Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Lightroom 4.2 help

lobsterboy e2
11 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2012 4:38PM
LOl it took me about 2 years to work out there was a quicker way!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
11 Oct 2012 5:44PM

Quote:I open up the LR catalogue on the external drive and tell it to import the catalogue from the internal drive, ignoring duplicates

I may have mis-interpreted what you have said

But why are you doing this as I think the easiest and best way is just to copy the catalogue file to your back-up drive.

In fact, I have all my images AND Lightroom catalogue in one folder and just copy the whole folder when backing up.... then at a point in time everything is together.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2012 5:46PM
I agree. Back up the catalogue to your new drive and delete the folders you don't want on there.
gary.d 12 134 United Kingdom
12 Oct 2012 8:10AM
Right! That's what I'll try next as the importing catalog didn't do the trick!
gary.d 12 134 United Kingdom
12 Oct 2012 9:00AM
Well here's something odd. Using the original LR catalog all the images have the keyword symbol and display keywords when selected. However, neither the new LR catalog, Nikon View NX or Photo Mechanic reckons they are keyworded. I'm thinking that the various ways I've been trying to create new catalogs, etc have been correct but somehow the keywords written to a number of subfolders have not worked.

When I edit with PS5 from LR4 it takes about 45 seconds to open an image but the keywords are in the file info. BTW, why so slow? I'm using a very fast iMac with 16 GB RAM and the external hard drives are FW800 and Thunderbolt connections.
lobsterboy e2
11 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
12 Oct 2012 9:16AM

Quote:Well here's something odd. Using the original LR catalog all the images have the keyword symbol and display keywords when selected. However, neither the new LR catalog, Nikon View NX or Photo Mechanic reckons they are keyworded. I'm thinking that the various ways I've been trying to create new catalogs, etc have been correct but somehow the keywords written to a number of subfolders have not worked.

Ok. To understand this. You kind of have to understand the way LR stores metadata/keywords. For speed if you add keywords in LR they are simply stored in the catalog and not written back to the file. this is because the catalog is a database this is much quicker than updating every file.

To get the keywords written back to the files you need to select them and use the Save Metadata option: Select Metadata > Save Metadata to File (Cmd+ S)
So in the catalog that has the keywords, select all the files and do Save metadata. On the new catalog you should be able to click on the folder & choose syncronise and it should all update.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
12 Oct 2012 9:22AM
I am pretty dumb with computers and need to think in terms of the physical world...So what you are doing is copying the keywords to the file itself, then in synchronising you are getting the new catalogue to pick up those keywords from the pictures and store them.
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
12 Oct 2012 9:49AM
As has already been mentioned LR keeps everything in it's catalogue BUT if you want to " Save Metadata" ( there are good reasons for doing this if you are paranoid about catalogue corruption, etc. etc. ) I have done some screenshots which hopefully will explain this a little ! !

The menu item for saving metadata ( keywords etc. )

menu.jpg

On Saving " S" an explanation of what you are doing.

save.jpg

As my original is in RAW format LR has created an XMP sidecar file and placed it next to the RAW file in my folder where the RAW files are kept.

xmp.jpg

14 Oct 2012 11:33AM
You lose a lot of settings (collections, export settings, history, etc.) when you import images. I'd be inclined to move the whole lot (catalog and images) to the new disk and then move/delete the bits you don't want.

if you do this though, disconnect the original disk to ensure that you are working on the moved copy and not the original.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.