Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Lightroom 4.2 help

gary.d e2
12 134 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2012 12:03PM
I'm a LR4 newbie so just starting to get to grips with it.

I'm in the process of importing folders from a catalog on an almost full external hard drive to a new catalog on another external hard drive. It's largely gone okay but there is one folder containing 6,000 images where the keywords have been 'lost'. Naturally I don't want to have do them all again so any advice on how to restore them is appreciated.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2012 12:05PM
How did you put the keywords on the files in the first place?
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2012 12:10PM
I don't know if this is what you have done but I would just backup the catalogue to the second external disc.
gary.d e2
12 134 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2012 12:12PM
I added the keywords via the keyword panel at the time the pictures were imported from the card, in much the same way as I have done for the past ten years.

What's curious is that the first eight images of the folder in question have keywords but the rest of the 6,100+ images don't. The source folder has all the keywords in place. I have imported dozens of other folders using the same method and it's worked fine so this one has me stumped.
lobsterboy e2
11 Oct 2012 12:34PM

Quote:I'm in the process of importing folders from a catalog on an almost full external hard drive to a new catalog on another external hard drive. It's largely gone okay but there is one folder containing 6,000 images where the keywords have been 'lost'.

Are you using "import from another catalog" ? because that should bring everything across.

You can try opening the old catalog and selecting all the images & saving the metadata to the files (ctrl a & ctrrl s). Right clicking the folder then synchronise and letting it update metadata.

Are they a different file format to the ones that have keywords?

If the files actually have keywords stored with them then there should usually be a sidecar .XMP with them. You could open that in Notepad and it should show the keywords somewhere inside.

Can you see the keywords in another product like photoshop or explorer ?
gary.d e2
12 134 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2012 12:39PM
I re-imported and the same problem seemed to be there until I moved the mouse over the thumbnails in the grid view and the keywords suddenly appeared! Didn't work on every image though...
gary.d e2
12 134 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2012 12:54PM
Lobsterboy,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm using the import button at the bottom of the left panel in library mode. There would appear to be some corrupted files going on here. The ones that have not come over with the keywords have all been given a '-2' extension to their file names so something is not right.
lobsterboy e2
11 Oct 2012 1:11PM
Hmmm,
Sounds like you might have copy to a new location selected when you do the import.

I don't think you need to use import anyway -Can I ask what it is you are trying to achieve:
Is it to just move the catalog to another drive? or do you want to move the files as well ?

If you want to move the catalog you just drag it to a new drive.
If you want to move the files to a new folder you can just drag them in the folder section of Lr (or move them in explorer & use find folder in LR)
If you are spliting or joining a catalog you can use file>import from catalog
CTee e2
8 89 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2012 2:11PM
Hi
You can also export and import Keywords, need to be in the Library module and look at the Metadata Menu.
lobsterboy e2
11 Oct 2012 2:24PM

Quote:Hi
You can also export and import Keywords, need to be in the Library module and look at the Metadata Menu.

Doesn't that just import a list of keywords used from another catalogue? It doesn't actually apply them to the pictures does it ?
gary.d e2
12 134 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2012 3:50PM
To help clarify my predicament here's a summary! The hard drive on which I keep all my images is close to becoming full. Most of the images on this drive are managed by LR 4.2 in the original catalog. I have recently acquired a separate larger capacity drive and intend for this to become the main storage for my images, however, not all of of them but only those I wish to mange in LR. Hence I have created a new catalog on the new drive for them.

I have imported the folders I wish to have managed by LR one by one into the new catalog on the new drive. I have opted for the 'copy' function as a precaution against losing images during the transfer. It has largely gone okay, except for one folder in particular where around half the 6,000 images have all 'lost' their keywords. As far as I can see, I cannot delete the folder entirely to try again, but only remove it. That's way too much keywording to have to redo hence my request for advice from more experienced users.
lobsterboy e2
11 Oct 2012 4:05PM
Well here is how I would do it based on my experience of using two catalogs all the time.

Clear the new hard drive using explorer.
Create a new Catalog on the new drive.
Use import from catalog, select the old catalog and then all the folders you wish to move.
Once they have finished importing,
In the folder panel copy the folders you want to move and paste them into the new drive.

It sounds as though LR has not written the keywords back to the files, which is its default behaviour. you can either write the data into the files from your old LR catalog or just import from the catalog which is more reliable and keeps collections.
digicammad e2
11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2012 4:07PM
Have you tried exporting the problem folder, from the original catalogue, as a catalogue, then importing that into the backup?

When I want to backup new and changed images from my internal drive to my external backup, I open up the LR catalogue on the external drive and tell it to import the catalogue from the internal drive, ignoring duplicates. That works perfectly for me and brings across all tags, etc.

HTH

Ian
lobsterboy e2
11 Oct 2012 4:32PM

Quote:Have you tried exporting the problem folder, from the original catalogue, as a catalogue, then importing that into the backup?

I used to do that but you can just "import from catalog" from the original and check the folders that you want. Saves a step.
Doing either should just solve Gary's keywording problem if he does it before he moves the files - not sure they would sync up now they have been moved, or would they ?
digicammad e2
11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2012 4:34PM
Not sure. If you move a folder you can point LR at the new location but if you import a moved folder I think you will end up with 2 instances in your catalogue, you could always remove the old one though.

Thanks for the tip about selecting specific folders. That should speed up my import to the backup as at the moment it is reviewing all my old stuff each time. Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.