Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lightroom 4 Upgrade Experiences

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

darranl
darranl  5318 forum posts England
11 Apr 2012 - 7:45 PM

Lightroom 4 has been out for a while now so I am just wondering are people finding it a worthwhile upgrade?

I have seen a couple of the tutorial videos and like the look of some of the enhancements but thinking are they enough to justify the upgrade. The new items such as the photo book support and map module don't seem as useful to me at the moment.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Apr 2012 - 7:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014778 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2012 - 7:51 PM

never really used V3

love V4

no idea what has changed - but whatever is there now is really good.

Railcam
Railcam  7466 forum posts Scotland
11 Apr 2012 - 8:20 PM

I upgraded from V3 to V4 and I am really enjoying it.

I did not think I would use the map feature but I now find it very useful. My camera does not record GPS co-ordinates but all I have to do is drag the images on to the map and the co-ordinates are added to the Exif file. Great fun because later you hover your mouse over the appropriate pin on the map and it shows thumbnails of the pictures you have taken there.

There again, some people say "small things amuse small minds" but I am too old to care. It's fun.

Phil_L
Phil_L  5 Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2012 - 8:22 PM

As a long term LR user I'd say the upgrade is well worth it. For me the photobook and map module are not the main attraction. The changes in the develope module in terms of fine tune editing are excellent.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014126 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2012 - 9:44 PM

Quote: As a long term LR user I'd say the upgrade is well worth it. For me the photobook and map module are not the main attraction. The changes in the develope module in terms of fine tune editing are excellent.

I'd agree with that, the results from develop seem to be much better on some images and now the controls make more sense!

julesm
julesm  101698 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2012 - 10:39 PM

Mine seems to be a lot slower than L3 especially when doing anything with selective adjustments?

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014778 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2012 - 10:43 PM

if you really layer up the selective adjustments it does start to grind a bit....

then again, I usually output to Photoshop if I'm getting "that" selective

CTee
CTee  768 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Apr 2012 - 10:49 PM

Download LR 4.1 Release Candidate and try it out, the process engine has changed therefore takes a bit of getting used to compared with LR3. You can have 4.1 on your PC and still maintain 3. You may find some preset will need tweaking if you update your images to use 2012 process. Don't delete your LR3 catalogues until you committed to and converted to LR4.

Seems to pull out some more detail on the auto settings than LR3 and the sliders when using 2012 process in LR4 have some greater range.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96283 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2012 - 11:17 PM

Yes at 60.57 definitely worth it.

I am still struggling to understand how all the new Basic controls affect an image as they are quite a bit different from LR 3 but there is a massive improvement in teasing out details in both highlights & shadows.

monstersnowman
11 Apr 2012 - 11:48 PM

Probably the best value software I have bought for 50 notes. I am running Vista on an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8ghz with 4 gb RAM and it works absolutely fine. It may be slightly slower but whether it is really that noticeable could be all in my mind as I was expecting it to chug along slowly and in reality it is absolutely fine. It seems to render detail from dark areas better than LR2 and produces nice crisp detail and deals with noise without losing much crisp detail very well. I am very pleased. I did have no choice to buy it or not though because I have an X100 which wasnt supported by my old version.

lemmy
lemmy  71812 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Apr 2012 - 10:20 AM

I've upgraded and find it a good improvement on LR3. Like many others, I do find it a bit slower but Adobe are working on it, apparently.

darranl
darranl  5318 forum posts England
12 Apr 2012 - 10:29 AM

Thanks for the comment everyone - I am think I am going to have to go ahead an upgrade Wink

I do have a couple of images with a couple of different light sources that I have never been able to sort out in the past - am definitely interested in the improvements to the adjustment brush and gradient tool to also selectively adjust white balance.

ade_mcfade
12 Apr 2012 - 10:59 AM

its free to trial - nothing to lose Smile

sitav
sitav  4
12 Apr 2012 - 12:04 PM

I upgraded from 2.7 to 4 mainly because at the moment it's cheap! The price will go up but the performance issues will also be fixed, it makes sense to my to buy it now before it reaches full price as Adobe will almost certainly release updates/fixes for free.
I also like the way it picks up custom presets and the preferences from previous versions, I have mine set (loosely) following guidelines from Kevin Kubota's excellent book "Digital Photography Boot Camp" which has some very useful LR info.

julesm
julesm  101698 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
12 Apr 2012 - 7:28 PM

My LR4 doesnt report a later version and says my 4.0 is uptodate?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.