Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lightroom 5 fix due next week

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
25 Jul 2013 - 10:04 PM

See Here: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/07/update-on-hot-issues-in-lightroom-5.html

At last.

Hopefully this will include a fix for the dreadful sharpening and noise reduction when exporting bug.

(Why, when we put a typo into a thread title, can't we edit it? Fic = Fix)

Last Modified By Gundog at 25 Jul 2013 - 10:06 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Jul 2013 - 10:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gundog
26 Jul 2013 - 10:42 AM

...thanks to the guy or gal behind the scenes who fixed the fix typo.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122058 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2013 - 1:10 PM

Thanks for the heads-up. Been a long time coming.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114435 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2013 - 3:56 PM

They charge you all that money, you'd think they'd get it right in the first place especially as the beta was out there for heaven knows how long!....TSK!

Gundog
26 Jul 2013 - 8:46 PM

The story is that they fixed one of the bugs discovered in the Beta and, in so doing, inadvertently introduced a new, worse, one that they didn't discover until the release version had been put on the market.

I have just sent off 16 PDI images for a salon that had to be not more than 1400x1050 pixels - in other words well under one-third of the size of my original D800 files. So I got caught by the bug and had to revert to LR4 to export them.

Happily (if you look on the bright side) Amazon refunded my money for LR5 and I will certainly re-purchase it once I am sure that bug has been sorted. In the meantime, the money is better in my pocket than in Adobe's.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96103 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2013 - 11:21 PM

Quote: especially as the beta was out there for heaven knows how long

8 weeks 15th April to 9th June

But I guess all the work would have been completed before 9th so perhaps the difference was, in reality, only about 7 weeks.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013937 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jul 2013 - 9:43 AM

Quote: The story is that they fixed one of the bugs discovered in the Beta and, in so doing, inadvertently introduced a new, worse, one that they didn't discover until the release version had been put on the market.

Happened to me so many times - the users ask for a tiny change or spot a small bug just before go-live and you think "ohh that will be easy to fix"....

LiamKav
28 Jul 2013 - 1:55 PM

I've just got LR5 (first copy of Lightroom) and was about to start using it as my primary workflow tool. I guess it makes sense to hold off until the patch is released.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 109966 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2013 - 3:22 PM

I must be lucky (or not very demanding in my use of it) I've had LR5 on my machine since its Beta days and its working fine for me, with no significant problems. So much so that I've stopped using 4 completely

Gundog
28 Jul 2013 - 3:53 PM

Quote: I must be lucky (or not very demanding in my use of it) I've had LR5 on my machine since its Beta days and its working fine for me, with no significant problems. So much so that I've stopped using 4 completely

It depends what you do with it Brian.

The most critical bug is the one that results in all output sharpening and noise reduction being lost if you export an image at one-third or less of its original dimensions. So export for use on the web, for use as a PDI or as an entry in most online or magazine competitions, and you lose your sharpening and noise reduction. But, if you are only producing large prints, you probably won't be affected as you are printing from within Lightroom.

I had to revert to LR4 because I was producing a series of DPI images for the Northern Counties Salon and they cannot be larger than 1400x1050 pixels - well under one-third of the size of my Raw files.

But I will certainly repurchase LR5 when the fix is proven. The new features are worth having - but, for me, not at the price of losing my sharpening. (As mentioned above, the bug wasn't in the Beta)

Last Modified By Gundog at 28 Jul 2013 - 3:54 PM
Jestertheclown
28 Jul 2013 - 5:21 PM

Quote: I had to revert to LR4 because I was producing a series of DPI images for the Northern Counties Salon and they cannot be larger than 1400x1050 pixels - well under one-third of the size of my Raw files.

Rather than mess about with various versions of LR, (I believe you even sent one back?); wouldn't it have been easier to export them at their original size, the reduce that file in CS?

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 109966 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2013 - 8:25 PM

Quote: wouldn't it have been easier to export them at their original size, the reduce that file in CS?

that's what I do for my PDI and Web images (except I use the "Edit in" option to move them to PSP/12 then resize them. Don't ask me why since I have CS6, I guess its just a habit I have yet to break Tongue )

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013937 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2013 - 9:37 PM

Quote: that's what I do for my PDI and Web images (except I use the "Edit in" option to move them to PSP/12 then resize them. Don't ask me why since I have CS6, I guess its just a habit I have yet to break Tongue )

I have the same habit Smile

Gundog
28 Jul 2013 - 10:56 PM

The official Adobe "temporary work around" for the bug was to export them at the required size without sharpening or noise reduction and then re-import the jpegs and sharpen or reduce noise on the smaller version before exporting again.

Just too much palaver for me. I use Lightroom as the hub for all my processing, so even on the odd occasions I do use CS6, I always take the Tiffs back into Lightroom for finishing. I think it's because, as someone who spent over 30 years dabbling his fingers in carcinogenic chemicals in a darkroom, I just find the terminology and processes of Lightroom far more intuitive than Photoshop.

Hopefully the coming week will see an end to all this nonsense - judging from the American forums, Adobe really do have egg on their faces over this one.

Jestertheclown
28 Jul 2013 - 11:01 PM

Why would anyone bother with all that?

As i said earlier, just export them, finished, at their full size and re-size them in CS6.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.