Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lightroom 4 problem with dual screens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    thatmanbrian
    9 Mar 2012 - 7:30 PM

I am having problems with my system which is dual monitor. LR4 seems to get confused and hangs if I leave it to edit in CS5 for example. It permanently disapears from the primary screen and I have to stop its process in Task Manager to get going again. Hard to tell if it's an LR bug or something peculiar to my system at this stage. Drivers and so on are the latest and a reinstall made no difference.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    9 Mar 2012 - 7:30 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    9 Mar 2012 - 10:11 PM

I am not having any problem with LR4 and dual monitors.

But I do have CS5 opening on what LR4 regards as the second monitor. That way all my Photoshop controls and palettes are on one monitor and my basic LR screen is on the other and I can compare whatever editing I do in Photoshop to the original LR image.

thatmanbrian
    9 Mar 2012 - 10:39 PM

That's a good plan actually. But LR ought to work properly as it did in the previous version.

User_Removed
    11 Mar 2012 - 4:27 PM

Quote: That's a good plan actually. But LR ought to work properly as it did in the previous version.

Well, as far as I can see, it does.

Maybe a problem with your kit or set-up, Brian?

Interestingly, with an i7 processor and 16Gb of RAM, I am finding that LR4 is considerably faster than LR3.6 but several users with only i5 and 4Gb, especially those on 32-bit systems, are reporting that LR4 is slower than LR3. So maybe resources are more critical.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 11 Mar 2012 - 4:27 PM
    mille19
    mille19  7 United Kingdom
    11 Mar 2012 - 5:10 PM

I'm having same problem, system hangs in develop mode when using dual screen.
    It worked OK on my system using LR3.6

thatmanbrian
    11 Mar 2012 - 8:35 PM

My system is perfect Leftforum!Wink No honestly, I've looked at everything on my setup and can't see why LR and only LR gets its knickers in a twist when using dual monitors.

I've noticed it isn't consistent so am trying to suss out what is different. I think it is having Photoshop open at the same time. But that is what I've done for years. Also see that LR4 wants RAW 7 installed when editing in CS5. Could that be the reason???? Don't even know if RAW 7 is available yet?

Jestertheclown
    11 Mar 2012 - 8:38 PM

Quote: especially those on 32-bit systems,

I didn't think it could be used on 32-bit systems?

thatmanbrian
    11 Mar 2012 - 8:45 PM

Checked and CR 7 not avail for CS5 yet although Adobe refer to it in respect of lens support for LR4. Due any week I reckon with quite a few extras it would seem, not just new camera profiles.

User_Removed
    12 Mar 2012 - 12:18 PM

Quote: Also see that LR4 wants RAW 7 installed when editing in CS5. Could that be the reason???? Don't even know if RAW 7 is available yet?

I get that as well and just click the "Render in Lightroom" button. Having LR4, PS CS5 and, say Color Efex Pro all open at the same time does not seem to cause any problems with dual monitors.

Sorry I can't suggest any other possible causes of your problem.

User_Removed
    12 Mar 2012 - 12:25 PM

...coming back on that one, Brian, maybe the suggestion that the problem is more common when you also have CS5 open does point to a resources problem.

Try this wee test.

Run CS4 in Develop mode, processing a large Raw file, without CS5 open or the second monitor in use.

When undertaking multiple LR functions, perhaps especially including something like applying half a dozen adjustments simultaneously with the brush tool, does LR4 perform noticeable faster or slower than LR3 did?

If noticeably faster, that suggests your resources can cope. If in any way slower, then that suggests that your computer is simply not going to be able to cope. If no noticeable difference in speed, that maybe suggests that resources are borderline and any additional load, whether from CS5 or anything else, will be beyond the machine.

thatmanbrian
    12 Mar 2012 - 1:09 PM

Tried that and LR4 works as expected. As you can see my system is well specced so resources shouldn't be a problem. Anyway, all was well just a month ago. To me it feels like Lightroom is the culprit so I'll do a total uninstall and reinstall again. Can't hurt. I'll also delete the old LR3 as I'll not be using it again now many of my new images are in the 2012 catalog.

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 16357 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 122102 MB, Free - 35966 MB; D: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 906088 MB; E: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 1160835 MB; F: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 1147697 MB; G: Total - 1907599 MB, Free - 899371 MB; H: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 289282 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P8P67 PRO
    Antivirus: Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

User_Removed
    12 Mar 2012 - 1:38 PM

I certainly can't see any deficiencies in that spec Brian.

The graphics card won't be serving any purpose for photographic processing. Do you, by any chance, have your monitors plugged into this card rather than to the video outputs on the motherboard? If so, might be worth trying doing without the graphics card.

thatmanbrian
    12 Mar 2012 - 5:16 PM

I'm using the 5700 for both monitors but can't think that all of a sudden it would be a problem. I do have a second graphics card available and might try that.

thatmanbrian
    12 Mar 2012 - 6:21 PM

Sorted???

I've uninstalled LR 3 and tested LR 4 which now appears to behaving itself with dual monitors and CS5 also running. Won't declare victory just yet but it's looking good. Thanks for the help.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.