Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Lightroom 4 now Released

JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
14 Mar 2012 3:10PM

Quote:
How are you all getting on in using LR 4 ?
Have you worked out the best workflow with the new Basic sliders ?

Split toning used twice now - on the last upload, just the highlights were given a blue tinge which i liked - it seemed to not affect the mid tones too much at all.

Also i almost always's now use correct for lens distortion and see images pop up a bit brighter at the edges with my 24-105mm lens on aps-c sensor.
I wish this was the first tick box before exposure. But i think you can turn it on by default during import - just no time yet to see how.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad e2
11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
14 Mar 2012 3:28PM

Quote:I accept your point, its just when multiple users experience the same problems that are often simple enough to have been eradicated in the first place.

One of the first things you learn when you start developing is that users are far better at breaking things than developers. That's partly because there are a lot more of them and partly because they don't know how they should be using the software. It isn't necessarily that they are using it incorrectly (though that is sometimes the case), just that they have a different workflow and certain sequences of events can find bugs when the same test with a different sequence doesn't.

When you consider how complex such software is it is no surprise that volume testing throws up issues and that is another reason software houses release early. Their developers and testers could spend thousands of hours on an application and not find a problem that gets picked up amongst the thousands of early adopters within a couple of days.
Zatoichi 5 707 United Kingdom
14 Mar 2012 3:34PM

Quote:They have almost certainly been through a rigorous testing process. But code is many 10,000 times more complicated than a bike frame and much more abstract.

Absolutely agree, the bike frame comment was to illustrate a principle Grin

Quote:One of the first things you learn when you start developing is that users are far better at breaking things than developers. That's partly because there are a lot more of them and partly because they don't know how they should be using the software. It isn't necessarily that they are using it incorrectly (though that is sometimes the case), just that they have a different workflow and certain sequences of events can find bugs when the same test with a different sequence doesn't.

When you consider how complex such software is it is no surprise that volume testing throws up issues and that is another reason software houses release early. Their developers and testers could spend thousands of hours on an application and not find a problem that gets picked up amongst the thousands of early adopters within a couple of days.

No argument here Grin
Gaucho e2
13 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
14 Mar 2012 3:49PM

Quote:Their developers and testers could spend thousands of hours on an application and not find a problem that gets picked up amongst the thousands of early adopters within a couple of days.

Except that in this case there were an awful lot of people complaining about the slowness of LR4 during the beta testing and all we would hear back is "Don't worry as this is a beta version the software has not been optimised yet. It'll be fine" Yeah, right!
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
14 Mar 2012 3:57PM
No speed problems on my machine with the latest version (win 7 64bit, I5 CPU and 6gig RAM)

I'm finding the revised sliders suit my workflow well now I'm used to them and like Jack, apply the lens correction as part of my standard processing.

I particularly like the way the new Clarity slider improves the right images (its not a "must use" but its pretty darned useful to have "under your finger" when needed)

So far I'm liking it although has anyone found that the "Paste Settings" button sometimes needs to be pressed twice to get it to apply the copied setting?
digicammad e2
14 Mar 2012 4:31PM
Is it possible to get the upgrade cheaper than 62?
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
14 Mar 2012 4:45PM

Quote:
Also i almost always's now use correct for lens distortion ....
I wish this was the first tick box before exposure. .

Certainly agree with that. It should be the very first step in the workflow.

Must say that' like Brian 1208, I am finding speed impressive - considerably faster than v3.61. That with i7 processor, 16 gigs of Ram and a fairly fast 2Tb hard disc.
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
14 Mar 2012 4:47PM

Quote:Is it possible to get the upgrade cheaper than 62?

Have a google for
"complimentary upgrade to Lightroom 4"
i think its free if you bought it in the last month or so...
digicammad e2
14 Mar 2012 4:50PM
Unfortunately I've had it for about 6 months
JJGEE
9 6.4k 18 England
14 Mar 2012 4:51PM

Quote:But i think you can turn it on by default during import - just no time yet to see how.

Got me on that one... I do not know as my lenses are not supported in the Camera / Lens profile list.

One way would be to create a user preset and apply that on import... but I guess that would only work if every shot being imported was with the same lens.

What I will be doing at some point is adding the new Chromatic Aberration correction in my "import" preset.
JJGEE
9 6.4k 18 England
14 Mar 2012 5:30PM
Stuart,
You should be able to do the lens correction automatically.

Please Note.
I do not have the camera / lens combination so it is showing as a "Custom" set up.

For you select "Auto" as the Setup and because your lens is in Adobe's database it will automatically get the lens details from the EXIF data.... no need even to select "Make", "Model", "Profile"

1-lenscorrection.jpg

Give it a try and see if it works ! !
Railcam e2
8 484 Scotland
14 Mar 2012 5:30PM

Quote:No speed problems on my machine with the latest version (win 7 64bit, I5 CPU and 6gig RAM

Quote:I am finding speed impressive - considerably faster than v3.61. That with i7 processor, 16 gigs of Ram and a fairly fast 2Tb hard disc.

This is good news. Most of the speed grumbles on the Adobe forum seem to be from Mac users. I have been holding off upgrading but perhaps I will go for it now (bugs and all)

It should be OK on my Win 7, 64 bit, i7 and 8GB of RAM and Sata 3 HDD.
Railcam e2
8 484 Scotland
15 Mar 2012 12:30PM
Just an update.

I downloaded and installed the upgrade to LR4 this morning.

It all went smoothly, all images rendered using the 2012 engine (hardly any change in appearance), all my Collections are intact and my personal preferences and settings brought over.

Most importantly, it it fast so I am a happy bunny.
Overread e2
6 3.9k 18 England
15 Mar 2012 12:53PM
Rail - out of interest what were you using to process your RAWs before?
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
15 Mar 2012 2:00PM

Quote:Stuart,
You should be able to do the lens correction automatically.
Give it a try and see if it works ! !

Thanks Jeff, i tried that and its all fine - its quite quick so i select all the images i've just imported - (or Starred) and move into the develop module - then apply en mass.
I then tried to see if i could add it to the preferences on import, but you can only add file name changes and tags etc.

Cheers
Stuart

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.