Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lightroom 4.1 just released

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53672 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
30 May 2012 - 5:58 PM

You just made me think - niksoftware can be used on Canon raw files i assume Smile
I'd always guess it was just for Nikon so ignored it.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 May 2012 - 5:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
30 May 2012 - 8:52 PM

Quote: You just made me think - niksoftware can be used on Canon raw files i assume Smile
I'd always guess it was just for Nikon so ignored it.

Smile

User_Removed
30 May 2012 - 8:56 PM

Quote: Thanks. My setup is Win64, Intel 5, not overclocked, 6GB RAM and 1x1.5 TB drive. Not so far then which is good news because the reports of slow speed are the main reason I have not moved to LR4.

The reports of slow performance were grossly over-exaggerated by a few hundred users who had antiquated or overloaded PCs. I never actually met anyone who found the original LR4 slow. Notwithstanding, of course, that any improvements in 4.1 are to be welcomed in the cause of continual development.

User_Removed
30 May 2012 - 8:57 PM

Quote: Depends which RC version you had.

LR 4.1 RC 2 added the new colour fringe controls.... see my link above Wink

since RC 2 they appear to have improved the responsiveness ( speed ) and correct a small issue with the clarity slider ( greying out some whites in certain circumstances ) plus possibly a few other bits & pieces as well.

Also probably better to upgrade to the formally released 4.1 from whichever RC version you had.

It was the one officially labelled as "Beta 6"

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122310 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
30 May 2012 - 10:05 PM

LeftForum you were not following it as I was. There was a serious problem that caught the Lightroom team out and it was affecting an awful lot of people. It was also in the French photo press an forums.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318456 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
30 May 2012 - 10:10 PM

Did anyone download the 4.1 beta upgrade? I did and it all worked fine but now the fully functional upgrade of 4.1 won't install. Anyone found this a problem? Or have a suggested fix?
I've downloads and when I click run it comes up with an error and suggest I download another copy. I tried that and it's just the same. A Google search finds a few old threads with a similar problem from a 2008 release but with no answers.

Railcam
Railcam  8480 forum posts Scotland
30 May 2012 - 10:25 PM

I did not instal any 4.1RCs but today I have dowloaded 4.1, run it and installed it. It all went smoothly and runs as sweet as 4.0 did.

The "run download" unpacks all the files ready for installation so it sounds as though your download has a bug or whatever "unpacks" it is the problem.

I am happy that I can again Edit in Serif PhotoPlus or Nik Viveza2.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122310 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
30 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

I downloaded onto LR RC2 without a problem.

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 102983 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
31 May 2012 - 9:59 AM

No problem here

Dave_Canon
31 May 2012 - 10:23 AM

I was one of those having a couple of problems with LR4 though it was usable. I am sure the fact I have a 32 bit machine, only 3 Gbyte of RAM and 90% full HDD does not help. I do plan to replace my PC in the next few months. Since installing LR 4.1 the slow response to the brush tool now seems fine. LR4.0 also refuses to render a few files but I have yet to determine if this issue has gone away.

Dave

lemmy
lemmy  71941 forum posts United Kingdom
31 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

Quote: I am sure the fact I have a 32 bit machine, only 3 Gbyte of RAM and 90% full HDD does not help.

It may not but I genuinely don't think that that is the root of the problem. As I said, my copy went from near unusable sluggishness to decent performance all on its own with LR4.

LR 4.1 runs at much the same speed for me so I am happy enough. Nothing should take away from what a great piece of software this is. I have Photoshop but not being an inveterate twiddler with my pix, Lightroom does everything I need in one program. I occasionally export to Photoshop but hardly at all these days.

Not to say that others don't need Photoshop, of course.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96340 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
31 May 2012 - 3:53 PM

Quote: but now the fully functional upgrade of 4.1 won't install. Anyone found this a problem?

Possibly, see here on the Adobe Lightroom Forum

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318456 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
31 May 2012 - 6:20 PM

Thanks yes I saw that yesterday, a revisit saw some additional responses though, so thanks And it encouraged me to retry and crack the issue. The answer was to uninstall the 4.1 Beta and reinstall the 4.0 version from disc, and then the upgrade worked.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104030 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
31 May 2012 - 7:09 PM

has anyone found it (LR4) cheaper than 103? (less cashback, of course).

will probably buy direct from Adobe..but is there a better route (if not cheaper)?

JJGEE
JJGEE  96340 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
31 May 2012 - 7:36 PM

The c 103 price is for the boxed version..... the Download is c 106 but for the extra 3 you will be up and running in about 15 minutes after ordering Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.