Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lightroom is Crap

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
HeathMcDonald

How much memory have you allocated for Lightroom to use and do you use a different disk partition for LR to use as a scratch disk. I ask because in the past I have had problems with LR crashing as there was not enough memory available (both RAM and disk), especially when using the adjustment tools.

I allocated an empty disk partition to be used by LR as a scratch disk and also in the Preferences/File Handling, I set to the Camera Raw Cache settings to 20Gb, as recommended by others. I don't know if this will help and apologies if I am teaching you to suck eggs. Smile

Heath

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Jul 2011 - 8:09 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
8 Jul 2011 - 8:24 PM

Quote: Lightroom is Crap

Don't you just love it when someone attempts to knock an Industry-Standard, world-class product - used by so many Professionals, competent and enthusiastic Amateurs et al - because they can't RTFM.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 8 Jul 2011 - 8:26 PM
JJGEE
JJGEE  96291 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jul 2011 - 8:31 PM

Quote: because they can't RTFM.

Not sure Lightroom comes with "M" let alone a "FM" Wink

Martin Evening's book and the Luminous Landscape Video Tutorials are recommended by myself though Smile

Last Modified By JJGEE at 8 Jul 2011 - 8:31 PM
User_Removed
8 Jul 2011 - 8:44 PM

Exactly JJ.

Google is a wonderful thing..!!

Wink

annettep38
annettep38 e2 Member 3186 forum postsannettep38 vcard France31 Constructive Critique Points
14 Jul 2011 - 6:06 PM

Quote: Why not try Capture One, its free. http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CFMQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dphotographer.co.uk%2Fcaptureone%2F&ei=lvb9TbXjAYzcsga14ejtDQ&usg=AFQjCNEnMs5wmUAB4kSFkhH391pwDb8Ncw

thanks for the hint.. I could simply not afford lightroom.. to be honest Adobe CS1 still works for me but why not try something else

lemmy
lemmy  71843 forum posts United Kingdom
18 Jul 2011 - 11:44 PM

I think LR is the best piece of photo software I've ever used. I've had and used Photoshop since V1 when we used it on my newspaper and tried lots of others since. Since buying LR a couple of years ago, I hardly use Photoshop at all.

If Lightroom works without trouble on 100s of thousands of Computers all over the world, it lacks logic to blame the software if it doesn't work on yours.

It reminds me of Steve Jones' parable which covers this sort of thing.

If you put a spider on a table and shout at it from close quarters, it runs away. If you cut off it's legs and shout at it, it does not run away. This proves that it's ears are in its legs.

Knickeronian
19 Jul 2011 - 8:33 AM

Having adopted Lightroom as the main workflow and RAW processing package since setting up my photography business at the start of the year, I must say that I find it absolutely superb. In particular, the ability to set up one-click presets is a fantastic time saver. I find that I only want to move into PS CS5 for about one image in every 100. LR handles all the rest perfectly.

nimbus
nimbus 
12 Sep 2013 - 6:37 AM

Quote: I am using Lightroom 3, which I bought to use with CS5. However, when editing my photos, Lightroom keeps crashing.

This is driving me nuts. I am a computer expert and have tried everthing. I feel I should have bought other software.

I think lightroom is crap.

I would not recomment this software to anyone.

nimbus
nimbus 
12 Sep 2013 - 6:48 AM

Lightroom 4 is crap. I signed up here just to say so.
I am no computer whizzkid, but neither am I stupid.
I also purchased the book adobe lightroom4 in a vain effort to understand what the hell was expected of me.
I have now for the second and last time uninstalled it.

My advice? Dont listen to or believe all the hype. It really is crud.

monstersnowman
12 Sep 2013 - 6:50 AM

Quote: I am using Lightroom 3, which I bought to use with CS5. However, when editing my photos, Lightroom keeps crashing.

This is driving me nuts. I am a computer expert and have tried everthing. I feel I should have bought other software.

I think lightroom is crap.

I would not recomment this software to anyone.

It obviously isnt crap as I, and a multitude of others use it day in, day out without any issues and think it is a great tool ... Maybe the issue with the crashes lies closer to home than with Adobe and as such it is more to do with you, your system and your attempts to sort out the issues than with LR

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43858 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway25 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2013 - 7:29 AM

Quote: Lightroom 4 is crap. I signed up here just to say so.
I also purchased the book adobe lightroom4 in a vain effort to understand what the hell was expected of me.

That is why all these programmes are available as free downloads for a trial period. No-one has to believe anything they read - they can try for free themselves before deciding.

MichaelMelb_AU
12 Sep 2013 - 8:00 AM

It is funny really to see computer "experts" telling that they cannot get a handle on elementary things. Yes, Lightroom crashed on me - a couple of times, but did it in a very "polite" manner, with warnings and no files lost. It did not require computer scientist qualifications from me to figure out later that LR is an extremely memory hungry application, does not like multitasking and working with files on external HDDs (except USB3) - even on my 1 y.o computer ( love that power!). It's not alone, and not unusual. I am trying out full version of Silkypix at the moment. To appreciate LR snappiness and fluency one should have a go with that. Yet, would Silkypix be a bit cheaper - I would not whinge about that too. The one who wishes to find the way - will.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96291 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2013 - 9:01 AM

I logged on this morning just to ask why you think Lightroom 4 is crap ?

Last Modified By JJGEE at 12 Sep 2013 - 9:02 AM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014131 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2013 - 9:26 AM

A well reasoned argument indeed - the software review magazines will soon be out of work if you keep posting such in-depth analysis for free.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014131 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2013 - 9:35 AM

Quote: I am a computer expert and have tried everthing.

Its funny, I have worked in IT for very many years, with many extremely clever and skilled people and I don't think I have ever heard one of them refer to themselves as an expert...just saying Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.