Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lightroom 4 Upgrade Question

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    John_Frid
    John_Frid  8514 forum posts United Kingdom56 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Jun 2012 - 8:01 AM

I've just ordered the upgrade version of Lightroom 4. I already have LR3 installed on my main PC, so assume upgrading to LR 4 will be straightforward for that machine. However, I am also about to buy a new laptop and want to install LR4 on that machine as well. Firstly I assume that I can upload LR4 on two machines (as I could with LR3), but do I actually have to load LR3 on the new machine first, or can I just install the LR 4 upgrade disk? I am hoping that I just need to enter some form of key (probably the key for my LR3 version) to make it all work.

In addition to already having LR3 on my main computer, I also have it on an existing laptop. I have no need to load LR4 on the laptop that currently has LR3 on it, but do I need to uninstall it from the old laptop before trying to load LR4 (upgrade disk). Obviously If I need to load LR3 onto the new laptop first that answers the question as I can't have LR3 on 3 different computers at the same time.

Hope the question is clear and thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Jun 2012 - 8:01 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NickHaigh
    NickHaigh  2 United Kingdom
    14 Jun 2012 - 9:09 AM

As your Lightroom 4 is the upgrade then im afraid yes you will need to install lightroom 3 first. I have found that if you havent registerd lightroom with adobe you can install on many machines and you dont need to unistall lightroom 3 first, just insert lightroom 4 disc and it will do all the work for you.

Hope this helps.

Nick

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96340 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Jun 2012 - 9:32 AM

Quote: As your Lightroom 4 is the upgrade then im afraid yes you will need to install lightroom 3 first.

I do not believe that this is correct and unfortunately I cannot find the exact relevant details at the moment on Adobe's LR forums.

My understanding is when you download LR from Adobe, at whatever " formal" release ( i.e. not Release Candidate RC ) it is the "complete" package and on my system replaces the previous version. ( but I think it is possible to have both 3 & 4 installed at the same time... probably be confusing though ! )

Obviously you back up the previous version first just in case something unlikely goes wrong with the process Wink

Last Modified By JJGEE at 14 Jun 2012 - 9:35 AM
    cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Jun 2012 - 9:38 AM

Quote: As your Lightroom 4 is the upgrade then im afraid yes you will need to install lightroom 3 first

Not entirely correct.....Grin

All you need to do ( Even with an upgraded version ) is go ahead and install LR4 on your new machine.

When you get to the serial key part, You will enter the key that came with LR4.

Because its an upgrade version you will be asked to supply the key for your previous version ( LR3 ).....Smile

This appears just under the key entry for the LR4 code that you typed in.....Grin

Once you have entered the keys for both LR4 & LR3 as requested by the install process, Its job done and your home and dry.....Grin

Its not a great idea to have both LR3 and LR4 installed on the same machine, LR4 will take over and convert any previous LR3 catalogues etc, Even down to user preferances, This happens even when the previous version has been uninstalled......!!!

Obviously a straight LR4 install on a new machine will be simpler, No old guff to convert, Just the trudge of setting up your prefs etc.

Wink

John_Frid
    John_Frid  8514 forum posts United Kingdom56 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Jun 2012 - 10:48 AM

Thanks for the info ...much appreciated

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.