Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lightroom 3 with PS CS3/4

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Dave_Canon
    19 Mar 2011 - 4:47 PM

I recently upgraded from LR2 to LR3 as I was particularly interested in using the lens correction profiles as well as the manual horizontal and vertical perspective correction. I have no plans to upgrade my PS CS4 to CS5 but I have discovered that there is a problem. When files are rendered for editing in PS, normally ACR in that version of PS is used. Unfortunately even the most recent version of ACR for CS4 (V5.7) cannot render lens correction etc. In fact V5.6 and earlier cannot handle a number of other technical improvement in LR3. This is not well advertised and I would have liked to have been aware of this before I purchased LR3.

After internet searches, I have discovered that it is important to ensure when opening a file in PS, you invoke the mismatch warning. A warning that tells you that you do not have ACR V6.1 so would you like to render using LR3. The answer is yes let LR3 render the image then all of the extras will be applied. The problems is, LR3 does not always trigger the warning.

A fix has been suggested. In the Preferences>External Editing, you can select a different secondary editor. One individual recommended setting a copy of CS4 (but renamed) which always forces the warning. I have set the secondary editor to CS4 without renaming and have reset all warnings and now seem to trigger the warning thus allowing me to render using LR3.

If you are using LR with an earlier version of PS than CS5, you should consider whether this is affecting you.

Dave

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    19 Mar 2011 - 4:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Dave_Canon
    17 Apr 2011 - 10:29 AM

Chris, I have not directly compared them but was aware that DPP is very good. When I first bought my Canon 5D2, I had to use DPP as I could no longer process the Raw files on my earlier version of Photoshop. A few weeks later I bought a package of Adobe Software including PS CS4 and LR2 so could revert to using Adobe again. Whilst I did not carry our detail comparisons, I was left with the impression that DPP had the advantage as far as quality was concerned and that included the lens correction. However, using DPP is a severe disruption to workflow when your workflow is based on Lightroom. I took the view that for some challenging shots (e.g. shots which showed significant Chromatic Aberration or very high ISO shot), I would use DPP exceptionally for such cases. In practice over the last two years, I very rarely did this as I could cope with Adobe Raw. Once I heard about the new lens correction in Lightroom 3, I assumed that it would be necessary to create bespoke profiles (not sure if you can do that with DPP) and dowloaded the Adobe software to do this. I found that I would need to take hundreds of test shots for each lens to create a profile though it is well automated from that point. My initial evaluation of the lens correction of my Canon lenses using the pre-installed profiles suggested that this was very good and I was not convinced that it was worth the effort to create bespoke profiles though I have not entirely rules this out if I have a lot of spare time.

So in summary, I have not carried out a pratical comparision between DPP and LR3 but did have the impression that DPP does a very good job.

Dave

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.