Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lightroom 5 catalog advice

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ade123
    ade123 e2 Member 1167 forum postsade123 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Sep 2013 - 7:37 PM

Hi,
    I am just about to start using lightroom for the first time and I have a 1tb external drive for my MacBook Pro. I have read in several books etc that its best to store the photos on an external drive and not the hard drive.I just wondered if anyone uses this option and how to go about doing it as I've seen several different ways so am unsure what to do. I read on t
    He adobe site that its best to just store the photoson the external in different folders and then just import them to lightroom and others have said to create a new catalog in a folder on the external drive.

Any help will gratefully received

Adrian

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 Sep 2013 - 7:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96340 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Sep 2013 - 7:53 PM

I store my raw files, lightroom catalog & lightroom previews on an external hard drive ( a G Drive Mini ) and it it works perfectly for my needs.

How you set up the folder structure for your raw files is open for debate but I use a date / location type system

e.g. 2013>20130914_wkpmchainhurst

So within each year I have subfolders.

yesterday I went to a ploughing match at chainhurst ( wkpm= Weald Of Kent Ploughing Match ) hence the folder name shown above.

If I go to different locations on the same day I set up multiple folders for that day.

ade123
    ade123 e2 Member 1167 forum postsade123 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Sep 2013 - 8:01 PM

Could you explain how I make the catalog etc on the external drive as at the moment the default catalog and other data is in my pictures folder on my laptop HD.

Adrian

JJGEE
    15 Sep 2013 - 8:11 PM

Quote: Could you explain how I make the catalog etc on the external drive as at the moment the default catalog and other data is in my pictures folder on my laptop HD.

I would just copy & paste.

Then the next time LR opens you will have to point it to the new location of the catalog ( otherwise it will find the one on your laptop )

If you also move your folders with the raw files then you will also have to tell LR where to find them.
    Suggest you do a search on the internet as there will likely be some tutorial / videos explaining the process.

ade123
    15 Sep 2013 - 8:19 PM

Many thanks for your help

Adrian

tatkinson1983
    15 Sep 2013 - 10:34 PM

press and hold the "alt" key whilst opening lightroom. It was show you all your recent catalogs and allow you to start a new one.

I have one large catalog for personal work with collections in that to separate events etc. Then for every wedding I start a new catalog with collections within that for slideshows, finals, photobooths etc.

scotdiver
    scotdiver  11260 forum posts Scotland1 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Sep 2013 - 1:06 PM

I use a Network Attached Storage raid array for my images, so have to store the catalogue on my Mac's hard drive. I also changed preferences to store pre-sets with catalogue. When I import, I have a meta data pre-set to add my copyright info address etc, and also rename all files using a custom naming pre-set. I use yymmdd_custom_nnnn as the naming pre-set, where custom is the job-name or description and nnnn is a sequence number assigned at loading. If / when I subsequently delete images, I can rerun the naming pre-set to resequence the images.

Once in the master catalogue, I use a structured keyword list to add keywords. So if I shoot from the terrace here, the keyword 83A, will also add the higher levels of village, region, country, continent etc. in the hierarchy when I export.

mikehit
    mikehit  56687 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Sep 2013 - 9:54 PM

I use LR (4.4) and waiting for the LR5 bugs to be sorted out.
    Although I do not use NAS (yet) I have looked at the same thing and agree with what has been said in that it works only with the catalog on a local drive (C drive or external HD to the computer) but the pictures can be on NAS.

My workflow is that I use the laptop to load my pictures to the hard drive (HD), sort them, add keywords etc and delete the rubbish ones. When I log off I get LR to save the backup catalog to the HD. I can then take the HD to my laptop (faster power and better, bigger screen), open LR with the latest catalog on the HD and do any fine editing or printing. When I finish I save the backup catalog to the HD and it is there ready for when I next plug into the laptop.
    Even if I have the pictures on NAS I will still probably have the backup catalog on a pen drive to be transferred between the computers.
    Regards folders, you do not need to do anything fancy - you can create a folder on your HD called 'Ades photos' and when you get LR to transfer the photos, you can instruct it to create a folder based on the date taken (my preference) or create specific folder names as JJGEE says and dump them in there. That's it.
    Some people prefer to click-and-drag their images from the memory card to the directory on the HD and tell LR to 'Add' the photos to the catalog. The number of photos I take I do not see a big difference in time. Getting LR to do it means I do not have to think (!).

One thing I have not researched yet is that when you load your pictures from the CF (or SD) card to the HD you have the option to save to a second location (that is, create a perfect back-up) - can I get LR to save the copies to the NAS? I don't know yet.

If the pictures on your C drive are already in LR, JJGEE's advice is good. You can get LR to move them to the HD but it is quicker to transfer in Mac and point LR to where they are - LR finds them pretty quickly.
    One word of warning - Windows has the unnerving habit of every few months randomly re-assigning a drive letter which means LR cannot find them. I don't know if Macs do the same thing, but I got over this by manually assigning the drive a letter.

JJGEE
    16 Sep 2013 - 10:20 PM

Quote: waiting for the LR5 bugs to be sorted out

Scheduled for 18th September 2013.

keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1023175 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Sep 2013 - 11:09 PM

I spend my life not waiting for Lightroom Bugs to be sorted. Wink

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Sep 2013 - 7:16 AM

Quote: Scheduled for 18th September 2013.

And I've no doubt that there will be a bug within the fix Tongue Or it just won't work and will make the problems worse Tongue

Railcam
    Railcam  8480 forum posts Scotland
    17 Sep 2013 - 10:01 AM

Quote: And I've no doubt that there will be a bug within the fix Tongue Or it just won't work and will make the problems worse Tongue

Now, now Ade, this is not the Grumpy Group Wink

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.