Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Lightroom 4

crookymonsta e2
6 705 10 England
12 Jul 2012 1:57PM
Just bought Lightroom 4 and have a couple of questions.

I use a Nikon D7000 and shoot RAW + jpeg. When I go to open an image in Lightroom I can only see one of each image, so which is it actually opening?

Just opened one on which I have previously done a quick mod of the jpeg using PaintShopPro, only to find that in Lightroom it is cropped on both sides, which completely ruins the composition.

I own up to being a complete 'numpty' where any software is concerned, so hope someone can kindly put me right.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
12 Jul 2012 2:00PM

Quote:
I use a Nikon D7000 and shoot RAW + jpeg. When I go to open an image in Lightroom I can only see one of each image, so which is it actually opening?

The Raws - more info .
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
12 Jul 2012 2:23PM

Quote:Just opened one on which I have previously done a quick mod of the jpeg using PaintShopPro, only to find that in Lightroom it is cropped on both sides,

I'm a bit ocnfused by this - you say you have done work on the jpeg in PSP yet the image in Lightroom is cropped? That sounds strange because the RAW should be untouched and you say that you can only see RAW files in LR. Are you sure you are not looking at the RAW 'zoomed in'? If you go to the Library module and click on the picture, look at the small version top left - if you are zoomed in the picture will have a blue rectangle on it showing the part of the image you can see on the main image.
Or go to the Develop module and press 'reset' button bottom right - this will undo any cropping done in LR.
If that does not work, go back into PSP and undo all edits because you may have cropped the RAW file there.
crookymonsta e2
6 705 10 England
12 Jul 2012 2:59PM
Thanks Mike, the reset button worked a treat - curious because this was how the image opened. I can see I have a lot to learn!
Gaucho e2
13 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
12 Jul 2012 3:03PM
You could do a lot worse than starting here
puertouk 3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
12 Jul 2012 3:06PM
Try and get some training videos on Lightroom 4. Maybe YouTube would be a good start
Stephen
cats_123 e2
10 4.3k 25 Northern Ireland
12 Jul 2012 4:05PM
Have a look at this online Lightroom book . Only 1.95

It covers all the basic controls...you can download kindle for pc free.

It's a great little piece of software...I'm having fun `improving' my shots.Smile
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
12 Jul 2012 4:09PM
Gaucho's link is to Julieanne Kost's video tutorials......... which as well as being free are an excellent way of learning the basics.
They probably do not cover everything but for paid tutorials you can do no worse than those from:

Luminous Landscape ( download, so you do not have to be connected to the internet to subsequently watch them )
George Jardine ( online like those from Julieann )
12 Jul 2012 7:18PM
Here's a reference which may clarify the issue for you. I simply googled it! Wink

RAW + JPGS
crookymonsta e2
6 705 10 England
13 Jul 2012 11:37AM
A big thank you to everyone for some great advice, much appreciated.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.