Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lightroom is it worth it?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

sidaorb
sidaorb  83857 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2013 - 9:50 AM

Having never used it before and unsure of the difference between LR and CS and as LR4 appears to be on offer for silly money, is it worth a dabble. I currently used an old version of ACD Pro for everything.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Feb 2013 - 9:50 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit  56692 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2013 - 10:09 AM

If it does what you want, yes.
If it doesn't, then no Wink

LR is probably the best image management system out there and the beauty of the last 3 versions is that it has improved the built-in tools. So if your image processing is limited to global and local changes to tone/colour/exposure then LR will very likely be all you need. The spot healing is good but nowhere near as good as the healing/cloning tools in Photoshop/Elements. The main thing LR cannot do is manipulate the image itself: for example stretch, obliterate large objects or combine images.
I, like many others, have hardly touched Photoshop/Elements since getting LR but as I say it depends on what you want from it.

If you think it is 'silly money' then why not have a go anmd dabble. Or you can download a free trial version from Adobe.

Last Modified By mikehit at 18 Feb 2013 - 10:09 AM
JJGEE
JJGEE  96342 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2013 - 10:10 AM

Quote: is it worth a dabble

Yes

Cannot comment with definitive knowledge on the difference between LR & CS, I am sure others will be along that can explain it.

As far as I am concerned LR has everything I need for my purposes.

Dave_Canon
18 Feb 2013 - 10:24 AM

Once you use LR properly, you will hardly need Photoshop. The current version of the Raw editor is particularly effective. Yes you will get a similar version with PS CS6 but LR4 is much cheaper than a Photoshop upgrade. The real value of Lightroom is that you can manage the entire workflow from LR including linking to other editors and Plug-ins such as PS, Elements, Oloneo, Photomatix, Topaz and more. For those who print, the softproofing in LR is excellent and much more useful than previous Photoshop versions of soft proofing.

Dave

fraser
fraser  10631 forum posts Scotland14 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2013 - 10:31 AM

Definitely. I just ran the trial version and fell in love with it and purchased it. I run CS5 as well but use it less now.

Fraser

puertouk
puertouk  31080 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2013 - 10:47 AM

At £65 it a steal and the top pro's use it on all their images, so if its good enough for them, it should be good enough for you.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96342 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2013 - 11:04 AM

Quote: For those who print, the softproofing in LR is excellent

That is one of two features in LR that I cannot get my head around Sad

But what I do use for printing, and no idea of it makes any difference, is ICC paper profiles downloaded from online printing laboratories.
But if yo do your own printing then paper manufacturers have them for their papers as well.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53672 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2013 - 12:30 PM

Since getting it, i can't live without it - and i still only use a tiny amount of the features. For simple one layer single or mass editing and excellent cataloguing, exporting etc its brilliant.
CS6 and Photoshop elements are more for the editing side of things, I used LR4 and Elements 10 for a while, but then like you got a too good to refuse deal for CS6.
At the very least download a trial for a while.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2013 - 12:47 PM

I haven't been able to justify the cost of it, despite it being an attractive program, but then again DPP/CS3/PSPX does everything I need with the exception of Zerene for my stacked imagery. I suppose if I didn't have budgetary constraints or I was a pro that could recuperate some of the cost against tax (no offence you pro's out there) I would probably go down the route along with all the other latest and greatest programs.

GlennH
GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2013 - 12:56 PM

Quote: But what I do use for printing, and no idea of it makes any difference, is ICC paper profiles downloaded from online printing laboratories.

Probably the primary advantage is being able to convert to the printer profile using the rendering intent of your choice—the effects of which you'd ideally be able to see by softproofing.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2013 - 1:02 PM

Since getting Lightroom I rarely use Photoshop, only opening it up if I want to do something that requires masks or cloning. Lightroom is an excellent tool which I think should be in the armoury of any photographer who wants to make sure their photos are at their best before printing and/or displaying.

Railcam
Railcam  8480 forum posts Scotland
18 Feb 2013 - 1:55 PM

Another here who rarely uses an imaging editor (Photoshop, Elements etc) as nearly everything can be done in Lightroom. The Adjustment Brush tool is so much quicker than using masks.

It is easy to print from, produce slide shows and catalogue all my images. I would be lost without it.
Keith

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014844 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2013 - 2:08 PM

Like most on this thread, I rarely open Photoshop these days.

I don't think people realise how powerful it is - I did a survey on stuff people would like to learn, and photoshop got about 5 times more replies than Lightroom. It's just not that well known to the "general public" yet - or "Photoshop" is ubiquitous

I set up an estate agent with "import presets" and an "Export" preset - so now when his chimps come back with a CF card, they take about 5 minutes to create bright, properly sized and watermarked photos ready for their website

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2013 - 2:38 PM

Think I'm going to have a rethink on LR, especially if it cuts down on the mish mash of programs I use at the moment.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2013 - 2:49 PM

You'll never look back Ade. Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.