Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Lightroom 4.3

GazzaG2003 e2
11 252 England
20 Feb 2013 3:12PM
Hi, Im new to lightroom I normally process with PS CS6. if I sharpen an image in lightroom and then export the image and select sharpen for screen in the dialogue box will lightroom ignore the sharpening i have already done or add extra sharpening to the image.

thank you

Gary

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
20 Feb 2013 3:22PM
Do you mean "will lightroom ignore the sharpening " or "will CS6 ignore the sharpening"?

Also, are you talking about exporting to JPEG or exporting as TIFF?
JJGEE
10 6.4k 18 England
20 Feb 2013 3:22PM

Quote:will lightroom ignore the sharpening i have already done

No

Quote:or add extra sharpening to the image.

Yes.
It also takes into account the size you have specified in the export dialogue box
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
20 Feb 2013 3:27PM
Ah...was reference to CS6 a (unintended) red herring?
If so, I agree with JJGEE: you will get 2 lots of sharpening.
GazzaG2003 e2
11 252 England
20 Feb 2013 4:37PM
Thank you very much for the simple explanation I appreciate it, is the general consensus not to sharpen in lightroom and to use just the export dialogue (I only really use images for online viewing)
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
20 Feb 2013 4:56PM
I would say do your sharpening in LR and see if you need more during export - you will then have your 'on screen quality' image and from there you can have different export settings for FB, email, EPZ etc depending on what the site engine does to the image. One useful feature of LR is you can create 'virtual copies': one soft focus, one B&W etc and each may need different levels of sharpening
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
20 Feb 2013 5:37PM
Obviously you can journey through Lightroom without sharpening at all if it's your wish (better stay away from the clarity slider in that caseSmile). Lightroom accommodates a 3-stage sharpening workflow for those that find need for it: capture sharpening, creative sharpening, and output sharpening. The middle of the three most commonly refers to localised sharpening, which is possible through the adjustment brush of course (although some might prefer using Photoshop layers).
GazzaG2003 e2
11 252 England
20 Feb 2013 5:56PM
Once again thank you very much, excellent info for me to explore Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.