Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lightroom 4.1 just released

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122228 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
30 May 2012 - 6:47 AM

Details here

I'm just downloading it now. Since upgrading my system the slowness problem has gone away and I'm very happy, but I know a lot of people are still having serious problems. It will be interesting to see if they have managed to sort it.

Malcolm

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 May 2012 - 6:47 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
30 May 2012 - 7:29 AM

thanks for letting us know, all downloaded safely on my machine (plus the ACR 7.1 download that's also available)

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104009 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
30 May 2012 - 7:36 AM

thanks...have been triallling it, and have been impressed...can I now afford the 106???? SmileSmile

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53574 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
30 May 2012 - 9:43 AM

What might it give you that you need?
I can't yet see much of interest apart from maybe
"Point Curve adjustments made in Lightroom 3 have been restored."

What's in the upgrade for you?

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122228 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
30 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

If you haven't had the problems that many have had with regards to LR4 being virtually unusable, this probably won't make much difference to you. However, if they have solved those problems then there will be a lot of happy people. My upgrade in hardware resolved the issues for me but there are many who have even more powerful systems than I, many of them pros, who haven't been able to use this version. We shall see.

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
30 May 2012 - 10:07 AM

Thanks for the link. I have to say I have not had a single problem with LR4 but I do like to keep my versions up to date.

mikehit
mikehit  56289 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
30 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

What upgrade did you make, Gaucho?

JJGEE
JJGEE  96276 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
30 May 2012 - 10:18 AM

Quote: What's in the upgrade for you?

It does not cost anything ! !

Could also be useful for those that need new cameras / lenses support, do HDR stuff but for me it is the improvements in the controls for colour fringing / chromatic aberration.

User_Removed
30 May 2012 - 10:18 AM

I have been using v4.1 RC since it was released a few months ago and have had no problems with it. I wonder if there are any further developments since the RC version?

Just turned on Lightroom and got the upgrade invitation that says:

The ability to process HDR TIFF files. (16, 24 or 32-bit TIFF files)
Additional Color Fringing corrections to help address chromatic aberration.
Save photobooks created in the Book Module to JPEG
Publishing photos to Adobe Revel is now accessible via a Publish plugin
Additional camera support for several new cameras including the Canon EOS 5D Mark III, Fujifilm X-Pro1, Nikon D800, and Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Corrections for issues introduced in previous versions of Lightroom.
Current version : 4.1 Beta 6 (build 820174)

..but some of those (e.g. support for my D800 files) was already built in the the RC version

JJGEE
JJGEE  96276 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
30 May 2012 - 10:25 AM

Depends which RC version you had.

LR 4.1 RC 2 added the new colour fringe controls.... see my link above Wink

since RC 2 they appear to have improved the responsiveness ( speed ) and correct a small issue with the clarity slider ( greying out some whites in certain circumstances ) plus possibly a few other bits & pieces as well.

Also probably better to upgrade to the formally released 4.1 from whichever RC version you had.

Last Modified By JJGEE at 30 May 2012 - 10:25 AM
Gaucho
30 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

@ mikehit

I was running Win 32 with 2 core. Now have Win 64, Intel i5, overclocked, 8 Gb of RAM and 2x 1 Tb internal drives. Huge difference Smile

mikehit
mikehit  56289 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
30 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

Thanks. My setup is Win64, Intel 5, not overclocked, 6GB RAM and 1x1.5 TB drive. Not so far then which is good news because the reports of slow speed are the main reason I have not moved to LR4.

Gaucho
30 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

Your best bet is to try it first. If it runs okay then go for it as I'm sure you won't regret it. From what I can see so far on other sites, those who have tried the upgrade are a lot happier.

lemmy
lemmy  71807 forum posts United Kingdom
30 May 2012 - 3:30 PM

For some bizarre reason my copy of LR4 was running very very slowly. Then it came up with a dialog box about spotting an anomaly in the catalog or something, closed itself down. When I restarted it, it had sped up without any intervention from me. At that point it was running at about the same speed as 3.6 had.

I've just installed the just released 4.1 and it seems a teeny bit faster than before. I have 2 machines, one a four year old 3ghz core duo with 1tb USB3 disk. It runs great on that, instant updates on monitor 2 and reactions to Develop sliders etc. I have an i5 bought a couple of months ago which I have installed in my French place - it should run well on that, too.

Many people advised me to upgrade my hardware on the core duo, but since it ran demanding video editing software quickly, there was no reason it wouldn't run LR4 quickly. I'm glad I didn't upgrade now - the problem was Lightroom, not the hardware.

Daffy1
Daffy1  6336 forum posts Ireland
30 May 2012 - 4:34 PM

I can use my Silver Efex again Grin Happy days. Damian

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.