Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Lightroom 4 books

Gillygems 3 32 United Kingdom
16 Oct 2012 12:26PM
Can anybody recommend a good guide to Lightroom 4.2 i've not used Lightroom before but feel I need more contol over effects (contrast; shadows, b & w conversions etc) than Elements allows. Thanks for your help!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mlewis 10 1.5k United Kingdom
16 Oct 2012 12:30PM
I would recommend the Martin Evening one. Amazon link
or the Digital Negative by Jeff Schewe. Amazon link.

The Luminous Landscape video tutorials are good too.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
16 Oct 2012 12:32PM
I use Scott Kelby's book - some people don't like his attempts at humour but there you go...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Photoshop-Lightroom-Digital-Photographers-ebook/dp/B007ZQV47K/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350386958&sr=8-1-fkmr1

The other main one is martin Evening's books - I have one of his earleri books on RAW editing and it is much more 'factual' presentation.

These books take you step by step through the menus, but there are other books that come from the 'how do I do...' angle though I have not tried any of these for LR (I found some of the PSE ones really helpful).
16 Oct 2012 1:11PM
I'd add a second for Scott Kelby. I usually struggle with tutorial books, but with his its very straight forward, "do this and this will happen".
cats_123 e2
10 4.2k 25 Northern Ireland
16 Oct 2012 1:11PM
have a look at these video tutorials online too
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
16 Oct 2012 1:26PM
I know you have to pay, but the Luminous Landscape video tutorials are brilliant.

You download them and can therefore watch them over and over again "offline" so to speak, which I find better than those that are online and " streamed"

If you do decide to buy the LL videos, just let us know and I will suggest which one or two to to download first to help with the specific question you asked.
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
16 Oct 2012 9:40PM
Scott Kelby seems like a nice guy....Smile

His books are very readable, So like others I would suggest a look his way, Paperback version for LR4 is now on offer at Amazon for 16 quid plus post, A bargain in todays world.

Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.