, Microsoft Security Essentials, my Spyder callibration software and Adobe SBSV (don't know what this is, but I do have LR open...).

Andy_Cundell
31 May 2011 - 3:27 PM

Hiya Jim

You could unclick the Adobe SBSV and see if it helps any, it's a program used within Adobe suites that makes adobe software boot up quicker. If you use Adobe programs everytime you boot up the computer, you may see a slight difference, try it and see!

It is also worth going to your "add/ remove programs" and deleting all the old programs you no longer use, especially if there are 3 or 4 versions of say Java.

Andy

jimthistle73
31 May 2011 - 3:32 PM

Oh - can I uninstall old versions of software? Didn't know that, so thanks for the tip! It's not too bad on this machine but the laptop will certainly benefit from that. I'll also try unclicking SBSV - thanks!

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73818 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
31 May 2011 - 4:08 PM

Have you optimised the catalogue recently? Also are the RAWs all on one HD?

Have you defraged the drive recently ( that can make a massive difference). Other things that can slow it down is applying a lot of preset settings on upload.

jimthistle73
31 May 2011 - 4:32 PM

Quote: Have you optimised the catalogue recently?

No! How do I do that? There are very few RAW files on the HD - I tend to back them up onto two external drives and burn to DVD too. Once I've worked on the files, they get exported and when I'm completely sure I have RAW and JPEG backup in three separate places, I delete the files from the HD.

Import preset is just 'General - Zeroed'. It's importing th files no problem, just very slow at loading the next file and generating previews. And yes, disc was defragged last week....

Thanks for the help guys - much appreciated!

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014017 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
31 May 2011 - 4:55 PM

Quote: Have you optimised the catalogue recently? No! How do I do that?

File>Optimize Catalog. Or you can set in preferences for it to do it as part of the regular backups.

It is well worth setting render standard size previews on import as it can save a lot of waiting as you move between shots.

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 31 May 2011 - 5:04 PM
jimthistle73
31 May 2011 - 5:20 PM

Grand - cheers for that!

BigRick
BigRick  82085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
31 May 2011 - 6:03 PM

does it do it when viewing files from just one hard drive? long shot but maybe your drive is running slow, and its taking longer to read from it?

jimthistle73
31 May 2011 - 6:45 PM

I only use the one internal HD. It's a fairly new machine and there's not a lot on the drive, so I wouldn't have thought that'd be the problem... As above ^^ it imports everything nice and fast and creates all the thumbnails in a flash. It's just when I start developing the files that I have problems - I get the little rotating 'Loading' circle and sometimes it stops responding for far longer than it used to. All very odd.

Having said that, all the tips seem to be making a difference, so maybe after a re-boot, it'll be quicker!

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014017 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
31 May 2011 - 7:19 PM

Quote: I get the little rotating 'Loading' circle and sometimes it stops responding for far longer than it used to.

Are you generating full-size previews? That should speed things up a lot.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
31 May 2011 - 8:26 PM

You could try clearing or purging the LR3 " Cache " , If you have never done this its probably reached the maximum you allowed it to have in " Preferances ".

Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.